[TUTORIAL] Change AMD 8970M voltage

bauto601

• 1 month later...
Nice to read that you solved the problem. All the bioses are modded with VBE7 and the original files are coming from my own 8970M.

Sup man!

Just a question, i'm thinking about trying these bioses, any recommendation? Today my computer is full stock but i wanna try out to OC my rigg!

By the way i have CrossfireX with 8970m, the process to flash the vbios is the same??

Just some information bout my temps:

Room Temp : 22ºC -- 71.6ºF

GPU's Iddle : 36ºC -- 96.8ºF

Full Lolad: 77ºC -- 170.6ºF

I've run kombustor stress test fullscreen (1920x1080 4xMSAA) for 2 hours

I want to know if these temps are ok to run any of those bioses, and how much should i go for the OC ??

This is my card conf and bios (should i change it?).

post-6855-144949979062_thumb.png

That are some wonderful temperatures. I think you should go for it and take the 1.050V bios to have a small voltage bump. I run my P157SM by myself and i'm running 950mhz at the core at the moment. If you want to go any higher (1ghz+) you should go for the 1.075V bios. And if that isn't enough i can make a 1.100V bios for you :43_002: If you want to flash the vbios in the first and second card you just have to read this:

<b style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">First, we want to check if you are flashing the vbios to the right card, so we use the following command:

atiflash -i <gpu number="">

So i have only one gpu, so i will use the following command to check if i'm flashing the right gpu:

atiflash -i 0

0 is the number of the first gpu, but you always got to check it before you are going to flash. And if it's not gpu number 0, you can try gpu number 1 or 2 or even 3 tongue.png

So after we determined which gpu number is the right number we will use the following command to flash the gpu:

atiflash -p <gpu number=""><bios file="">

So i have only one gpu and the bios file is called Thames.rom so i will use the following command:

atiflash -p 0 Thames.rom

That's it, you just flashed a new vbios in your 8970M!

</bios></gpu></gpu></b>But now you you don't have to determine for one gpu which number is which gpu but now you have to do it for 2 numbers. (for 2 gpu's instead of one)

That are some wonderful temperatures. I think you should go for it and take the 1.050V bios to have a small voltage bump. I run my P157SM by myself and i'm running 950mhz at the core at the moment. If you want to go any higher (1ghz+) you should go for the 1.075V bios. And if that isn't enough i can make a 1.100V bios for you :43_002: If you want to flash the vbios in the first and second card you just have to read this:

<b style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">First, we want to check if you are flashing the vbios to the right card, so we use the following command:

atiflash -i <gpu number="">

So i have only one gpu, so i will use the following command to check if i'm flashing the right gpu:

atiflash -i 0

0 is the number of the first gpu, but you always got to check it before you are going to flash. And if it's not gpu number 0, you can try gpu number 1 or 2 or even 3 tongue.png

So after we determined which gpu number is the right number we will use the following command to flash the gpu:

atiflash -p <gpu number=""><bios file="">

So i have only one gpu and the bios file is called Thames.rom so i will use the following command:

atiflash -p 0 Thames.rom

That's it, you just flashed a new vbios in your 8970M!

</bios></gpu></gpu>But now you you don't have to determine for one gpu which number is which gpu but now you have to do it for 2 numbers. (for 2 gpu's instead of one)

</b>Thanks for the kind answer man!! i really appreciate

Right now i'm testing it with trixx and puting my gpu core up to 970 with 1.050V and running some stress test the temps are nice for both gpus about 83~85

I dont' know if it's right but when i tried to flash the Thames.rom i got an error version mismatch, but i can change the voltage in trixx, and running the stress test and monitoring with gpuz the voltage changed to 1.050 and when i stop i goes back to .900 did the flash do the job or not?!??!

Another point wow much more can i go with this OC inside the "safe zone"??

Thanks for the kind answer man!! i really appreciate

Right now i'm testing it with trixx and puting my gpu core up to 970 with 1.050V and running some stress test the temps are nice for both gpus about 83~85

I dont' know if it's right but when i tried to flash the Thames.rom i got an error version mismatch, but i can change the voltage in trixx, and running the stress test and monitoring with gpuz the voltage changed to 1.050 and when i stop i goes back to .900 did the flash do the job or not?!??!

Another point wow much more can i go with this OC inside the "safe zone"??

Hmm, that's pretty weird, if you get an version mismatch it will mean that i have an different vbios. If you send me your vbios i can edit it to the settings you want, or you can do it yourself ofcourse :) You don't have a safe max clock, it's all about heat and voltage. I recommend you to not go over 1.075v for 27/7 and stay under de 85 degrees celcius for your temperature. (BTW, it did not flash it)

Hmm, that's pretty weird, if you get an version mismatch it will mean that i have an different vbios. If you send me your vbios i can edit it to the settings you want, or you can do it yourself ofcourse :) You don't have a safe max clock, it's all about heat and voltage. I recommend you to not go over 1.075v for 27/7 and stay under de 85 degrees celcius for your temperature. (BTW, it did not flash it)

I'm working at the momment, but after i go home i can extract the vbios using the "-s" option both of my cards are the same.

Then i'll attach them to the next post and if you please (pretty please) change it i'll be very happy :D

O yeah!!! In the gif that i attached earlier you can see the bios version that i'm using !

Sup Man!!!

As i told you before here is my bios :D well i hope that i did the dump in the right way!!

I couldn't attach the file but i uploaded it i can send to your email too if you pm me the address !

test.rom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow this thread isn`t dead :P

By the way p375sm is awesome, when hbm mobile gpu`s come out i hope they stay with MXM 3.0.

By the way, im using all stock with 30ºC on both gpus, i want to oc so bad, but as i stated before the vbios that is here give's me a big mismatch ....

i even posted my vbios here to someone change it for me and i can Oc without care :D

• 4 months later...

So,I've saved my original BIOS via ATIFLASH, edited it (variable TDP and VCore to 1.025V) and saved it to my card. Works fine now, but is there a way to enable voltage control in windows with VBE7?

I want to test the lowest VCore for standard clocks but don't want to do this by flashing it directly to my card before testing.

Why should it damage my card if I slightly undervolt it?

I just wanna try out different voltages without fixing the values directly in VBIOS, so I want to use a tool like After Burner or Trixx to try them. But none of these tools could read / change the voltages, even if I use the -xcl Command of After Burner. There has to be a way to unlock the voltage control...

I just wanna try out different voltages without fixing the values directly in VBIOS, so I want to use a tool like After Burner or Trixx to try them. But none of these tools could read / change the voltages, even if I use the -xcl Command of After Burner. There has to be a way to unlock the voltage control...

Nospheratu & svl7 made a 7970m vBIOS a while back that allowed overvolting in Trixx. The slider could go down as well, but it had no effect.

The card can likely do .975V or 1.0V stable at default clocks. Do be careful when trying to go below 1V, as there are stories of people's cards suddenly becoming inoperable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because 7970m unstable by it self

Quality is quiet poor and problem with chip.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Hi, 6 month left ago after the last message. Most Vbioses are attaches in topic, that is stable? In default voltage, my gpu with full loading have a 70C. What is modified vbios you recommended for me? Thanks.