Hey, everyone! I'm new to this forum -- I have a Clevo P370SM3 with a 4800MQ proc. Microsoft & hwinfo indicate that this processor supports VT-x. Even though it shows up as enabled in hwinfo, VT-x is listed as Not Supported in the latest version of Clevo firmware. HAV also indicates that VT-x isn't working. I have thus flashed prema mod onto my machine, and was excited to be able to enable VT-x. I'm still having the same problem. I set virtualization to enabled (enable VT-x and VT-d) within the Prema mod bios, yet it's still listed as BIOS Not Supported within hwinfo, and HAV indicates it's still disabled. Any advice? Thanks, everyone :)))

Hey, everyone! I'm new to this forum -- I have a Clevo P370SM3 with a 4800MQ proc. Microsoft & hwinfo indicate that this processor supports VT-x. Even though it shows up as enabled in hwinfo, VT-x is listed as Not Supported in the latest version of Clevo firmware. HAV also indicates that VT-x isn't working. I have thus flashed prema mod onto my machine, and was excited to be able to enable VT-x. I'm still having the same problem. I set virtualization to enabled (enable VT-x and VT-d) within the Prema mod bios, yet it's still listed as BIOS Not Supported within hwinfo, and HAV indicates it's still disabled. Any advice? Thanks, everyone :)))

I noticed this also but as I do my VM's on my desktop it didn't bother me until you posted and now I'm thinking, Why doesn't it work? I thought the Prema Bios unlocked the VM acceleration extensions in the CPU at the Bios level?

Is this forum dieing or just starting?

Clevo\Sager Pay attention to this thread and build better laptops.

Any one going to reply to Top5a's post? I would like to know any advice anyone has as to why HAV does not report VT-x as supported?

I guess VT-d is simply broken on some models...THX@Clevo

Hey, Prema! First off, just wanted to say I think it's awesome what you're doing by making these BIOS mods and giving them to the community ! It's really impressive, to say the least.

So, VT-d actually does appear to work in the core logic, but VT-x for virtualization is what isn't working. The option shows up in your BIOS, which I have enabled, but it doesn't do anything in Windows. So, not to say that your BIOS isn't a /massive/ step up from Clevo/Sager's complete piece of ****, (I love all the features you have in Prema Mod), but I"m just wondering if you've seen this issue before, or if you have any tips. I assembled a custom BIOS based off Clevo's stock (symcmos dumped and disassembled theirs), except I attempted to permanently set Vt-x to enable. I'm wondering what methodology you've used, or if there might be something interesting about this particular laptop model. Basically, I looked at --> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-3c-part-3-manual.pdf, and it appears as though IA32_VMX_PROCBASED_CTLS2 MSR (register 48BH) bit 63 needs to be set to 1, although I compiled and flashed this, and it still didn't work for me T.T, although at least I didn't brick anything. So, I flashed your mod back on this machine, because it's way superior to Clevo's stock, but yea just wondering if you have more insight into getting VT-x enabled.

Thank again for providing this mod to the community =)

Hey, Prema! First off, just wanted to say I think it's awesome what you're doing by making these BIOS mods and giving them to the community ! It's really impressive, to say the least.

So, VT-d actually does appear to work in the core logic, but VT-x for virtualization is what isn't working. The option shows up in your BIOS, which I have enabled, but it doesn't do anything in Windows. So, not to say that your BIOS isn't a /massive/ step up from Clevo/Sager's complete piece of ****, (I love all the features you have in Prema Mod), but I"m just wondering if you've seen this issue before, or if you have any tips. I assembled a custom BIOS based off Clevo's stock (symcmos dumped and disassembled theirs), except I attempted to permanently set Vt-x to enable. I'm wondering what methodology you've used, or if there might be something interesting about this particular laptop model. Basically, I looked at --> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-3c-part-3-manual.pdf, and it appears as though IA32_VMX_PROCBASED_CTLS2 MSR (register 48BH) bit 63 needs to be set to 1, although I compiled and flashed this, and it still didn't work for me T.T, although at least I didn't brick anything. So, I flashed your mod back on this machine, because it's way superior to Clevo's stock, but yea just wondering if you have more insight into getting VT-x enabled.

