Lenovo y400 Charger issues

ahhchuonu

i have to go thru these steps to power on my laptop. first i remove battery, then i plug my ac adapter in, then i power on my laptop. last i plug my battery back in. i have to do this every time. once laptop is on and charging, if i remove the ac adapter and plug it back in, it wont recognize that the charger is plugged in. any ideas what i have to do to fix this? also i lag in games now too

It sounds kind of like somethigns messed up with your charger port. You could look at the pin inside it to see if its bent or something. But if that doesnt work, and you're still covered under warentee, I'd try and contact them to see if they are able to fix it on their end. Good luck getting it figured out though.

I can't provide a solution to the charging problem, but in terms of lagging games, the power profile for the computer when it's not plugged in really limits your GPU's ability. Make sure that the computer is charging when you play games or change the power profile. Also, makes sure you have your profile on "high performance" when plugged in while you're gaming.

If the battery and the adapter are 100% working, than the issue could lay at the motherboard.

I'd check the adapter if it's outputting 20 volts with a multimeter, if that's the case, it could be time to send the laptop back to Lenovo to get it fixed

• 1 month later...

I'm having the exact same issue with my Y400 after running the battery gauge reset. Really regretting that decision now. The computer will charge with my 170w charger but not the 120w charger that came with the computer unless I perform the steps listed by the OP.