DIY eGPU on Ubuntu with R9 280X

aMasheep

Hello, Sorry for not knowing so much about this topic. I have tried searching, but I couldn't figure it out.

I have bought myself a R9 280X from ASUS, together with a good power supply and a kit including: PE4H PM3N and the cable connecting them: PCIEMM-060A.

I connected this to the port where the WLAN adapter was inside my notebook. It is a MiniPCIe, which I connected the PM3N to, and then connected that to the PE4H with the connector cable. I also connected the PE4H to a molex plug.

I have not connected any monitor to the videocard, but that is because I am not going to use the Video Card for gaming. I am going to use it for Mining crpytocurrency(which means I only need it to communicate with the rest of the PC)

I have not installed any drivers or anything for the PM3N or PE4H, but I have installed the Radeon drivers for my R9 280x.It was so difficult to find anything about these drivers on Ubuntu!

I could install windows again, but i prefer to keep Ubuntu if it is in any way possible.

Could someone please help me determine why I can't find the video card on Ubuntu?

Thanks very, very much.:eagerness:

Hello, Sorry for not knowing so much about this topic. I have tried searching, but I couldn't figure it out.

I have bought myself a R9 280X from ASUS, together with a good power supply and a kit including: PE4H PM3N and the cable connecting them: PCIEMM-060A.

I connected this to the port where the WLAN adapter was inside my notebook. It is a MiniPCIe, which I connected the PM3N to, and then connected that to the PE4H with the connector cable. I also connected the PE4H to a molex plug.

I have not connected any monitor to the videocard, but that is because I am not going to use the Video Card for gaming. I am going to use it for Mining crpytocurrency(which means I only need it to communicate with the rest of the PC)

I have not installed any drivers or anything for the PM3N or PE4H, but I have installed the Radeon drivers for my R9 280x.It was so difficult to find anything about these drivers on Ubuntu!

I could install windows again, but i prefer to keep Ubuntu if it is in any way possible.

Could someone please help me determine why I can't find the video card on Ubuntu?

Thanks very, very much.:eagerness:

What model laptop do you have? This will be the most important factor in determining what is wrong.

For the laptop I used here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5622-%5Bblog%5D-crossfire-testing.html

It was pretty straight forward. However I could not use the internal display, external only.

Are you using the proprietary AMD fglrx drivers?

---

It is possible. And I have mined with my eGPU from within Windows, haven't tried within Ubuntu however.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ57

Good infopage on that is here.

I have downloaded these drivers here: AMD Catalyst

When I installed it, using this guide here(starts at step 10), it said fgrlx many times so I guess I installed them.

But isn't there any drivers i need to install for the eGPU setup will work, or will it work out of the box? I read somewhere that I need a special type of hard drive format or something, is that essential?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Compaq Presario CQ57

Good infopage on that is here.

I have downloaded these drivers here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Latest-LINUX-Beta-Driver.aspx

When I installed it, using this guide here(starts at step 10), it said fgrlx many times so I guess I installed them.

But isn't there any drivers i need to install for the eGPU setup will work, or will it work out of the box? I read somewhere that I need a special type of hard drive format or something, is that essential?

Thanks

Hey,

I got the Compaq Presario CQ57

here are a good infopage on that if needed:

Review HP Compaq Presario CQ57-303SG Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

I have installed these AMD drivers:

AMD Catalyst

I think they are the fglrx drivers because I had to type fgrlx a lot of times during installation. I followed this guide:

How to Install Ubuntu and Optimize CGMiner for Litecoin Mining Rig! | HighOnCoins.com

The driver installation starts at step 10.

But isn't there any spesific drivers for the eGPU setup? Like, for the PE4H and the PM3N ? I think i read some place that I need a special type of harddrive configuration.. but I don't really know if i would need this, or what is up with that?

Thank you again :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.