Serious issue with Y500 ideapad (650m Model)

doctorMoss

I've got weird things happen on my y500 lately. I hope anyone can shine a light on this.

1. In Energy Management, setting the battery option to [Optimized Battery Health] discharges the battery even if you're plugged in. I tried this with and without my SLI 650M. And all power options do nothing(High Performance, balanced, Power saver) until the laptop is drained empty. An technician from Lenovo support came over today and changed the mobo, and still it happens. He called back to HQ and they said Optimized does drain but up til 60% and it charges back. Now I'm monitoring for any further changes.

2. Event viewer gives me hundreds of event warnings on the system saying my processor is limited by system firmware. This annoys me to no end because I thought I had an incompatible chipset driver. I reformatted numerous times with different drivers and it still does that. Current install is Windows 8.1 UEFI install with Lenovo Malaysia's support site drivers.

xD6YLAOl.png

Does anyone else get these issues with their Y500's?

Optimized is supposed to drain til 60%. I think it could be a hardware issue, but hopefully replacing the motherboard fixed it.

For the second problem, I think I had that issue with my y510p when I tried using windows 8.1. I think it has to do with the lenovo power management software. Try finding a newer version? I had no luck fixing it. My power scheme was messed up or something. When gaming, my FPS would get halfved if I used the high performance power scheme, and it would go back to normal if I switched to balanced.

Also on windows 8.1, in task manager, there was something called system interrupts taking up 5-10% CPU even on idle. This happened even after a reformat.

Anyways, i switched back to windows 8.0 and everythings fine with my machine now.