flash vbios?

AviatorX

so my 675m died and i bought a 680m pulled from another clevo off of ebay. i have a few ?s 1st) do i have to flash the vbios when i get it because i read u had to flash it when u install it.2nd) i dont have enough time in windows to uninstall the 675m drivers so if i put the new card in will it allow me to uninstall the 675m drivers and install the 680m drivers without it wrecking my new card? thx for answering my ?s

EDIT i have a np9150

The vBIOS should not be a problem on this system, only P-HM require certain revisions.

Windows may complain and maybe crash because of the driver, but that's a minor issue.

Try to boot the system with your current card to uninstall the driver, safe mode (Shift+F8 during boot) should work as it runs on iGPU...

i recommend to do so:

1. Unplug ur faulty GTX675M

2. Boot into the windows with ur GMA and fully uninstall ur driver

3. Plug in ur new GC, and isntall driver

(however i think it's not really necessary as NV should b smart enough to accept new nvidia display card)

Thanks guys for your help. I got the 680m installed and everything went smoothly. I replaced the stock thermal pads with some fujipoly ones i bought from frozencpu. Im gna be watching the temps when i game , just to be sure i applied the thermal pads and paste the right way. I dont want to have this expensive card turn into an overpriced paper weight. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The GTX680M was a hell of an upgrade for me. In your case I think (once you become more comfortable with the Overclocking aspect) you can use the MSI vBios' without a hitch. For the P170HM users (like myself) We're limited to the 80.00.03.29 bios from svl7 or stock flash from our reseller. I recently acquired one from Eurocom and so far so good. Stock clocks SUCK but temps are amazing. ~55 degrees in Guild Wars 2 with the mild OC of +135/+450 in MSI Afterburner

The GTX680M was a hell of an upgrade for me. In your case I think (once you become more comfortable with the Overclocking aspect) you can use the MSI vBios' without a hitch. For the P170HM users (like myself) We're limited to the 80.00.03.29 bios from svl7 or stock flash from our reseller. I recently acquired one from Eurocom and so far so good. Stock clocks SUCK but temps are amazing. ~55 degrees in Guild Wars 2 with the mild OC of +135/+450 in MSI Afterburner

2c : nvidia inspector is all you really need for under clocking or overclocking, Just use stock Vbios and create a couple of shortcuts on the desktop to your preferred GPU settings. MSI Afterburner is all you need for monitoring Temps and clocks and anything else you would want to monitor.

That's my 2c......

Should you oc with nvidia inspector or with msi ab? Reason I ask is msi ab won't oc my gpu.

Odd. MSI AB worked for me, but it's an artificial clock of only +135 core. You can use NVInspector to OC, but ensure you don't have them both vying for the control over the clock rate. I've used them both, and so far I enjoy both. If you want to go above the 135+ on the core, you'll need a flashed vbios. If it's a Clevo GTX card, you need to find the Kepler Vbios mods and download the 80.0.29.0.0.1 OC edition for Clevo cards. The MSI ones work as well, and I've used a couple...but the MSI vBios still has some glitches with the Clevo boards.

If you really don't care too much to overclock, I've also noticed that the MSI GTX 680M vbios has a stock clock rate of 771MHz over the Clevo rated @ 719MHz. Power consumption is a bit greater since it runs at about 1.020 volts over the .987v @ full load.