Clevo p150hm GFX just broke (ati hd6990M)

Theodorv

Hey :-)

My GFX just broke (hd6990m)

I was playing a game when all of a sudden the screen turns black, i reboot and rejoins the game. After about 30 sec my screen is all messed up. showing one half right, and the other half wrong on the screen. Then it goes black again. I reboot, and when the windows logo finish loading it just turn black. I boot up in safe mode and deletes my gtx drivers, this helps. But when i reinstall them the problem occur again. i tryed getting older versions but its the same outcome. Ive tryed a fresh install of OS (w7) but as soon as i reboot after installing a Gfx driver

So.. My question to you guys is that, what possibilites do i have when thinking of replacing the card with the same or even a better one? im not interessted in spending over 400 $ and it have to be from EU. (tax etc)

Ive been looking at this card

New NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB DDR5 MXM 3 0 Type B for Clevo Alienware | eBay

But will it work in my Clevo p150hm ?

• 2 weeks later...

hey, sorry, i'm a bit late in convo, but i have the same situation here: my 6990m is dying and i considered swapping it with 7970m. there's one thing that is unclear to me and this issue was brought into attention in the other thread out there (but it doesn't seem to be active any more). the question is: whether only 7970m v1.2 clevo cards work with p1x0hm (by "work" i mean they can be blind-flashed with the correct vbios in the first place) or v1.1 should be compatible too? as things stand i don't see v1.2 on ebay, only this and some dell ones. so i guess i need some advice from experienced members. thanks in advance!

update, if anyone reads this: i've found a post on some other forum out there that confirms only revision 1.2 of 7970m works with p1x0hm machines. i've asked upgradeyourlaptop on ebay whether they were planning to restock upgrade kits for p1x0hm and they replied that the required cards were no more available from the manufacturer. so i ended up with buying 680m instead.