Lenovo y510p 750m SLI 8GB or 16GB?

Aisthetikos

I noticed that the 750 SLI y510p laptop on Lenovo now includes 16GB of RAM. The model I purchased off of the outlet only included 8GB of RAM. So, the age old question; Will I benefit graphics wise by going to 16GB from 8GB?

I have read that increasing the RAM will allow a video card to use more system memory, capping at 4GB. My impression is that a single card would not benefit from the increase. But what about the SLI configuration?

Thank you!:ops:

graphics will not be benefit from upgrading 8g to 16g since graphic card has its own memory,for gt 750m or gt 755m,it's 2g.

if you are professional in design or has a extreme need in gaming, then you need 16g ram

8g is big enough for most games.

btw,you can buy a 8g 1600mhz samsung 1.28v ram chip seperately,roughly 70 bucks

graphics will not be benefit from upgrading 8g to 16g since graphic card has its own memory,for gt 750m or gt 755m,it's 2g.

if you are professional in design or has a extreme need in gaming, then you need 16g ram

8g is big enough for most games.

btw,you can buy a 8g 1600mhz samsung 1.28v ram chip seperately,roughly 70 bucks

Depends if it's a single block of 8 gb then you do get a littlebit out of running dual channel.

If you use the laptop for gaming only I would prefer the second video card.

But in my own opinion SLI is not so much worthy to pay about. I'm not a gamer and I would prefer the 16 GB version.

Keep in mind that if you order 8GB version it's highly possible your ram to take up both of your RAM slots so in a future if you want to update your memory buying just 8GB stick will not be enough. You should sell two 4gb modules and buy 2x8GB.

I run VMware on my lenovo, but not as hardcore as if you were doing this on a PC. If you are into VMware, then having 16gigs of RAM helps.

But for what the 750m SLI has to offer in terms of gaming, 8 gigs of RAM is plenty enough for the performance the laptop can handle.

To be honest, there is no real difference between 8GB and 16GB of RAM, unless you are running a program that will divide it up, i.e. virtualization. Having more RAM can actually SLOW your system down some, much like how the 1TB SSDs run about as fast as the 7200rpm drives. The way that RAM is actually utilized by the OS, is lie the pagefile in Windows, or swap space in linux. The OS throws a temp copy of the program (actually the next few instructions) into RAM so that it is not constantly running off the HDD, but the downside is that the more RAM you have, the more the OS much search this temp space for what you are actually doing. In a perfect world, your program would be in subsequent memory addresses so that the OS could basically run from 1-100 instead of 1, 5, 35, 2, 57, 99, etc. So, having 16GB of RAM is pretty much just a personal preference right now as pretty much nothing will utilize it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I upgraded mine from 8 to 16, for daily use and gaming seems the same but when doing video editing with a bunch of tracks it makes a pretty noticeable difference. So if you do video editing or high resolution photo editing/raw I would recommend it, it's not expensive anyway so why not?

Hi, so I just recently bought a Lenovo y510p with Nvidia GT 755M (said to be dedicated) and Intel HD 4600. The seller told me that it has Optimus but when I check the BIOS it says Discrete(NVidia) and Integrated(Intel). Also when I check the Intel site and check for driver, it shows that I have 2 Intel HD 4600, Was this a scam?

I noticed that the 750 SLI y510p laptop on Lenovo now includes 16GB of RAM. The model I purchased off of the outlet only included 8GB of RAM. So, the age old question; Will I benefit graphics wise by going to 16GB from 8GB?

I have read that increasing the RAM will allow a video card to use more system memory, capping at 4GB. My impression is that a single card would not benefit from the increase. But what about the SLI configuration?

Thank you!:ops:

games that are really open world will....that's why the consoles went with 8....I have a y500 with 650m sli and 16 gb and I feel content knowing I wont run out of memory anytime soon....once dx 12 gets released the minimum requirements for gaming are gonna go down.

Hi, so I just recently bought a Lenovo y510p with Nvidia GT 755M (said to be dedicated) and Intel HD 4600. The seller told me that it has Optimus but when I check the BIOS it says Discrete(NVidia) and Integrated(Intel). Also when I check the Intel site and check for driver, it shows that I have 2 Intel HD 4600, Was this a scam?

You cant have double 4600's thats for sure.

By the time games utilizes 16GB, you would probably want a new laptop.

This is the truth. Unless you intend on running multiple games at the same time, you won't need more than 8GB. Even with the most bloated copy of Windows 7 or 8 and running new games like Skyrim, ESO or SWTOR, my memory usage is at under 75% with my 8GB on my Y510p.

If you are doing high-end professional-grade rendering with 3dsMax or video editing work, maybe you might want 16GB. Anything else and it's a waste, even moreso since your GPU(s) have their own dedicated memory.