All Memory is Not Created Equal - HyperX 2133 CL12 versus Ripjaws 2133 CL11

Hello sorry for late reply, which ram stick did you need spd from. If you still are tinkering on your ram I would be glad to help.

Yes I am, but apparently I need either too use either an older bios(dell thing) or buy thaiphoon burner first. Or is there a way to do this without thaiphoon burner? Im using an i7 sandy bridge for latitude E6420, sorry about late reply.

talking about it here also

http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-7.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/9950-getting-new-sodimms-kingston-hyperx-2133-however-3.html

Okay, so I went through all the old bios and the highest I could get it to was 1867 at 3rd latest bios. Any thoughts?

That still is a good speed :) vs 1600mhz. That may be the best the system will do.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I cleared the CMOS just in case because I thought that might be what was happening. There are no XMP profiles on this memory.

Ah, I learned something new. I was not aware of this. The Kingston is 8 per side. The Ripjaws worked flawlessly, very stable... just unacceptably slower.

Spoiler

[ATTACH]10907[/ATTACH]

I grabbed a pair of Kingston KHX21S12P1K2/8 @ 2133Mhz cause the shop that I bought them had a picture with dual rank memories, but it seems like these sticks are not like yours...

They are single rank (8 x 512MB) while yours are dual rank (16 x 256MB chips) and they have SKHynix chips while yours have Samsung chips...

The good think is that as soon as I connected them to my E6430 they automatically clocked @ 2133 (no tweak needed).

They are bad overclockers though. I couldn't raise my BCLK more than 104MHz resulting that the best AIDA64 result was @ 2216MHz CL12.

Spoiler

dump for anyone interested

Although I am impressed with the performance gain I am a bit disappointed with the results... I was hoping to go over 30K (dual rank modules) and a bit more BCLK headroom. Maybe I will return them and look for a stick with Samsung chips.

EDIT: This was an issue with my i7-3630QM's memory controller. With my new 3720QM BCLK goes up to 104,9 breaking the 30K barrier @2234MHz.

Time to try some 2400MHz performance.

EDIT2: Still no 2400MHz possible... to be investigated...

• 2 weeks later...

I grabbed a pair of Kingston KHX21S12P1K2/8 @ 2133Mhz cause the shop that I bought them had a picture with dual rank memories, but it seems like these sticks are not like yours...

They are single rank (8 x 512MB) while yours are dual rank (16 x 256MB chips) and they have SKHynix chips while yours have Samsung chips...

The good think is that as soon as I connected them to my E6430 they automatically clocked @ 2133 (no tweak needed).

They are bad overclockers though. I couldn't raise my BCLK more than 104MHz resulting that the best AIDA64 result was @ 2216MHz CL12.

Spoiler

dump for anyone interested

Although I am impressed with the performance gain I am a bit disappointed with the results... I was hoping to go over 30K (dual rank modules) and a bit more BCLK headroom. Maybe I will return them and look for a stick with Samsung chips.

EDIT: This was an issue with my i7-3630QM's memory controller. With my new 3720QM BCLK goes up to 104,9 breaking the 30K barrier @2234MHz.

Time to try some 2400MHz performance.

EDIT2: Still no 2400MHz possible... to be investigated...
Hey congrats very cool. I got about the same oc on my 2133 2x8gb chips and they won me a competition on HWbot a HyperX competition. Cool Timohour still a respectable and awesome overclock and gain in performance. congrats again :)))) my current project is 1867mhz for my xeon cpu i just got. Have those 4gb sticks of Hyperx Impact on 1867mhz CL8-10-12-29-30-177-1T i cant se to get the Xeon to us 2133mhz or 2400mhz like my 4960x did in this laptop.
  • Thumbs Up 1

DRAM has to be the worst memory ever created. Seeing the variation that people see here tends to illustrate that.

As the lithogrophy shrinks with DRAM, the possiblity of variation increases as there is less margin for error. The difference between high speed memory and mediocre speed is simply binning: IE it is all the same die, but they are testing at different speeds: IE you run a test at 2133MHz if it passes you test at 2400Mhz, if it fails it gets labeled as 2133 since that is the last test that passed. This is the same way they they do CPU clock frequency, hence the reason some lots overclock better than others.

The joy of shrinking lithography...I guess DRAM is not terrible, still better than NAND Flash design.

• 1 year later...

So, can you SPD flash G.Skill sodimms with Thaiphoon Burner. I'm considering picking up a 32GB (4x8GB) 2133 G.Skill, but need to know I can flash them. They use samsung chips whereas my current 4x8GB 2133 HyperX use Hynix and I have running at 2400 GHz 11-13-14-28-2N that I flashed on the SPD with TB. My scores are much higher than @mw86 and @timohour. I'm just wanting to know if I can manipulate the SPD and XMP profiles with G.Skill like I can Kingston before I purchase them. The slowest of them will be tightened at 2133 for my old P170HM while the faster running at 2400 (hopefully with tighter timings or with a faster speed) will be in my P770ZM.

AIDA64Mem - just score.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, an update on not all RAM is created equal. I recently purchased some G.Skill 2133MHz 11-11-11-31 ram that was manufactured in August. I, once again, overclocked a 2133MHz set to 2400MHz, this time with 12-13-13-31-278 CR2. After comparing the results, I stayed with the Kingston set I previously flashed. The interesting thing was that AIDA64 had the G.Skill winning on speed. So did winsat mem. It was a slim win, but a win nonetheless (except on latency in AIDA64). But, even with this, it lost in MaxxMem2 and (where it really counts) SuperPi32M (by over 2 seconds)! Fully attribute the loss to the latency, but here are the pics!
Kingston
MaxxMEM2_n1937.jpg cachememK2400.png 
G.Skill
MaxxMEM2_c0453.jpg cachememGS2400.png 

So, is seems I forgot to do screenshots of the SuperPi32M runs, BUT, the results were Kingston at 7M14.xxxS and G.Skill at 7M16.8xxS. Now, this is with a full CL setting slower AND much HIGHER tRFC (278 vs 228 on the Kingston). I wanted to point this out so that people would know, NOT ALL MEMORY IS CREATED EQUAL! My BIOS settings for 2400MHz on the G.Skill kit to follow (it was a 4x8GB Kit)...

• 6 months later...