SLI 780M or 880M gaming laptop

joseph0042

Question

Hey guys,

I have been reading numerous posts and doing comparisons of the Clevo/Sager NP9570, NP9380, and Alienware M18 R2 and R3. I am at a loss for which to go with. I more than likely will wait till the new (well the relabeled) 880m is released with either decision that I make, but has anyone had both clevo/sager and aw? What were your opinions of the 2?

And speaking of AW, I have read about the differences and struggles regarding the AW 18 (or street name R3) with the fan tables and throttling when overclocking. Is it worth it to go with an R2 version and then upgrade to 780m or 880m sli? Speaking of 880m...I saw that monkey was lending out some of the 880m's. Did anyone put these in a R2/R3? Any problems or struggles doing so if I pulled the trigger before their release and upgraded later (if I end up finding a good deal before hand)?

Sorry for the random questions! But thanks for all the information on the forum. Lots of good stuff here.

Something else to consider is the heat management. Even if one system is better, it may be unusable if the vents are poorly position or, like my Lenovo Y580, badly designed with a hardrive sandwhiched between the GPU and CPU. Hello 80 C hard drive, nice to see you melt.

I've been looking at gigabyte's P35Wv2, P25Wv2 and P25Xv2, is there any 880M SLI with an i7 and 8gb ram for 1600 euro? (and it should be max 4 cm high when lid is closed, I don't like fat laptops)

New Maxwell cards are coming soon. I would wait 2-3 weeks for the new stuff if at all possible.

I have the new AW 18 (streetname R3) with SLI 780m (4Gb) and I have no issues so far. Works like a charm, but I do not use 3D.

As said before 880m Kepler ist only +10% due to higer clocks.

Reading all the news about Maxwell I am still not sure if they will have more than +10% over the 880m Kelper and they will come first with only 4Gb...

I would wait till march 2015 (ceBit), till than my 780m SLI will just do fine!

Hi,

Well I actually got a Clevo P370SM with a sli of 780m, and I must say that reaching 9800 on 3d marks for the Fire Strike test, it is just freaking amazing. This combinaison is better than a single titan card at stock, and it runs every single game around at max out setting 1080p, and probably even higher if you turn off AA on a 2k screen. I don't even mention the incredible OC you can do with it, which is quite amazing.

The 880m is honestly useless, the temp are getting way to high, and the OC is clearly limited by that and the chip itself. So right now, I would definetly advise to buy a sli of 780m, it's not too expensive, and it's very future proof. The 900 serie is probably going to be very expensive, so now it's the time. ^^