Compilation of all issues im experiencing on my M15X

Rubix

GPU-Z Log

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Shader Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Memory Used [MB] , GPU Load [%] , Memory Controller Load [%] , Video Engine Load [%] , VDDC [V] ,

2011-06-10 16: 08:22 , 550.0 , 950.4 , 1350.0 , 47.0 , 26 , 1 , 1 , 0 , 1.0000 ,

2011-06-10 16:20:02 , 550.0 , 950.4 , 1350.0 , 82.0 , 175 , 74 , 27 , 0 , 1.0000 ,

2011-06-10 16:27:37 , 550.0 , 950.4 , 1350.0 , 83.0 , 155 , 28 , 9 , 0 , 1.0000 ,

The 1st data is for b4 i started the game

The 2nd data is during the game running smoothly (80-91)

The 3rd data is when the game running with fps dropped (20-50/60)

I know 50fps may seem fine but i can definitely feel lag and slowing down

Ran black ops @ 1600x900

Graphics= medium

No AA

Bilinear

60hz

Vsync off

FOV= lowest

Edited by Rubix

Update: ALIENFX not working now FML

Updated alienware command centre and OSD through support.dell.com and now alienFx is not working

i tried the power drain method and offed and on alienfx, rebooted so many times, still not working, even the light for the caps lock is not working

Help pls

You need to check "Continue refreshing this screen whil GPU-Z is in the background" as well as "Log to file", should work.

The red screen indicates that the GPU is failing, especially as you have a fresh Window installation on your drive. Could also be a defect on the mobo, hard to tell for sure, that's a job for Dell. Also the AlienFx, very weird...

Call Dell, they probably have to examine the system a bit further and take it to their labs.

Ahh, and try again with the log file, I'd really like to see it.

You need to check "Continue refreshing this screen whil GPU-Z is in the background" as well as "Log to file", should work.

The red screen indicates that the GPU is failing, especially as you have a fresh Window installation on your drive. Could also be a defect on the mobo, hard to tell for sure, that's a job for Dell. Also the AlienFx, very weird...

Call Dell, they probably have to examine the system a bit further and take it to their labs.

Ahh, and try again with the log file, I'd really like to see it.

I did there are alot of data, the 1 i posted is roughly the data at the key parts

If u want to c the whole log, i uploaded it to mediafire

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

Will work, if you want you can get the latest version on the download section of this site.

Make sure you don't check any of the throttling settings, you only need to make a logfile. You should be able to turn off Throttlestop and simply make a logfile.

Some of your graphics errors and crashes could be a sign of a dying GPU. Like I said, I'd call them and let them take a look at the system.

Otherwise reapplythe thermal paste on the GPU and CPU , chances are that this will solve a lot of the throttling issues.

Also make sure that your system is free of dust, lifting the back of the notebook a bit helps keeping the temps down as well.

Guest KoZTa

Hello

Few things that can help:

1. Lift the Back of your system (I do it with an old mobile phone) My system temp is 40 on desktop, 68- 71 max after few hours of playing games like Starcraft 2 on Ultra!

2. My advice is not to install the newest drivers from Nvidia, (with them my system was crashing a lot) I Installed The Ones on Dell Site, So now on you tube my laptop may stop playing the video,and all I do is reload the page! but the SYSTEM DO NOT FREEZE!

Plus with them i Do not have Problems in games!

3.Clean your system with compressed CLEAN air (before you start verify that is just clean air), also the GPU fan is 2 screw removable, (Not like CPU one, where you need to take the Laptop apart) clean the vents if there is dust blocking from inside. You need to clean your Laptop at least ones every 6 mounts, If you traveling a lot - ones every 4 mounts!

I have Alienware M15x with GTX260m and It has some of your problems, These steps Helped me a bit, but so far there is no permanent solution to the problem that i know of! More and More I start thinking of Getting the GTX460m One, Or the Ati One! Good Luck!

I will call them by the end of this year (2011), because i got a major exam this year, i will update you guys once they do something, thx for all ur help so far, u guys are great, cheers!

my com now is getting really really bad even when running simple processes

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I have a suggestion @Rubix I am not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but you mentioned blue screen errors and YouTube which brings me to a problem my girlfriend had on her Fujitsu I gave her with an Ati Hd2600... I resolved the issue and here was the solution. Please give us an update of your issue Rubix. the issue was Flash uninstall all flash players and non internet explorer flash and all plugins... Restart and even do a registry clean and restart just to be sure old code is gone. Now update to the latest version of Adobe flash but go directly to the site afterward and click on the flash preview video and disable hardware video acceleration... setting these on the global settings fixed my problem and I no longer had any blue screens when a YouTube or flash video tried to load... and since flash is so common maybe you should try this there's a chance this is why such frequent crashes... But if you do have faulty hardware there's no way around it, it would need to be replaced... Either way let us know Rubix how everything going buddy.

Thx for the suggestion, ill try it out,

1 thing happened to my com recently, battery plugged in+ ac adapted plugged in and on, but i cant on my com, it was like dead, for 1 day,i tried the power drain method and lots of other combinations but dint work,

then i went on holiday for 2 days and when i came back i pressed it, my com rebooted and works again, (i was about to post this but i felt like it was kinda redundant since it works again)

so far right now, the annoying thing is alienfx i cant c my touch screen buttons lol, cant c my caps lock indicator too, kinda annoying but as long as my com is functioning at this moment im happy, and now i literally cant play any games at all, straight away fps drop, even in css and minecraft, so i just use it for web browsing and rendering videos( which takes longer than usual)

yeahh thats my update :) and i heard that i cant extend my warranty when my warranty is over ( read it somewhere online) but idk :/

Thx for the suggestion, ill try it out,

1 thing happened to my com recently, battery plugged in+ ac adapted plugged in and on, but i cant on my com, it was like dead, for 1 day,i tried the power drain method and lots of other combinations but dint work,

then i went on holiday for 2 days and when i came back i pressed it, my com rebooted and works again, (i was about to post this but i felt like it was kinda redundant since it works again)

so far right now, the annoying thing is alienfx i cant c my touch screen buttons lol, cant c my caps lock indicator too, kinda annoying but as long as my com is functioning at this moment im happy, and now i literally cant play any games at all, straight away fps drop, even in css and minecraft, so i just use it for web browsing and rendering videos( which takes longer than usual)

yeahh thats my update :) and i heard that i cant extend my warranty when my warranty is over ( read it somewhere online) but idk :/

I hope you resolve your issues. Yes I would extend the warranty before the one you have runs out and send it in for repair. Don't have a tech come out they have no clue how to work on sensitive systems like alienware.. have them repair it in factory.

• 1 month later...