Lenovo y510p 750m SLI 8GB or 16GB?

Aisthetikos

Picked the 16gb since it was on sale with Newegg, I suppose it might come in handy as I'll be playing around with virtualized OSes, I can't really see the harm in it... Although highly unlikely you'd ever utilize the full amount.

• 3 weeks later...

As said by everybody else, 16GB is a little bit of overkill. I don't remember to ever been over 6 or 7 while playing. I myself only use the 16GB while rendering or using virtual boxes. Besides that I don't think that you will find having 16GB of ram usefull.

• 4 weeks later...

havent seen anyoe mention but doesnt this have to do with x64 programs? x32 dont have the ability to use for than 3.5GB. So i would evaluate how you use your Laptop and if you have any pograms that coul benefit fom having the 16GB

I went for 16GB. You can make ramdisk and put whole game into ramdisk before player - if you also use SSD copying would be fast, but game would be even faster than playing from SSD!! That is something to consider if you would want. Of course, I am running also browsers, windows temp and other things in ramdisk, putting minimal the strain on SSD.

I've had a message appearing few times when I was running chrome with ~10 tabs and playing Watch_Dogs that said something like "You're running out of ram". I'm using the 8GB one. I suggest you get it too, and then if you see that you need more, it's really easy to upgrade. Just be sure to get the DDR3L and not DDR3 as the "L" one uses low voltage, which combined with haswell processors works best.

• 2 weeks later...