12" Lenovo X201 + GTX560Ti@2Gbps+c-EC1 (PE4L 2.1b) + Win8.1 [qapn]

qapn

PHi guys. This was my first eGPU build, just thought I'd show for others interested in a similar setup. My goal was minimal time spent putting it together, and no software issues/dependency.

Laptop specs:

• Lenovo ThinkPad X201
  • Intel Core i5-520m, 2.4GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics (1st generation)
  • ExpressCard 1.0
  • 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB DDR3-1066)
  • 256GB Samsung 830 SSD
  • Ultrabase w/internal 1TB SATA drive
  • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

eGPU specs:

• MSI GeForce 560 Ti Hawk w/1GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • PE4L EC060A 2.1b
  • Corsair CX430 PSU
  • Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced case

The build process/design:

The actual building was easy. I tested it all out of the case first to make sure there were no issues. The GPU is mounted normally in the case, propped up underneath by the PE4L. The PE4L is not screwed in, I have boosted it a little off the base of the case with a small bit of cardboard shoved underneath. The PSU is similarly mounted normally inside the case. Selected this PSU because it's quiet and modular (you'll struggle to fit all the cables for a non-modular PSU in this case). ExpressCard adapter comes out the back where the motherboard IO shield normally is.

The way the adapter comes out works well since it just flips up right into the ExpressCard slot of my ThinkPad. Power is toggled by the main power switch on the PSU, the case button itself would only work if I kept it pressed in. The dock itself contains a SATA caddy, so I have an internal 1TB drive on that with all my games and video editing stuff.

Docking and undocking:

To undock, you need to open the laptop's screen, then disable the 560 Ti in device manager. Then you hit the undock button on the Ultrabase, disconnect the eGPU, and pull the laptop off. Docking is similar, just have to re-enable it in device manager. Means you never need to turn off the laptop or put it to sleep to dock/undock.

Software:

I couldn't find much in the way of answers to this online when I was setting mine up, but it's far simpler than the old resources you'll find imply. There are no notebook specific drivers you need to mod any more. Install the latest Nvidia desktop drivers for your GPU (mine were literally just the latest Forceware drivers) and it will automatically come to life. Optimus works so long as you have the right eGPU/iGPU combo, which I did. Nothing special needed, no boot procedures or programs.

Issues:

Chrome lags a lot on some websites. There seems to be no explanation for why some sites are very slow to scroll around, and some are fine. I've fiddled with the Chrome hardware acceleration flags, but something is definitely amiss. Has anyone else had a similar issue? It's fine at 1920x1080 if I am using my internal graphics.

Performance is unpredictable, it depends on how the game or software works in terms of bandwidth demands. Battlefield 4 is great until you're on a large map and it's constantly streaming textures. Unreal Engine 3 games, Source Engine games etc all run maxed out at 1920x1080 without any issue, with something like 80-120 frames on things like Team Fortress 2, Mirror's Edge, and Mass Effect 2. Bodes well for Titanfall, which uses Source (just missed the chance to test the beta on the eGPU).

Cost:

I spent around $220 on parts besides the GPU, which was my desktop's old GPU. You could probably do it cheaper - the case is neat but unnecessary if you're not bothered or can build your own, the PSU was OTT and just a reliable and easy way to build it. You could probably salvage one and achieve the same results. Totally worth it though.

Photos:

post-19497-14494997233265_thumb.jpg

The full setup on my desk.

post-19497-14494997233517_thumb.jpg

The case is sideways on the desk.

post-19497-14494997233765_thumb.jpg

Side view.

post-19497-14494997234061_thumb.jpg

Playing Battlefield 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 8 months later...

16x cards work in 1x slots. I replaced my ThinkPad with a Macbook retina recently and so don't use it anymore, but as soon as there's an affordable expressCard to thunderbolt adapter I'll use it with my MBP.