Is eGPU possible for lenovo ideapad y510p?

ashwinsingh8

The lenovo y510p has no thunderbolt or express card but it does come with their own ultrabay technology by which you can add another graphics card inside a socket which hold in place of the DVD drive once you take it out. Apparently the ultrabay is a pcie 3 implementation. So I was thinking if its possible to DIY eGPU. I think besides the basic setup of eGPU one might need a specialized connector for the Ultrabay.

Has anyone done it. Can anyone guide me to DIY?

No one has done it yet. I assume it won't be rocket science, but you need to make your own compatible connector (8x) just like Lenovo implemented. And from that connector you need to trace all the pins to a PCI-Express slot.

The easiest way I assume would be to give up on the wireless interface and use the mini PCI-Express connector (1x). If you have the NGFF connector soldered you can try to find a wifi card compatible with that socket or use an USB wireless if you need wifi.

It should be possible, but the connector is tricky to reproduce, it doesn't look like anything standard (just had a look on my Y500, I assume they're the same). If you can find a cheap device which uses the same connection (there's a seperate sata connector, so an optical drive won't work) you could use that connector and extend the leads. I'm not sure if a longer cable will lead to problems with interference but that's something all eGPU setups have to deal with.

• 4 months later...

Speaking theoretically. Would it be possible (if ultrabay/mini PCI-e/ 2x+4x+sata m.2 ngff traced to PCI-express) to connect to the system lets say Geforce GTX 780 Ti ? If so, would full potential of 780 Ti be utilized? I think we might also need some external electricity because 780 Ti itself would eat more watts than y510p is capable - meaning +250w external PSU. But the question is would it be possible? How many pci express lanes would we need overall? Would default Nvidia drivers support such a setup or would we need to write our own drivers? I have taken here specific card in order to bring this discussion further.

The ultrabay is already at 8x, it would be more than enough. But I doubt you will be able to get a connector to work for you.

This and if Lenovo didn't whitelisted the vga card.

Not sure if you can mix the ultrabay (think is connected on northbridge) with the rest of the ports (southbridge connected). You still need to modify bios/me for altering ME descriptor.

And can't get true potential btw, in ultrabay it will run at 2.0@8x while the card should run in a desktop at 3.0@16x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if Ultrabay is at 8x PCIe 2.0, then m.2 NGFF M+B key connector would be able to support PCIe 2.0 x4, and mPCIe would be able to support PCIe x4 too I think. So in y510p one has 3 ways to connect adapters at least.

Noted that performance wise would be less powerfull.

> You still need to modify bios/me for altering ME descriptor.

Well, BIOS 3.05 can be downgraded to 2.07 with slv7 whitelist mod (correct me if I am wrong, but I think whitelist goes to any hardware there and external eGPU could be connected). Or maybe we could try hacking 3.05 if needed. Any good tutorials on doing that?

Btw, does it not Setup 1.x also let you whitelist any mPCIe ? http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/70355-all-probooks-laptops-general-our-wifi-whitelisting-days-0v3r.html

I am beginning to think that with TOLUD 2.25GB in y510p, iGPU could be running together with dGPU, also ultrabay is kind of eGPU, and we could theoretically connect 1 more eGPU through mPCIe and 1 more eGPU through NGFF m.2 and run them all silmultaneously :nevreness:. Would be no need to change ultrabay gpu then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@allstone, I've got a GN35 (650M Ultrabay) that I unsuccessfully was able to convert into a 750M, mostly for experimentation. I was able to turn a GT755M into GT750M by modifying the hardware straps and reflashing it, then SLIing it with my onboard GT750M.

The GN35 works perfectly fine, but I wouldn't mind goring it apart to experiment with an eGPU via Ultrabay connector. The only REAL issue is getting past the Lenovo whitelist. The Lenovo whitelist is why you can't normally slip a GT755M into a GT750M laptop, hence the need to change the hardware straps to change the Device ID.

