M11x IPS display upgrade

foremi

Hey, just wanted to post here, Me and another member of notebookreview.com have successfully swapped the M11X display panel with the LG LP116WH4(SL)(N2). I purchsed mine from laptopscreen.com and you will also need the lvds extension cable that they also sell.

Its an ips display so it has awesome viewing angles, the colors are a little better and the blacks are quite a bit better. Its also quite a bit brighter.

Brightness works just fine on the R3, and probably on the R2 (not guaranteed) due to the intel graphics being in control of brightness all the time. On the R1 Brightness control apparently only works when the intel gpu is active.

I am not responsible for anyone who damages a laptop trying this.

post-22985-14494997237625_thumb.jpg

post-22985-14494997237904_thumb.jpg

post-22985-14494997238147_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This is very cool! I might want to do this with my m11x R3, the stock screen is very much not spectacular >< . Thanks for the info! Too bad you can't put in a 120 hz screen and use the 3D vision feature :(

-m11x R3 i7 Nebula Red, 2010 Macbook Pro Core2duo, samsung Galaxy S4

• 4 months later...
Hey, just wanted to post here, Me and another member of notebookreview.com have successfully swapped the M11X display panel with the LG LP116WH4(SL)(N2). I purchsed mine from laptopscreen.com and you will also need the lvds extension cable that they also sell.

Its an ips display so it has awesome viewing angles, the colors are a little better and the blacks are quite a bit better. Its also quite a bit brighter.

Brightness works just fine on the R3, and probably on the R2 (not guaranteed) due to the intel graphics being in control of brightness all the time. On the R1 Brightness control apparently only works when the intel gpu is active.

I am not responsible for anyone who damages a laptop trying this.

was this a straight swap ? or do you have to make it fit ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I've had the screen for a while now just sat on my desk i just haven't had the time to fit it due to too many other projects and as i use this laptop as my main work laptop its finding a good time to do the mod when i don't need the laptop.sorry for the lack of update on this mod. Too many work commitments and other projects going on isn't leaving me much spare time to get er done.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later...

Finally i got around to swapping the screens so i took some before shots and after shots which i will link in a dropbox file.

The screen swap was pretty straight forward to do and everything fit back perfectly and it would have gone alot easier if i connected the screen connectors the correct way round but i blame that on jet lag.

Anyways the whites are white now and don't have the pink hue anymore when looking at a slight angle. The screen is nice to use now.

the viewing angles are 100 x better than before. This was a worthy mod that i should have done 6 month's ago.

sorry for long delay but life is hectic sometimes.

Here is the link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cjfcebgbo7k7dlp/AABjKLd35ilWg4mL-CAG3nOca?dl=0

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The links in the original post for the panel and the extension cable aren't working. Anyone have any current links and or places to get them extension cable and panel?

Just dug out my order email and here is what i ordered from laptopscreen.com

1 Laptop LCD Screen 11.6-inch WideScreen (10.08"x5.67") WXGA (1366x768) HD Matte LED compatible with p/n LP116WH4(SL)(N2) / 3 Years warranty.
$59.99 1 $59.99
2 Screen Cable. Transfers LED connector from LEFT to RIGHT. 8.9...15.6 LCD

$8.99 1 $8.99

[url]https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP116WH4%28SL%29%28N2%29/[/url]

• 2 months later...

Did anybody change the front bezel of the screen? Mine for some reason is full of scratches and marks that I can't get rid of. I only found the whole assembly (with the lcd included) for sale but I would only like to change the bezel and upgrade to an IPS.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the plunge and bought the SLN1 IPS screen model because the SLN2 is out of stock everywhere. The only difference it seems to have is the brackets but it can be fitted to the m11xR3 easily (unlike it was reported on some forums the screen is not glossy but matte). The problem I have is that the brightness of the screen is very low..

I didn't manage to resolve that and I put the old screen back but I am willing to give it another try if anybody has some ideas about how I might resolve it. I have the unlocked bios and there are some options for the Intel Graphics Adaptor for the backlight control but it didn't do any good changing any of them. One thing I haven't tried is disabling the DBE and CE option in the bios which I understood may have something to do with auto contrast/brightness.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I never had a problem with the screen brightness it just worked as normal. so it could be the different type of screen or maybe a faulty one.

I know on windows 8 there is some screen brightness adjustment you can change as when i first installed that i had to adjust the brightness as it was dim but windows 7 was just normal.

I no longer have the m11x as i sold it to a friend and ended up with a macbook pro as i need the battery life and plus i plan on setting up a egpu.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone looking for the original screen that was confirmed as working could order from aliexpress, its 50 quid new. Brand new A+ LP116WH4 SLN2 LP116WH4 (SL)(N2) LP116WH4 SLN2 LCD Screen IPS laptop screen 1366*768 free shipping -in Laptop LCD Screen from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Aliexpress are pretty good at refunding if stuff isnt up to scratch as well.

also youc an try a 12.5 inch screen upgrade apparently. This thread talks about buying this screen and it being a case of plug and play. Cheaper than othe option but requires some modding of the bezel

http://www.amazon.com/LG-PHILIPS-LP125WH2-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B009XS0VHC (us)

New LG Philips LP125WH2(SL)(B3) Laptop Screen 12.5" LED HD Compatible - IPS | eBay (uk)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After a year and something from tha last post :P   Which is the best monitor to choose to replace the original one.I have no problem with the screen but as I read at the above post a replacement IPS panel is much better that original ,am I right?

Does the new IPS screen affect the battery life? Does this mod worth the money and time?

• 4 months later...