Y510P SSD Slot

callitkarma67

Hey all, I noticed when upgrading my wireless card that I too have the blank SSD slot on my computer, however it appears that there are the solder joints and pin holes for a port to be installed. Is it worth it to do this or too risky/waste of time? I don't really need the second graphics card, just the one is fine, so I'm not super-opposed to just picking up a HDD caddy for it.

Thanks in advance!

This is something that was proposed in some other threads. I've thought about doing it, having someone else do it or buying the motherboard with it. I'll probably end up replacing this thing before I get around to it though haha! I'm not that attached to it :D

Hey guys, i heard on every forum that Y510p's don't come with M2 NGFF SSD slot.

I bought my new Y510p (Model: 59390016) yesterday and guess what, it DOES have a connector slot for SSD.

I guess new models are coming with connectors.

Check out the attachment for pics. Thanks.

Unable to attach images.

Hey guys, i heard on every forum that Y510p's don't come with M2 NGFF SSD slot.

I bought my new Y510p (Model: 59390016) yesterday and guess what, it DOES have a connector slot for SSD.

I guess new models are coming with connectors.

Check out the attachment for pics. Thanks.

Unable to attach images.

I just purchased a new IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59405673 - Dusk B and it also has a M2 NGFF SSD slot with attached connector.

I purchased teh IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59401512 - Dusk Black version I will attach some pictures of the interior layout.

I can see where you could replace the optical drive with another hdd. Is that where the SSD will go as well? Will I have to replace the optical?

post-23256-14494997108727_thumb.jpg

post-23256-14494997106308_thumb.jpg

actually there are a msata slot and a ngff slot on y510p.

msata slot is connected to a wlan card but the length of that is not long enough for a msata ssd.

i also considered buy a ngff wlan card(7260AC) and install a msata ssd on the vacant msata slot but that needs professional skills

• 2 years later...

if the socket exists on the mobo, then yeah it works. i have installed a 256GB ssd and its been working great for more than couple years now. just make sure when you buy one, you buy the correct form factor which is 2242mm for the y510p.

the one i have:

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-256GB-MTS400-Solid-TS256GMTS400/dp/B00KLTPUG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482187063&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+ssd+2242

On 12/13/2016 at 4:26 AM, Theangelofspace15 said:

can we use this port for a egpu?

i dont think we can cause it is not a pcie ssd slot, it is wired to the sata controller.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 19-12-2016 at 11:39 PM, Tesla said:

if the socket exists on the mobo, then yeah it works. i have installed a 256GB ssd and its been working great for more than couple years now. just make sure when you buy one, you buy the correct form factor which is 2242mm for the y510p.

the one i have:

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-256GB-MTS400-Solid-TS256GMTS400/dp/B00KLTPUG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482187063&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+ssd+2242

I have the same SSD.. Works like a charm!

• 2 months later...