MSI GX60 vs ASUS G750JX vs MSI GT70 One

John

Question

Hey guys,

I´ve decided to get a new laptop mainly for gaming. I want to buy a laptop that´s worth for me - it should last as long as it can but it´s price should be up to 1600$.

These are some PCs that I´m thinking of:

MSI GX60

- comes with AMD A10-5750M in combination with AMD Radeon HD8970M without SSD HDD and 8gigs of RAM

- price is 1200$ & Warranty lasts 2 years

- my conclusion is that the price is pretty good for a GPU like this, unfortunately the GPU gets buried with pretty weak CPU. It can handle most nowadays games, but how will it perform in two or three years (if new games will use more CPU, the GPU can`t save it, right)?

ASUS G750JX

- this handy guy comes with i7-4700 HQ Quad core CPU in combination with NVidia 770m without SSD HDD and 8gigs of RAM

- price is 1600$ & Warranty lasts 2 years

- it´s pretty combination and it´s capable to play all of nowadays games in superb quality and most probably it will be capable of playing new games in few years

MSI GT70 0NE-822

- this machine is my favourite one. It´s older model equipped with Intel Core i7 3630QM Ivy Bridge with Nvidia 680M graphics, 16GBs of RAM and 2SSD HDDS in Raid + 750GB HDD.

- price is 1500$ & Warranty lasts just one year

- I think this machine rocks and leaves the other two behind no matter it`s older model, but it`s the most powerful model of it`s series. I`ve made my decision and will buy this one in 8 hours, but I still can give it back in 14 days without any additional fees etc.

Maybe your opinions could change my mind or affirm that I did the right thing. What would be your decision?

And should I be scared because of just the 1 year warranty? How big is the risk of mobo getting blown? What are the options of upgrading this model?

And could there be a benefit if I unlocked the Bios with mods that can be found on this page?

I can`t wait to read your replies guys :)

23 answers to this question

Yea well unfortunately Clevo is not available in our country and shipping makes the computer pretty expensive and I´m not talking about warranty processes either. I´ve made my choice, saved some cash and bought the GX60. I guess it´s the best price / power ratio for my usage (skyrim, DX HR), I´m not a hardcore player :P

On my GX60 Crysis 3, WoT, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance runs without problems on High / Ultra settings, so that's not so bad AMD processor

Test in 3DMark Vantage 2013 - NVidia GeForce GTX 680M (25270), ATI Radeon HD 8970M (21300), NVidia GeForce GTX 770M (18826), choose between MSI GX60 (1200$) or MSI GT70 0NE-822 (1500$)

I have the GT-60. It has plenty of power but there are a few things that I am not happy about it. The 'T' key doesn't work the first time it's used and the BIOS does not allow VT-x to be enabled (MSI Tech was not able to unlock it even though they tried several times).

If virtualization is not important and you can use it prior to purchase I would choose gladly choose another MSI product.

As a GT70-0NE owner i have to say, that considering overall performace of my system im not really satisfied with the purchase ;( i'm starting to think that my unit is faulty since it performs terrilbly in most of the games (i can forget about playing BF3 or skyrim on high, not to metion ultra settings). After last driver update it performs even worse, making it impossilble to play Mechwarrior online on anything higher than medium, causing video-tdr-failures,making me really frustrated

To the point - GT70-0NE dissapointed me (my unit a least)

Any other GT70 owners sharing my problems?

As a GT70-0NE owner i have to say, that considering overall performace of my system im not really satisfied with the purchase ;( i'm starting to think that my unit is faulty since it performs terrilbly in most of the games (i can forget about playing BF3 or skyrim on high, not to metion ultra settings). After last driver update it performs even worse, making it impossilble to play Mechwarrior online on anything higher than medium, causing video-tdr-failures,making me really frustrated

I have a GT60 and love it. The power is awesome (680m) what card do you have?

I have a GT60-0NE and have no trouble running skyrim and bf3 on ultra. That definitely seems like an issue with yours. Our laptops seem to be identical except for screen size so they should be pretty similar.

gforc3 -Love my GT60 too, same card as yours.

I dont have a GT70 but a GE60 and I can say you are right.

Most of the drivers on the MSI site are very old, especially the graphics. Bad service....

I have many problems with drivers directly form the Nvidia site.

I suggest you the tool "Nvidiainspector", it helpt me to play games like BF3, TES V in 1080p and high-ultra settings.

I had a GT70 in the past and it's some good stuff. I prefer my AW17 cause i find that heat dissipation is restrained compared to the GT70. But you need to do with GPU throttling sometimes :burn_joss_stick:

Hi,

I bought the GX60 a while ago and to be honest.. it was terrible.. view my remarks below, I owned this laptop for 5 hours(!)

Plastic design case did not feel very strong and I had the following issues:

- After booting and a 5 minute wait, my GPU temp was around 70 degrees celcius. In-game (BF4) the laptop shuts down.

- AMD A10 is nothing compared to an I7, atleast I experienced it like that.

So I called the store where I bought the GX60 5 hours earlier and they told me to call MSI support.

MSI support told me that I needed to ship my brand new 5 hour laptop to poland and they would investigate causing me to lose my laptop for 4 weeks.

I did not comply and I managed to return the laptop to the store in the end.

Very bad experience.

I'd say go for the ASUS.

Hi,

- After booting and a 5 minute wait, my GPU temp was around 70 degrees celcius. In-game (BF4) the laptop shuts down.

- AMD A10 is nothing compared to an I7, atleast I experienced it like that.

Very bad experience.

I'd say go for the ASUS.

Well, Your problem was caused by the A10, not the MSI in general, the GX60/70 aren't "true gaming laptops" becouse of the processor (it's performing simillar to i3). In some games mantle will do the job, but it's better to choose "lower" series (GE) or upgrade to GT and get i5/i7 with some nVidia card.

I own a GT70 with gtx770m and if I could choose a laptopp again I'd go for it too. gxt680 it's even more powerfull and it's a good choice.

I have Asus G750JX. I must tell you that the cooling system of the laptop is very effective. So you can overclock its GPU without any problem. Also if you want SSD it's not a big deal to instal it (5-10 min of work)

I used to have a GX60 but I was constantly bothered by the fact my GPU was having much of its power wasted due to the bottlenecking CPU, I do believe it was the previous version and then it also depends on the game you're playing but still, I'd recommend spending a bit more for the alternatives.