eGPU solution for newbie on a Clevo P150HM

wtfs

Hi all

After my 6990m crapped out on me, I've decided to take jump on the eGPU wagon after doing the math and research.

However, after the swallowing the load of documentations, i just want to double check what ive read and understood is correct.

1) I have a Clevo P150HM motherboard, Series 6 Chipset to be exact, as far as i know i havent seen anyone do a eGPU setup on it.

2) It has a Realtek 8188CE WLAN card which should mean that i have a pcie connection and not a usb connection to the mpcie slot right?

RL8188CEpost-23794-14494997247796_thumb.jpg

I had a quick look and the RL8188CE fits in the slot pretty snug which means that i need to break off the extension legs on the PM3N to get it in there? it doesnt look like there are threads running on the underside of the PCB.

3) Assuming i do have a pcie connected mpcie slot, i definitely need the PM3N mpcie adaptor but im quite lost on whether to get the PE4L or the PE4H

4) Now because i (think i) only have a SandyBridge mPCIe 2.0, i would only have 5GT/s of bandwidth so which gpu setup should i go for for the best performance before saturation against price (im thinking GTX760)

5) Am i missing anything else thats uber important?

Cheers and thanks for reading this

post-23794-14494997247636_thumb.jpg

You can't do optimus since the HD3000 is not powered on the P150HM. The laptop also lacks the ports to do an x2 config.

The cheapest good card you can get is the 670mx. It's better than your old 6990m and will beat any eGPU config you setup. The fastest cards that work are the 7970m and 680m, but the 680m can be tricky since it must arrive with the right BIOS or your laptop cannot boot.

Get the 670mx from rjtech for the best price (it's listed under the P150EM/P170EM). The others are cheapest on ebay.

You can't do optimus since the HD3000 is not powered on the P150HM. The laptop also lacks the ports to do an x2 config.

The cheapest good card you can get is the 670mx. It's better than your old 6990m and will beat any eGPU config you setup. The fastest cards that work are the 7970m and 680m, but the 680m can be tricky since it must arrive with the right BIOS or your laptop cannot boot.

Get the 670mx from rjtech for the best price (it's listed under the P150EM/P170EM). The others are cheapest on ebay.

wow thats a real bummer, i had wrongly ordered a dell 7970m and it didnt work due to the ec incompatiblity. so now im just deciding whether to get the rjtech's 7970m or an egpu setup. however it says not compatible with hm models, wont a bios flash solve that?

Clevo 7970m works fine. There is a trick with it though since with the default vBIOS it will not work in a P150HM. The laptop can still boot though so you can blind flash it to the proper vBIOS.

You need a non-enduro vBIOS. Nospheratu wrote a bunch for you to choose from: http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/4428-modified-clevo-7970m-vbios-pack-non-enduro.html

A guide on the flash procedure here: [GUIDE] - Blind-Flashing AMD 7970M modded vBIOS for Clevo P1xxHM Laptops

• 3 weeks later...
wow thats a real bummer, i had wrongly ordered a dell 7970m and it didnt work due to the ec incompatiblity. so now im just deciding whether to get the rjtech's 7970m or an egpu setup. however it says not compatible with hm models, wont a bios flash solve that?

wtfs, please share your experience and what you have finally did to sole your problem with P150HM.

I am paralytically waking in your shoes right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.