First ever desktop....no idea where to start :(

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming you're planning to building from scratch, here's a few things to make a list of...

Intel or AMD for CPU? - Will help determine motherboard

NVIDIA or AMD for GPU? - Personal preference here

Single or dual/multi GPU? - May be determined by what resolution you want to play at

Monitor size / resolution? - Are you happy with 1080p, or do you want 1440p, or even 4K in the future?

Case size? - More space is better for airflow and allows greater component choice

Have a think about that stuff and then you can start planning the complete build ;)

I recently built my first pc and learned a lot of good lessons while doing it. With that much to spend you should be able to build a beast that will last a while. I knew basically nothing before i built mine, here are a few things that you should consider.

How much RAM (and also how much you might want to expand to) will determine what size sticks to buy (4GB vs. 8GB etc...).

Wireless or wired connection (some motherboards have wireless built in, or you can buy a card which will take up a slot on the board).

Sound. If you want to use 'simulated' surround sound headphones, you will probably need to get a dedicated sound card that supports dolby digital live/dts connect.

One thing to consider when building your own pc is will all these components work together. Sometimes its better to buy a preconfigured system with support and a warranty. I am not saying you have to go this route but something to consider. There are enough knowledgeable people on this board that will be able to help you along the way.

• 3 weeks later...
Really? If you have 2k, intel is the only option because AMD is for budget builds.... and to the topic, heres your build: Intel Core i7-4770K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance C70 (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker

I have to agree, if gaming is the goal, Intel is the way to go. I always start with the processor/mobo and go from there. On the motherboard, pay close attention to the chipset. e.g. If you go with a 4th gen Intel setup and you want to be able to overclock, you'll be looking for Z87. If OCing isn't necessary, but you still want SLI, a H87 can save you some cash.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If you've never built a custom PC yourself.. it can be really daunting. You might be better off just selecting a custom build from iBuyPower and going with that. At least you get customer support you can call and a warranty on the build it's self (not just the manufacturer's warranties on the parts).

• 7 years later...
On 3/20/2014 at 8:33 AM, Swoosh said:

You best define what you exactly want and need.

Begin with which kind of games you want to play and on what resolution etc.

Here are some examples of builds >

PC Buyer's Guide - current systems | Hardware.Info United States| space bar clicker

In exchange for a small cost, several online stores give customizable desktop PC hardware templates that you may tweak to your heart's content.

Edited by Ed McFarland