I F-ed up real bad. uefi help.

ethopianprince

So in attempts to make my unruly machine (y400) boot from the USB for the unlocked bios mod. I fiddled with the settings for the uefi (bios), clever me decided it'd be a good idea to mess around with the BOOT options in the uefi. Changed the boot options all the legacy (where applicable), changed the optimized settings to other OS (other than windows 8, and again changed the boot mode to legacy support rather than the UEFI. Now, after sobering up and slapping my self several times, i regret that decision. Can anyone provide any support as to how to revert back to the standard UEFI, and how to boot with USB on this system so i can install a real network card and not carry around a massive dongle. Anything ive tried has been shot down in flames for the past few hours and i really dont want to disassemble the laptop to remove the UEFI battery to reset it (if that still works). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Hell, if you can solve all those problems and somehow use tech wizardry to also solve my graphics driver issues ill gift you.

There should just be a single option to change from legacy boot to UEFI boot. The BIOS may call legacy booting mode MBR and UEFI mode GPT. You may have also changed the boot order. Just make sure the HDD/SSD is first so you can boot win8 again. Nothing else should require changing to make the OS boot again.

The only other option related to boot should be secure boot, which can be left off.

At this point , the biggest problem is that I can't load into the uefi because at startup the computer just shoes a blank screen, no Lenovo logo, as of the device is bricked .

Have you tried stroking your keyboard from the ESC key to the F12 key + Delete? Perhaps you might be able to pull up the BIOS window that way and it's just not showing your a splash.

Or did you attempt the BIOS update already and it went bad during the update? If so, then it might be bricked. There may be a way to recover it, I'm not familiar enough with Lenovos to give further insight.

As with what @Khenglish said, just change your boot option back to UEFI / GPT / w/e it says in your BIOS and you should be good to go.

---

You should have to do anything in particular to boot from USB, if you have a bootmenu option (when it's working properly), you should be able to select your USB drive and boot to it without messing in the BIOS. If it is remotely smart enough, it should load legacy roms when needed.

Sadly all possible keys were mashed many times, some in a fit of anger while others in a fit of sadness. And the new bios was not flashed at all. Just tinkered with the settings in the bios and boom . Could this be because of a damaged hdd?

Other info: when the laptop is turned on and there is nothing showing on the screen, pressing the power button shuts it down immediately, no long holds or anything. Plus there was one instance where I used the Lenovo reset key to turn it on and it made loud beeping noises, only once though. The loud fan was the only source of sound thereafter.

Have you tried entering BIOS using the NOVO button?

Yep but it's all good now, at the time the novo button didn't work either.

Today: after leaving the laptop off and charging for about 5-6 days the novo button finally gave me my options.

So I got to go back into bios and UN f**k up everything. Thank you all for your replies!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I take it the NOVO button is the one on the side where the power adapter goes in? That's the only way I've ever been able to get into my BIOS.

That is indeed the Novo button.

I'm surprised you had this much of an issue with your BIOS before even attempting to mod it. Are you sure you want to go through with the process after this fiasco? Flashing your BIOS will only give more options to tinker with.