Is eGPU possible for lenovo ideapad y510p?

ashwinsingh8

2 hours ago, karthick said:

bro i too get the same error with ultrbay sli.. how did u get past this screen..? and will egpu works only with modded svls bios?

Hi Karthick, I'm interested in connecting e-gpu using ultrabay port too, But I don't know where to start with.

Can you please tell me what tool are you using? What steps did you do before you get that error? Thank you!!

I'm using e-gpu with mini-pcie port now.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, RedStone said:

Hi Karthick, I'm interested in connecting e-gpu using ultrabay port too, But I don't know where to start with.

Can you please tell me what tool are you using? What steps did you do before you get that error? Thank you!!

I'm using e-gpu with mini-pcie port now.

BTW, how does egpu works with mpcie ?what's the fps and gpu model? i dont know much about egpu i just can't boot with a ultrbay graphics card itslef.. refer my quote once again. and are u using modded bios to connect egpu thru mpcie?

Edited by karthick

12 hours ago, karthick said:

BTW, how does egpu works with mpcie ?what's the fps and gpu model? i dont know much about egpu i just can't boot with a ultrbay graphics card itslef.. refer my quote once again. and are u using modded bios to connect egpu thru mpcie?

Sorry I'm looking in the wrong..I'm using GTX970, performance is much more than enough, you can refer to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHzj8I-8FY.

Yes I'm using svl7 modded BIOS

Edited by RedStone

4 hours ago, RedStone said:

Sorry I'm looking in the wrong..I'm using GTX970, performance is much more than enough, you can refer to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHzj8I-8FY.

Yes I'm using svl7 modded BIOS

did u try running the game in laptop's screen.. c this tutorial to run http://www.owen-lu.com/egpu.. 

• 3 months later...
I have designed an adapter for the ultrabay slot to plug desktop graphic cards into a Y510p. The BIOS starts with "Unauthorized Slave vga ...". Need help for a new BIOS without PCIe check on Ultrabay.
  • Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, gerald said:
I have designed an adapter for the ultrabay slot to plug desktop graphic cards into a Y510p. The BIOS starts with "Unauthorized Slave vga ...". Need help for a new BIOS without PCIe check on Ultrabay.

good work! I'll focus on this continuously, waiting for your good news!

• Thumbs Up 1

That is really nice work. My graphic card is broken due high overclocking and I have to use gtx950  with miniPCI on Y510. This would be very helpfull. I'm considering to build it long time, but this is amazing. Maybe I will suport you if I could find 100usd

• 2 weeks later...
On 18.04.2016 at 9:33 PM, gerald said:

Project is live!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/290597041/lenovo-y410p-y510p-ultrabay-adapter-for-graphic-ca

pls support this project and get great graphic performance on Y510p.

Hi Gerald. I've also done research for ultrabay egpu for my y500.. Lenevo replace a "ultrabay slot gpu control software or circut" in motherboard. If your ultrabay gpu & e-gpu does not same to dGpu, pc don't boot.

There is a new possibility to get high graphics performance on a Y510p.

Is eGPU possible for lenovo ideapad y510p?

There is a kickstarter project available.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/290597041/lenovo-y410p-y510p-ultrabay-adapter-for-graphic-ca

On 18. April 2016 at 11:43 PM, MrFreddy said:

That is really nice work. My graphic card is broken due high overclocking and I have to use gtx950  with miniPCI on Y510. This would be very helpfull. I'm considering to build it long time, but this is amazing. Maybe I will suport you if I could find 100usd

50usd if you decide fast :-)

Hello and for the past two days I have been tryiing to get my EGPU set up to work on myHP probook 6540P with intel HD 300 graphics. I have about 8 gb of ram as well and used the DIY program. I keep getting error 12 and I tried doing the DSTD override but I'm getting confused on how to do it. In addition I read HP whitelisted certain ports which makes this a little complicated either way, with the DIY program I was able to make it detectable but i'm still getting error 12. Can anyone help and would upgrading to window's 10 be useful to me? Since I used to run an egpu on my asus rog but I do not have that anymore so I'm trying to run the egpu on this older laptop

Hello and for the past two days I have been tryiing to get my EGPU set up to work on myHP probook 6540P with intel HD 300 graphics. I have about 8 gb of ram as well and used the DIY program. I keep getting error 12 and I tried doing the DSTD override but I'm getting confused on how to do it. In addition I read HP whitelisted certain ports which makes this a little complicated either way, with the DIY program I was able to make it detectable but i'm still getting error 12. Can anyone help and would upgrading to window's 10 be useful to me? Since I used to run an egpu on my asus rog but I do not have that anymore so I'm trying to run the egpu on this older laptop

your OT buddy

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/4/2016 at 1:33 PM, gerald said:

Project is live!!!

pls support this project and get great graphic performance on Y510p.

Great job, man! I was looking for something like your project for a while, I was planning on doing eGPU through the mPCIe (Wifi card), but then I realized: "wait, this old laptop has a Ultrabay port, so let's take a look, someone must have done something with it".

Do you plan on mass manufacturing and selling your Ultrabay adapter? Or something like that?

I'm an electronic engineer too, but I've specialized on industrial control & automation (PLCs, SCADA, DCS...).

