Best ram for the m15x

Astelith

Hi All,

I'm considering to upgrade the cpu from the 620M to the 920xm and the memory will raise from 1066 to 1333, anyone ghave a good ram suggestion for me ? Does a low latency will help performance ? (gaming bench)

Thanks in advance !

Hi All,

I'm considering to upgrade the cpu from the 620M to the 920xm and the memory will raise from 1066 to 1333, anyone ghave a good ram suggestion for me ? Does a low latency will help performance ? (gaming bench)

Thanks in advance !

Definitely 1333Mhz CAS 9 or CL9. If you can get CL7 that is even better (should be equivalent to another multiplier on the cpu) but its usually very expensive or hard to find.

I've heard different things about getting 1600Mhz CAS 9 RAM whether or not it runs at lower CAS due to downclocking to 1333Mhz.

Hopefully someone here knows more about that.

I found this:

[HowTo] SO-DIMMs Extreme: Boost 1600 to 2133 and beyond / JEDEC & XMP

Basically to buy the Corsair 1866 CMSX8GX3M2A186<wbr style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Trebuchet, 'Trebuchet MS'; font-size: 18px; font-weight: bold;">6C10 kit and to flash it with Thaiphoon Burner

At this point the only thing is to try :)

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update so other can learn from this.

I bought the kit, the first boot ended up in a loop with a restart at windows loading phase, after that I flashed the modules with Thaiphoon burner using the downloadable preset (based on Micron D9 chips) but unfortunately I discovered that the chip inside is not a Micron D9 but a Spectek PEB12 15E (http://www.spectek.com/pdfs/fbgamark.pdf) with the consequence that the ram is now dead.

Now I'm trying to find someone with the same chip to be able to makes me a dump that allows me to revive my chips and make it works (so if you have it please help me :))

I'll keep you posted...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Nothing new for the corsair but I got for cheap this: http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9S3P1K2_8G.pdf and surprise... with Micron D9 chips :)

Hi Astelith.

So, did you flash that ram to Cl7 succesfully?? Did you notice a boost on 920xm? :)

I have found a cheap 8gb kit, and i'm going to get it, but i thought it reachs only cl8 1333 mhz.

This could be my very last upgrade for my dear grandpa ^^

( well, until maxwell 20nn appears xd)

Hi Astelith.

So, did you flash that ram to Cl7 succesfully?? Did you notice a boost on 920xm? :)

I have found a cheap 8gb kit, and i'm going to get it, but i thought it reachs only cl8 1333 mhz.

This could be my very last upgrade for my dear grandpa ^^

( well, until maxwell 20nn appears xd)

Yes, I'm running CL7 but, honestly, we are not talking about a big performance leap.

For sure you can notice some differences in benchmarks but in the daily use it's more or less the same, the big job it's made by the 920xm, the 780M and the SSD.

If you can have it for real cheap take it, but don't set high expectation about performance

Yes, I'm running CL7 but, honestly, we are not talking about a big performance leap.

For sure you can notice some differences in benchmarks but in the daily use it's more or less the same, the big job it's made by the 920xm, the 780M and the SSD.

If you can have it for real cheap take it, but don't set high expectation about performance

Ohh, thanks so much pal Astelith, for answering me so quick.

I already have them installed and ready for fight hehe. But they ar at cl8/133mhz for now, because i am a neophyte in Thaiphoon Burner i fear...

When i get to flash them to cl7 , i hope to achieve your excellent 3dmark11 score.... :P hahah ( i am at 75xx right now with the 680m and 920xm. I suppose the 780m is a holy cucumber XD)

Ohh, thanks so much pal Astelith, for answering me so quick.

I already have them installed and ready for fight hehe. But they ar at cl8/133mhz for now, because i am a neophyte in Thaiphoon Burner i fear...

When i get to flash them to cl7 , i hope to achieve your excellent 3dmark11 score.... :P hahah ( i am at 75xx right now with the 680m and 920xm. I suppose the 780m is a holy cucumber XD)

Yeah, she kick hard ! Check the chip before attempting a flash ;)