Just to iron out the obvious, you disabled Intel Hyper-V in Win 8, right? ;)

(Hyper-V disables VT-x for other software)

I think the root cause of why your mod didn't work is because you were flipping the wrong bits. You should be looking at IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL as described on this page.

Activating the Intel VT Virtualization Feature - Thomas Krenn Wiki

This got me interested in sharing your quest. I must freely admit that I have never attempted to alter a BIOS. I don't even know where to start, but I read tech manuals every day in my line of work. Perhaps I should start?

Here is another link to enabling virtualization that I am still trying to digest. Maybe our fine friend Prema can be convinced to look into this problem for us?

Can a hypervisor rootkit enable hardware-assisted virtualization when it has been disabled by the BIOS? - Information Security Stack Exchange

I think the control you are looking for is IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL on page 5.

23.7 ENABLING AND ENTERING VMX OPERATION

Before system software can enter VMX operation, it enables VMX by setting CR4.VMXE[bit 13] = 1. VMX operation

is then entered by executing the VMXON instruction. VMXON causes an invalid-opcode exception (#UD) if executed

with CR4.VMXE = 0. Once in VMX operation, it is not possible to clear CR4.VMXE (see Section 23.8). System soft-

ware leaves VMX operation by executing the VMXOFF instruction. CR4.VMXE can be cleared outside of VMX opera-

tion after executing of VMXOFF.

VMXON is also controlled by the IA32_FEATURE_CONTROL MSR (MSR address 3AH). This MSR is cleared to zero

when a logical processor is reset. The relevant bits of the MSR are:

• Bit 0 is the lock bit. If this bit is clear, VMXON causes a general-protection exception. If the lock bit is set,

WRMSR to this MSR causes a general-protection exception; the MSR cannot be modified until a power-up reset

condition. System BIOS can use this bit to provide a setup option for BIOS to disable support for VMX. To

enable VMX support in a platform, BIOS must set bit 1, bit 2, or both (see below), as well as the lock bit.

• Bit 1 enables VMXON in SMX operation. If this bit is clear, execution of VMXON in SMX operation causes a

general-protection exception. Attempts to set this bit on logical processors that do not support both VMX

operation (see Section 23.6) and SMX operation (see Chapter 6, “Safer Mode Extensions Reference,” in Intel®

64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual, Volume 2B) cause general-protection exceptions.

• Bit 2 enables VMXON outside SMX operation. If this bit is clear, execution of VMXON outside SMX

operation causes a general-protection exception. Attempts to set this bit on logical processors that do not

support VMX operation (see Section 23.6) cause general-protection exceptions.

I guess VT-d is simply broken on some models...THX@Clevo

The i7-4700MQ and up supports VT-x but does not support VT-d, vPro or TXT (SMX). The i7-4800MQ and up supports all three.

If a person needs to do virtualization there is a strong argument for acquiring an i7-4800MQ or better.

i7-4700MQ ARK | Intel® Core

i7-4800MQ ARK | Intel® Core

i7-4900MQ ARK | Intel® Core

i7-4930MX ARK | Intel® Core

Yesterday I e-mailed Sager tech support about this issue and pointed to this thread. I received a response with a screen shot of Virtual Box running Windows 7 on the NP9380 (Clevo P370SM) yesterday evening.

Sager Techsupport [email protected]

7:56 PM (14 hours ago)

to me

Hi Kelly, we installed Oracle Virtual Box on NP9380. We installed Windows 7 in that Virtual box. See the attached screen capture. The VT-x is enabled. Does that prove the VT-x working?

Allen Zhang

Sager tech support

Photobucket is down for maintenance right now, so here is a link to the photo in my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar8ctqkrw0tuod6/vt.png