Just reflashing the card with a different Device ID will NOT allow the card to pass the Lenovo whitelist check.

Do you know if svl7's latest unlocked 3.05 BIOS removes ultrabay GPU whitelist as well as wlan whitelist? If so, I'm going to get the desoldering the ultrabay connector and reverse engineering the pinout.

Let me know.

@allstone I was able to get a pinout the the ultrabay connector, and it is totally possible. Interestingly the controls for the fan on the Ultrabay GPU are sent through the ultrabay connector X).

The only data transactions between the motherboard and ultrabay are PCI-e LVDS 8x lanes and SMBus data. I'm assuming all the stupid whitelist info goes through SMBus. If svl7's bios removes the GPU whitelist, then this is as simple as re-purposing ultrabay connector by "chip-quik-ing" it and replanting it. All the necessary PCI-e pins exist there EXCEPT for the JTAG (optional) and hot plug detect (bypassable). On the Lenovo side of things, most of the other signals are power enables, power good, temp sense, fan speed, and fan tach.

Voltages present on ultrabay connector are 3V, 5V, and 19V.. and we really only need the 3V.

If the bios mod doesn't allow for GPU whitelist, then an option would be to capture/hold the SMBus with and FPGA or something and falsify the output to allow it to pass. Using a logic analyzer would allow us to see the fine details of the data bus transaction.

@svl7 you may be interested...? ;)

@allstone I was able to get a pinout the the ultrabay connector, and it is totally possible. Interestingly the controls for the fan on the Ultrabay GPU are sent through the ultrabay connector X).

The only data transactions between the motherboard and ultrabay are PCI-e LVDS 8x lanes and SMBus data. I'm assuming all the stupid whitelist info goes through SMBus. If svl7's bios removes the GPU whitelist, then this is as simple as re-purposing ultrabay connector by "chip-quik-ing" it and replanting it. All the necessary PCI-e pins exist there EXCEPT for the JTAG (optional) and hot plug detect (bypassable). On the Lenovo side of things, most of the other signals are power enables, power good, temp sense, fan speed, and fan tach.

Voltages present on ultrabay connector are 3V, 5V, and 19V.. and we really only need the 3V.

If the bios mod doesn't allow for GPU whitelist, then an option would be to capture/hold the SMBus with and FPGA or something and falsify the output to allow it to pass. Using a logic analyzer would allow us to see the fine details of the data bus transaction.

@svl7 you may be interested...? ;)

Wow, nice, a lot of information to handle at once. Could you please also post pinout of the ultrabay connetor to analyze?

Figured out how to remove the PCI-e whitelist for GPUs within the BIOS. It's essential an assembly jump loop that locks you into a screen that says "Please remove hardware". Simply jump out of the loop and you're good. I also have a spare Ultrabay connector that I can de-solder from a [working] GN35.

This will happen but I need some time to custom fab a PCB with LVDS lane extensions as well as to modify the BIOS.

This is going to happen... Just need to do some more reading, familiarize myself with this particular assembly instruction set, and remove the function call.

I'll probably just modify svl7s y410p BIOS to start with. Interestingly enough the 1.07 and 3.05 BIOS' have different strings for the GPU lock.

Hopefully there's a y410p flash recovery procedure for when I inevitably break it! :Banane35:

zLi2BUG.png

OzIwf7J.png

This is going to happen... Just need to do some more reading, familiarize myself with this particular assembly instruction set, and remove the function call.

I'll probably just modify svl7s y410p BIOS to start with. Interestingly enough the 1.07 and 3.05 BIOS' have different strings for the GPU lock.

Hopefully there's a y410p flash recovery procedure for when I inevitably break it! :Banane35:

zLi2BUG.png

OzIwf7J.png

sorry for my incoherence and unworthy contribution but this is getting me excited mate!

so much rocket science for an eGPU experiment, wowzers!

Keep it up!

