m17x r5 bios and upgrades

lodoss118

Hi guys was wondering whats the deal with the r5, all I see on here is r2, r3, r4?

Does anyone have this model?

I have the m17x r5, bios version A07, which is the latest. I was wondering is there an unlocked bios for this?

I wanted to do some upgrades like get 2x 1tb samsung evo ssds put them in raid 0 - does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I saw upgrademonkey has the geforce 880m 8gb I was thinking I might get this, I already have an 780m?

Am I being stupid

I ideally also want to upgrade the msata(but seems dangerious opening) and the blu ray to a

blu ray writer drive but nto sure which one I can get? Any suggestions?

Hi guys was wondering whats the deal with the r5, all I see on here is r2, r3, r4?

Does anyone have this model?

I have the m17x r5, bios version A07, which is the latest. I was wondering is there an unlocked bios for this?

I wanted to do some upgrades like get 2x 1tb samsung evo ssds put them in raid 0 - does anyone think this is a bad idea?

I saw upgrademonkey has the geforce 880m 8gb I was thinking I might get this, I already have an 780m?

Am I being stupid

I ideally also want to upgrade the msata(but seems dangerious opening) and the blu ray to a

blu ray writer drive but nto sure which one I can get? Any suggestions?

The 780m is superior to the 880m due to having an unlocked BIOS available and likely faster memory (when overclocked). Just overclock the 780m to 880m speeds if you want an 880m.

Cool that's good to know save money.

I want to get x2 tb samsung evo ssd drives and put them in raid 0 but not sure if evo will work great in raid 0.

I want to upgrade my blu ray reader with a blu ray writer but probably is not worth it?

• 2 weeks later...

Adding msata is not soo complicated, with propeer tools and manual from dell website you can do it with ease. You will need probably extra screw for assembling it on motherboard because im pretty sure it will be missing if you bought your system without msata preinstalled. Personally im using msata 80gb for OS and apps only and Im using my 1TB hdd for data. In case of Bluray drive I dont have any experience but i think that any decent bluray drive available on the market will be ok. You can also call Dell and ask for compatible model list.

Hi guys i have just upgraded my alienware it now has 2x samsung 1 tb evo drives in raid0 also upgraded the blu ray to blu ray writer that supports triple and quad layer blu ray discs.

my specs are as follows:

intel i7 4800mq

32gb ram

2x 1tb samsung evo raid 0

780m nvidia

blu ray writer

I am using the Dell ram, but with my old m17x r3 can change from CL11 to CL9 stably and with original Dell bios

all parts arent built the same, your new ram may just be unable to handle it, if your saying its the same ram from the other notebook, then upgrading bios may correct it

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys i have just upgraded my alienware it now has 2x samsung 1 tb evo drives in raid0 also upgraded the blu ray to blu ray writer that supports triple and quad layer blu ray discs.

my specs are as follows:

intel i7 4800mq

32gb ram

2x 1tb samsung evo raid 0

780m nvidia

blu ray writer

I'm looking to upgrade the Blu-Ray drive of my AW17 R5 to a writer as well. What is the model number of the drive you installed to be compatible with the slot loading bay ?

RAID 0 for SSD's require Intel RST driver version 11.7 or above to use TRIM and ensure that the drives stay in a consistent performance state as well. The EVO 1TB drives are plenty fast on their own and having them in RAID0 just makes it all the more complex to restore the data should one drive die. Only way I would go with that setup is if I bought 1 x 2.5" EVO 1TB and paired it with an mSATA version of the same drive, put them in RAID0 for system and then had an additional mechanical drive as a backup drive. A 2TB RAID 0 SSD system drive is pretty awesome though :)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, there i'd like to ask u, is here some option where i can get unlocked bios for m17xr5 laptop? I'd like to try turn off HyperThreading because temperatures. In original latest version of bios from Dell (AW17A13) That option is hidden

Hello, there i'd like to ask u, is here some option where i can get unlocked bios for m17xr5 laptop? I'd like to try turn off HyperThreading because temperatures. In original latest version of bios from Dell (AW17A13) That option is hidden

Disabling HT does not help with temperatures. I have extensively tested this.

You should look elsewhere to improve temps. Either repaste, increase die pressure, case modding, etc.

Cooling pads can also moderately help. Depends on the system however (case design, venting, etc).

• 1 month later...