Crysis 3 crashing on my GT70 Dragon Edition

apprenticegamer

Hi there, I have a Gt70 dragon edition, I7 3630 4gb Gt680m, 16gb ram. Problem is when playing Cry3 I get hard crashes, after just minutes of playing. A window opens saying " CryEngine Error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED " Have contacted ea, and there customer support, first they claimed my video card could not handle cry3, then decided that it was because game never used Nvidia gpu, told me the intel graphics was doing 60+ fps, and at the end decided that it was a compatability issue with win8. All in 1 conversation :very_drunk:. Has anybody else seen this issue, any ideas to resolve ? All thoughts appreciated.

Thanxs Ken

This could be down to the Nvidia Drivers crashing out. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GPU drivers i had same issue with BF4 which was the same error did a uninstall of the GPU drivers and reinstalled them and have been working great since.

Ea Help are muppets they blame everything on the users end and never say its because of there software.

Also have a look at the event log that might give you more information.

Forgot to add is your GPU overclocked if it is try knocking the overclock back slightly!

Another Edit, Some else on the EA forum has same issue and fixed it just by turning off AA..

I have uninstalled cleaned with drive fusion and installed the last 4 drivers from NVidia, I lowered settings, turned off aa, still crashing within a couple minutes of play, Ican go longer without crashing if I create a new profile and turn aa off, all other settings to default medium, seems that I can play longer but, still freezes/crashes. I am wondering if my psu is the issue, always seems to crash at exactly 70c on high settings, on medium with aa off crashes at 75 c, when it does crash on high settings my psu will cut out and stop charging, but the brick is only slightly warm ? unplug and plug good again. As a side note seems that now Farcry3 and bioshock infinite are crashing even on medium settings (video card crashed, windows bubble tells me thatnvidia driver crashed and recovered on fc3 and bioshock, never says of crash and recovery on crysis3), and has never crashed before getting crysis3. Is the crysis corrupting my dx 11, is it my power brick, can I test ? How do I access event log ? Sorry kinda green here. Thanks for thoughts.

Ken

Depends on which version of windows you have on how to access eventlog so to make it super easy just press the Winkey+R and type eventvwr.exe press enter it will then bring a new window up, on that new window click Windows Log then Application. Then Under Action click filter current log and Select Critical Warning and Error check boxes then click OK.

Then look for anything to do with Nvidia or the game. Once you have found something click on that item in the log and it will then give you some details underneath then just copy and paste it hear.

But with that what you just said, I would find another PSU as it sounding to be the PSU (Brick) rather then the drivers. If you have a low Wattage PSU see if you can get a higher one for example i had a 150watt psu and i bought a 180watt PSU and everything runs better for it.

Sweet thanks fer the speedy reply, I will chk the logs and post back. I kinda thinkin along your lines I think the psu is dead, shame only 8 months old, Is there a way to confirm? I have seen mention of a 230 watt dell on this site being used with my machine. Question I have is from msi they released an ec update that I believe removed a 180 watt limitation in the controller, and allowing the 680m to grab more power. I have not oc the card but will the 230 watt brick be an issue ? as I understand electricity is pulled not pushed, but could my card pull to much power for the rest of my laptop ?

Ken

The EC update from MSI did something i know to stop the throttling not sure if it was down to removing the power limit though.

You are correct power is pulled and not pushed. Has this only started since updating the EC firmware.

The GTX680M is a 100watt card from what i read. But reading on other sites the total power draw of the whole laptop was 179watts on a full load.

Have your tried throttlestop and enabling that to see if it will calm down the power draw.

Actually updated the ec many months ago, without issues till this started up. I have been fighting a really hot video card since new. originally the 680m would game above 90c after numerous repasts I have only been able to get it down to 88-89c. Strangley enough on the first repaste, I had gaming temps around 75c, but lasted a brief time (one day) and temps were back up. I just feel that the issue is in the video card, but would like to confirm the issue. The laptop is still under warranty, I am just concerned that if the service centre diagnosis my system, sometimes things are missed and would like to be able to show them the problem is here kinda thing. I have not tried throttle stop, not sure that would be of benefit for me. Almost would be nice if the card would just die completely and remove doubt. I really do appreciate all your thoughts, I am getting smarter :78:

Thanks

Ken

Forgot to mention in event viewer showing errors in Log Name: Application Source: C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationNvStreamSrv vstreamsvc.exe Date: 2014-01-28 11:43:01 AM Event ID: 1 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: KensDragon Description: The description for Event ID 1 from source C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationNvStreamSrv vstreamsvc.exe cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:

C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationNvStreamSrv vstreamsvc.exe Can't get user token [1008] Event Xml: 1 2 0 0x80000000000000 4720 Application KensDragon C:Program FilesNVIDIA CorporationNvStreamSrv vstreamsvc.exe Can't get user token [1008]

as well an errors for nvstreamsrv

NvStreamSvc
Stream service as user abnormally ended. Re-launching... [0]

Are these the errors you were asking about not sure what this means but is happening lots on both issues,

thanks thoughts appreciated

Ken

That my friend is normal even in my Event Log i get many of them. I am trying to findout how to cap the temps now via chat screen on mainpage as that might help you. I am using MSI afterbuner on my new GTX770M there is a setting on there about temps.

