PCTorque Reseller + X7200

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

Hey guys,

I found this Sager reseller at pctorque.com that has an accidental damage protection warranty. This makes the np7280 an option for me if Dell doesn't fix my m17x. i don't want to make a duplicate thread about m18x vs x7200 but my main uses for a laptop will be software development and research, hardcore gaming, and maybe video editing. if i go with the x7200, i will get 6-cores and that will put it ahead of the m18x in terms of performance. i could also go for dual 485m's if i have enough money. that would be nice since it will have physx and cuda which are nice addons. the igp is a nice feature for m18x. also the x7200 has the 17.3" LED 95% gammat display (i think its matte too). i personally don't think the x7200 looks that bad either. i actually thinks it looks pretty professional. what do you guys think?

Well if it comes down to performance and you can fully utilize all 6 cores it may be just the right decision for you, but I have read of newer 6core and octacore processors coming and in the works like extreme 6 core(12 including HT) sandybridge coming (desktop chip of course). Also there will be GPU updates to the M18x and we should see them by E3 next month. Ivy Bridge is around the corner. Otherwise the 990X is still quite a beast.

Edit: I am happy I'm getting the M18x but if it doesn't have enough power for you it's not really a viable option for you.

Edited by mw86

I think it's a powerful beast, but it's getting old, the power brick(s) are ridiculous, the keyboard isn't backlit and it gets basically no battery life.

For all that, I still nearly bought one.

As of now I'm set on M18X, I think it's superior in enough areas that matter to me, but It's still a hard decision.

Guest bifnewman

am i the only one who thinks the dual psu's give it more room for upgrades? also the really good cooling will help with gpu upgrades down the line and not to mention that the 990x is overclockable. hopefully the change up the chassis for the p180hm because the x8100 looks like shit. way too glossy. i like the x7200 looks. imo, it doesn't need to look like an alienware and have flashy lights and stuff (except backlit keyboard), it just needs to look professional. hopefully clevo will add in igpu support in the p180hm. the chassis must not be glossy for the p180hm, though. that alone would cross it off my list.

Yeah, and while I'd love a heavily overclocked 990x I just don't need it. For my purposes it would only make a difference in benching, which would be a total waste.

Guest bifnewman

i'll probably wait for p180hm refresh. i like the idea of a desktop x58 chipset, though. for some reason, ive actually been leaning away from alienware. i've never had a clevo before. maybe an x7200 refresh? does anyone know if they are making a lga2011 refresh soon?

i'll probably wait for p180hm refresh. i like the idea of a desktop x58 chipset, though. for some reason, ive actually been leaning away from alienware. i've never had a clevo before. maybe an x7200 refresh? does anyone know if they are making a lga2011 refresh soon?

Neat in that case wait for SandyBridge or IvyBridge desktop processors to come to a new clevo build! That could be powerful!

Guest bifnewman

someone on nbr posted a pic of the x7200 lga2011 motherboard from computex 2011. on average, how long does the stuff at computex take to make it to the resellers?

someone on nbr posted a pic of the x7200 lga2011 motherboard from computex 2011. on average, how long does the stuff at computex take to make it to the resellers?

That is excellent news, I didn't think it'd be anywhere near ready yet.

Guest bifnewman

I can definitely tell you to not expect it before the lga2011 motherboards and cpu's release. This thing will be a beast. Some new info:

The model # will be: W270HM

It will have a 3D screen and 4 DIMM Slots.

17.3" again.

Hopefully it will have a nice screen.

I'm gonna hang on to this thing at least until the GTX 580M or AMD 6990M comes out. Maybe longer if the 6970M's work in this...