DEMeNTiA

Mint 16 Cinnamon installed successfully on MSI GT60 2OC-022US 15.6" LED Notebook

So, I see ALOT of posts about MSi (Clevo & Sager) and issues with UEFI and Linux. My MSi came and I could not be happier. Went into BIOS by hitting delete. Disabled UEFI and Fast Boot, enabled Legacy. Changed boot order to boot off DVDR. Booted DVD and as expected, got a black screen. No biggie. Rebooted again and during bootup, hit the tab key and was able to edit grub. Replaced "quite splash" with "nomodeset" hit enter and live DVD ran. Got to desktop. Clicked on "install" on the desktop DVD icon. Drawer popped open, removed DVD and hit enter. Laptop started back up, got black screen again. Hit Tab key, once again replaced "quiet splash" with "nomodeset". Went right to desktop. Installed all the updates, appx. 287of them. Thinking everything would now be fine, I rebooted. Nope. Black screen again. Hit tab key, again replaced "quite splash" with "nomodeset". Got desktop again. Now I seem to be running in "software rendering mode" and cpus are just humming away all at 50%. Also had a pop-up stating Cinnamon had crashed. Tried to restart Cinnamon and no go. Not good. Dont panick. Checked to see what drivers were installed and what was available. Nuveau or nVidia. Nuveau was installed. In doing resaearch I had noticed someone had fixed this issue by installing Mate. So, I installed mate, mate-desktop and all the dependencies. Logged out, and then logged back in. Now Cinnamon works as should and all is good. Went into Synaptic and installed nuveau-bumblebee. Everything works as should. All the FN keys, everything. Power button glows orange upon bootup to let me know nuveau is present and working, then returns to white. A few tweaks here and there, such as no "sound events" for system beeps, but was an easy fix. sudo apt-get install deconf-editor. Went to org>system>sounds, put check in box for sound events. Voila. \o/ The first few times of rebooting for some reason I had to hit the tab key or would still go to black screen, but did not have to edit anything. After the first few times, it corrected intself and boots normally now. Even installed a bumblebee applet that lets you manage nVidia from there and open certain apps with it :). All the buttons across the top of the laptop work as expected. All FN keys work as expected. My only hope is that I can somehow get the laptop keyboard LEDs to change off the default blue. This MSi is a rock solid machine. Quite, fast! No heating issues.

I am SO happy!!! :purplebananna:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By thechillhacker
      Hello all

I have a Clevo P370EM3 laptop with a pair of GTX 680Ms in SLI mode and have never been able to get Linux to work properly with full acceleration and without tearing. I have tried every xorg config I can find, and even all the modifications from the nvidia configurator to no avail. Has anyone been able to get these things to work 100% in Linux? I have typically used ubuntu based distros, including Mint, and every available driver version from the repositories, but can never get it to work quite right.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. It is killing me to run Windows on this machine because of these issues, and I am almost to the point of installing the inferior 7970 cards.

Have a great day
      -TCH
    • By Psycha
      Hello, I'm on an alienware m17 r4 and am trying mod my vbios for a 970m 3GB msi. I've managed to get the max boost with an increase in voltage, however I believe my voltage settings maybe unstable. When attempting to load programs capable of high gpu usage capabilities, the gpu begins to become pretty unstable. would anyone be able to provide assistance? I have both my edited and original roms as well.

*update

I'm not sure how to delete this thread but disregard this please. I've figured out the issue.
    • By Say
      Wlc,
      I want to create an afermarket diy cooling solution for my laptop.
    • By Sarafan
      Does anyone have experience with this?

Some threads I've seen have done it on a 17 inch laptop, I was wondering if it was possible on the 15 inch version as well.

What issues will I face? I read about having to have a custom BIOS and vBIOS..but also HDMI/audio issues.

I guess I should also upgrade my CPU, which runs really hot (i7 4800MQ), but not sure another Haswell chip will run any cooler.

I've used liquid metal and even that hasn't changed temperatures much, it still reaches 93C pretty easily.
    • By fs7halkx2
      Hi,

I own gx740 with i5-430m, 4GB RAM, and I planned to do some upgrades.

Currently I did:
      - upgrade SSD, move HDD to dvd drive space
      - have some unlocked bios (but didn't found usage for it currently)
      - have modified vbios but not sure if the values I've used are good

I was thinking about:
      - upgrading CPU to i7-640M
      - upgrading RAM (not sure which will fit)

I would like to also:
      - fix broken/cracked frame around screen, but it wont be easy and cheap I guess?
      - replace screen to something brighter (?) but this will probably not be worth the cost

1) What do you guys think about it? Is it even worth?
      2) I've also see something like 'grain effect' moving grey stripes on same page elements (long time I remember it could be related to faulty bios/vbios)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.