But for the GPU to be getting that high something is not right. Are the fans working mate ? i.e are the leaf blowers working? Best bet is to talk to @svl7 to see if he can do something about the Temp issue via a Vbios update. 90c is not healthy on a GPU i try to be max 80c at best. But with my new 770M i am only hitting 66-70c's when gaming and shadow playing at the same time on my NB.

Only other thing i can say is repaste with new greese making sure on a gain size pea is applied and see if that helps. I use MX-4 as IC-Diamond scratches the hell out of the CPU or GPU dies.

I also use Brasso on the Heatsink to lap it and clean that off with TIM cleaner as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ya the leaf blowers blow like crazy, those seem like dam fine temps.Thought I might have seen a temp cap limit in the NVidia inspector app (name wrong ?) I wish I was getting close to that. I have repasted this laptop 4 times with mx4 and the arctic 2pt cleaner system. I have no experience prior to this but honestly my repastes look better than the vids I see on you tube ( they always look heavy to me) I also have been tinning the heat sinks. and done without as well just to see if different and not for me. Never considered Brasso, remember it from days long ago, like the idea, was also thinking of copper shims, ur thoughts ?

Are you saying you get the error of hardware missing or corrupted, I was wondering if my video card was loose ?

Thanks again, read ur thread with your GTX770M, sweetness

Ken

Hope you get the issue fixed mate. The GTX770M is nice mate, only now i am having issues with my PSU which is a 180watt dumping its Wattage when underload. If your still in warranty go for it as the day after warrenty expires you will get two fingers trust me on that on had the same issue with the company that i got my barebones from.

Basically i use the Brasso to clean all the crap of the Copper and make the Copper very shiny, (its better then using grit paper) then i clean with TIM before putting it back on the GPU.

Brasso is a pretty handy.

4 weeks without laptop to get it fixed is better then having to sort the issue yourself.

yes tru, get it looked after, hopefully hassle free. Sending out first of the week. Yes the psu seems to be a common concern for msi laptops. Too chicken to oc while I have warranty but I think a stronger brick like the dell maybe, (seems popular) would let the 680m or your 770m flex a little bit better. I will be picking up some Brasso, like that idea, have you ever looked into copper shims ?

Thanks for your thoughts muchly appreciated.

Ken

I have used Shims in the good old days of the AMD Spitfire, when Overclocking was at the beginning in my life. never liked them to be honest.

I main reason its loose unless you thermal paste it twice or you can go too far when bolting down the heat sink and crush what ever is underneath it.

Whilst with brasso you can get the same shine and its a cutter too so it helps to even the copper plate over time with its inperfections, I have always used this method.

All you do is clean the Thermal greese off the Heatsink then with a non-static cloth apply a small bit of Brasso on the cloth, then work it in till all the dirt comes off (Turns Black) then clean the dirt of and Buff.

Just make sure after you buff you re-clean with tim to insure there is no particals left from the brasso apply thermal paste like normal and enjoy watching the shiny copper getting dirty again but with a cleaner contact.

As for PSU i originally had with my system the 150Watt PSU i then upgraded as i tried to get a AMD 7970M MXM card to work but fail'd due to lack of working cards then bought a 180 Watt ready for the next AMD card but then decided after all the hassle to use the GTX770M which now i love how fast it is. Even with the stock vBios its still boosting to 862 on the GPU LOL.

Also my ears are now saved as the fans do not go leafblower so fast.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used Shims in the good old days of the AMD Spitfire, when Overclocking was at the beginning in my life. never liked them to be honest.

I main reason its loose unless you thermal paste it twice or you can go too far when bolting down the heat sink and crush what ever is underneath it.

Whilst with brasso you can get the same shine and its a cutter too so it helps to even the copper plate over time with its inperfections, I have always used this method.

All you do is clean the Thermal greese off the Heatsink then with a non-static cloth apply a small bit of Brasso on the cloth, then work it in till all the dirt comes off (Turns Black) then clean the dirt of and Buff.

Just make sure after you buff you re-clean with tim to insure there is no particals left from the brasso apply thermal paste like normal and enjoy watching the shiny copper getting dirty again but with a cleaner contact.

As for PSU i originally had with my system the 150Watt PSU i then upgraded as i tried to get a AMD 7970M MXM card to work but fail'd due to lack of working cards then bought a 180 Watt ready for the next AMD card but then decided after all the hassle to use the GTX770M which now i love how fast it is. Even with the stock vBios its still boosting to 862 on the GPU LOL.

Also my ears are now saved as the fans do not go leafblower so fast.

Hi - any success on your issues with Crisis? I seem to be getting the same with my GT70, 680m... I run battlefield 4 on max settings for hours and nothing. But crysis 3 crashes it to desktop (and then I can't select any applications, just power button works).

Temperatures are alright.

• 3 weeks later...

@Bailante Have you tried repairing Crysis 3 Install?

I have no issues with Crysis 3 at all, If its crashing to Desktop on start i suggest you Install Geforce Experience and run that then select under the games section Custom Settings. Its a Spanner icon and drag the toggle right down. Then try loading the game again if it works after that just keep messing with the settings till you find the setting thats causing the issue.