GX70,advice needed

ElWrobel

Hello everyone,I've got a bit of a problem. First up,let me quote a certain gentleman that goes by the name of Khenglish:

"You can lock the CPU to never run slower than 3ghz, but as for actual overclocking that is not possible (unless AMD reference clock documentation gets leaked).

How to lock to 3ghz and 3.5ghz:

There is no program that does it properly, so you need to do it directly with PCI config space writes. I use BAR-EDIT on the trinity laptop I have access to. The way the method works is you just limit the number of P-states the processor is allowed to use. PScheck can do this, but it neglects changing what P-state the CPU goes into C6 in, which is set by default to a state that is no longer available, thus breaking the top turbo bin.

B0D24F3xDC clear bits 9 and 10 (in english: on bus 0, device 24, function 3, offset 0xDC, make bits 9 and 10 equal to 0)

To then fix top turbo:

B0D24F3xA8 clear bits 30 and 31"

I've tried this and it worked great,but recently I've noticed that when I apply those changes the performance becomes absolutely unbearable after a minute or so of running a game (any game) and sounds start to crack,Overdrive shows that clocks are on correct frequencies,around 3.2 GHz.

This happens only when I use this method,if I use turbo core normally or with amd overdrive everything works perfectly until I hit the temp margin. My driver version is 14.1,but I've noticed the same thing when I installed 13.11v-something.

So is there any other method of locking the apu or maybe I messed up something with the drivers? Could someone with the same drivers as me try this on his GX70?

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you ever got a resolution on this. I recently got a gx70 and was looking to try this out but have never done anything with BAR-edit or anything like that. I've only gotten one game loaded on there and played (Aliens: Colonial Marines) and the frame rates would drop constantly to almost unplayable levels. I'm not sure if this is the computer's fault or the game since it is supposed to be a pretty terribly put together game.