Benchmarks:

dgpu means the original nvidia GT755M graphics card, mpcie a PCI x1 adapter from the WLAN interface -> you need a special BIOS for this solution, Ultrabay -> that's the adapter, and OC means an overclocked R9 Nano.

Benchmark.png

I'am also an electronic engineer for industrial control. But a PC/Laptop is not so far away from a PLC:-)

Mass production depends on the result of the kickstarter project. Currently the demand is not really high but maybe it increases with the benchmark results :-)

13 hours ago, gerald said:

Benchmarks:

dgpu means the original nvidia GT755M graphics card, mpcie a PCI x1 adapter from the WLAN interface -> you need a special BIOS for this solution, Ultrabay -> that's the adapter, and OC means an overclocked R9 Nano.

Benchmark.png

I'am also an electronic engineer for industrial control. But a PC/Laptop is not so far away from a PLC:-)

Mass production depends on the result of the kickstarter project. Currently the demand is not really high but maybe it increases with the benchmark results :-)

Congratulation! Pretty interesting numbers, performance is on par with desktop setups.

I would love to see your project funded, but that is very unlikely to happen given that there isn't much demand for it. I hope more people would donate upon seeing the benchmarks.

I have never tried fund raising before. so i have a dumb question. Do backers get their reward (pcie card) regardless of the kickstarter results?

This is also the first time for me to start such a KS-project. If the necessary number of bakers will not reached the project has failed. That means that no money will be debited and the project will be closed.

In this case I started the project and have to order a number of PCBs and i can support some interested people with adapters.   

6 hours ago, gerald said:

This is also the first time for me to start such a KS-project. If the necessary number of bakers will not reached the project has failed. That means that no money will be debited and the project will be closed.

In this case I started the project and have to order a number of PCBs and i can support some interested people with adapters.   

Could you please make a video of your beanchmarks between the default GPU (GT 755M) vs the R9 Nano (with a mPCIe adapter and your ultrabay adapter), and upload it to YouTube? That will get more Y510p owners impressed, and definitely increase the demand of your adapter.

Also, as somebody already told you: I think that your UltraBay to PCIe 3.0 x16 @ x8 adapter is amazing, but this will add stress to the Y510p motherboard because of the weight of a desktop VGA attached to it, and many people (like me) use cooling pads, so it will be a little complicated to use the laptop as regular... So, what about a cable solution too?

I mean: Your adapter can end in the edge of the laptop (as long/large as the ultrabay compartment), and then we can use a PCIe x16 extender cable, but this solution wouldn't be much flexible like the cable that uses the mPCIe adapters (looks like an HDMI cable).

As far as I know, concerning the physical layer of the PCIe (electrical pinout):

• PCIe x16: 164pins (2x82), with 6 pins not connected, and 68 grounds that can be a single wire, right?
  • PCIe x16 @ x8: 164pins (2x82), with 39 pins not connected, and 68 grounds. This will require 58 wires, right? <- your adapter.
  • PCIe x8: 98pins (2x49), with 4 pins not connected, and 37 grounds.

Although the wikipedia page doesn't match exactly with the interfacebus.com one (11A, 12B and 82B)... I think that the idea would be the same...

Something important too: the impedance of the cable... and as the signals are differential pairs (2 pairs per lane), I suppose that this would require a cable with at least 17 twisted-pair wires for x16 @ x8, (8 lanes + refclock diff signal) and 24 simple wires...

Anyway, I didn't saw again any electronic design since I graduated from the university (6 years ago), so it's sure that somewhere I'm making a mistake or forgetting something important...

Again, great job man! I'm interested in your adapter.

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english.

Videos are a lot of work. Please believe me that these results were really measured on my Y510p. 

You can adapt the height of this adapter by the three distance bolts. This should fit all your requirements.

It is possible to buy a standard-cable to extend the PCIe connection. Samtec has such cables. PCIe 3.0 is a very fast interconnect and cables can be an issue. Of course, modern GPUs can switch to lower speed connections (PCIe 2.0 or 1.1) but I guess you don't want this :-) And these cables cost a lot of money...

The adapter has a PCIe x16 connector but only the first 8 lanes are connected. This means lane 8 to 15 are open. But all GND pins are connected.

Please donate for this adapter on Kickstarter. Only a successful kickstarter project can guarantee a adapter for you.

using a cable is inefficient and expensive, although hdmi 2.0 cables can handle up to 18 Gbps of transfer bandwidth, you still have to come up with a matching circuit to use them which may involve modifying the cable itself. for me this kind of work seem to require special industrial grade equipment and not something you can do by yourself.

Currently there are adapters that use hdmi cables as a transmission lines, but keep in mind, those adapters connect to mpcie or expresscard slots, they carry much lower bandwidth than a pcie 3.0 x8 and you can still see even at lower pcie 2 x1.1 speeds, they suffer from performance losses, part of the losses imo due to the transmission medium.

I don't know about gerald's pcb design, but I guess he already took into consideration the correct width of pcb traces (strip lines).

Supporting the adapter can be done by placing a piece of card board or foam under it to take the physical stress from the motherboard.

Edited by Tesla

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.