Figured out how to remove the PCI-e whitelist for GPUs within the BIOS. It's essential an assembly jump loop that locks you into a screen that says "Please remove hardware". Simply jump out of the loop and you're good. I also have a spare Ultrabay connector that I can de-solder from a [working] GN35.

This will happen but I need some time to custom fab a PCB with LVDS lane extensions as well as to modify the BIOS.

Did you try to use a ultrabay connector of a hdd ultrabay extension which are sold for 15$ on ebay and aliexpress? Or the connector of the dvd drive? If you sell the gt650m you could by 10 of these http://hddcaddy.com/en/lenovo-ibm-hdd-caddy/432-lenovo-ideapad-y510p-hdd-caddy.html

At least the GT650M is still available http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale-Y400-Y500-extended-graphics-external-drive-bit-graphics-board-lS-8692p/1997081915.html

EDIT: Forget anything i just said, according to this thread the ultrabay connector is just an ordinary PCIe x8 connector which can be desolderd from any 20 $ PCIe x8 Riser card.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you try to use a ultrabay connector of a hdd ultrabay extension which are sold for 15$ on ebay and aliexpress? Or the connector of the dvd drive? If you sell the gt650m you could by 10 of these Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Caddy - add an extra HDD or SSD into your laptop!

At least the GT650M is still available wholesale Y400 Y500 extended graphics external drive bit graphics board lS 8692p-in Motherboards from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

EDIT: Forget anything i just said, according to this thread the ultrabay connector is just an ordinary PCIe x8 connector which can be desolderd from any 20 $ PCIe x8 Riser card.

Nice find, however the Ultrabay connector is completely proprietary. It LOOKS like a normal PCIe connector because of the key notch, however it is not. There's 30 pins (15 each side) on the smaller half of the Ultrabay connector and only 22 (11 each side) on a traditional PCIe connection.

I wish it was that simple!!! Also, the HDD caddys and disc drives do not have functioning Ultrabay connectors. They are just plastic blanks :(.

could you tell me how long the ultrabay connector is? A picture with a Ruler for scale would be perfect. Maybe it works if you use a pcie x16 female connector and cut it after 15 pins so nobody has to buy a gt650/750/755 just to tear it apart for the connector.

If you already got the gpu for sli mode a eGPU isn't neccessary in most of the cases.

And could you post the link to the pinout of the ultrabay connector? Can't find anything the way you described it.

And could you post the link to the pinout of the ultrabay connector? Can't find anything the way you described it.

Type in "40025_Compal_LA-8692P" into google and it's the first result.

I have SLI GT750M's in my laptop, but the only performance bottlenecks are the GPUs. They run hot, and in SLI I get the inevitable frame stuttering... I'm going to be developing on an Oculus Rift DK2, so I just need more GPU power. Frame stuttering in VR would be nauseating!!!

Maybe it works if you use a pcie x16 female connector and cut it after 15 pins

i am sorry i thought there were not enough pins on the long side of the pcie x8 port. How about taking the long part of a pcie x16 female connector and just glue the little plastic bracket in after 15 pins?

i am sorry i thought there were not enough pins on the long side of the pcie x8 port. How about taking the long part of a pcie x16 female connector and just glue the little plastic bracket in after 15 pins?

It might be possible to custom fab a PCB with the traces lined up to the pins, but that in itself might not have a solid connection to the Ultrabay plug... It's unlikely that any standard PCIe slot/port would work because they are huge in comparison and the pin pitch is much larger.

Ok last try to figure out which connector it is.

Did you already compare your Ultrabay connector to a Mini PCI Connector (different to mPCIe)? For me it looks like the connectors would fit perfectly together but i can't measure the Ultrabay connector in my y510p and i just got the dvd drive version.

The mini PCI connector is about 5 cm and has 61 pins on one side. As far as i can see the connector in the Ultraybay slot the amount of pins and length of the connector seems pretty samiliar to the Mini PCI connector.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.