GT780DXR throttling down

Semstress

Hi. I have a GT780DXR that i have upgraded to a GTX770m that is a subvendor Nvidia card and installed modded nvidia drivers.

The card is functioning fine, the only problem is that the cpu throttling down in some games causing massive fps drops.

For example in crysis 3 i have 40 fps and every 5/6 seconds it drops to 9 fps becaus of the cpu throttle down!

I have been using cpu-z and when the frames dropso does the cpu core vid and speed!

Now the most interesting part... this does not happens in tombraider 2013 nor in batman arkham origins and others, but i happens in crysis 3, splinter cell blacklist, bulletstorm and other games!

Anyone with the same problem?

My temps on my i7 2670QM never goes higher then 75c on a 5 hour gaming session with Throttlestop on setting for 2.2GHZ. I had the CPU throttle issue when playing some games as the CPU was boosting to 3.0GHZ then throwing the clocks down again as the CPU was getting hot around the 89-94c. So now i use Throttlestop set at just 2.2GHZ all the time with no issues with throttling and if i need a bit more power i manually set it to 24T but never any further.

You can try to repaste the CPU but the test test is to use throttlestop first to see if this fixes the issue if it does then its down to Intel Turbo Boost and then you just find the sweet spot where temps is low enough at a set clock speed after you repasted the CPU with new thermal compound.

I use Between 24T and 25T i stay at the same temps as you on both. The only Difference on my GPU is now its a GTX770M and not a GTX560M.

Other then that you might stay under 80c with 26T but don't go trying 27T 28T 30T or 31T as it will just get too hot as you have found out.

With you setting a 31T you some how managed to force all cores to 3.1GHZ which is infact a Overclock as 3.1GHZ is ment for 1 core, 2 Cores its 3.0GHZ, 3 Cores 2.9GHZ and 4 Cores 2.8GHZ.

Glad though you sorted your issue.

If your going for a Upgrade on MXM, i am very happy with the perfomance of the GTX770M and that is Max Boosted with no power limit. I have a link of where i got it and the same link is on the forums too. As you have a GTX570M you only need the GPU as the heatsink is the same.

Max temp for me on GTX770M full load is 70c most times its as low as 59c to 65c on load. The 70c is the max temp i have recorded on the GTX770M so far.

I realized that 31T was too much when the cpu maxed at 87C after 1 hour playing Crysis 3 so i dropped it to 24T and i'm very happy with the temps now!

I also have the GTX770M flashed with unlocked oc bios from the forums here. Extremely happy with it. The performance is a lot better than that of the 570M.

However my 770M has reached temps of 76C/77C full load.

76/77C on a Full load is not bad, Just remember our 5xx Series would of been at 96c + and ready to cook eggs!

I used to have the Unlocked Bios from here but i got a stock vBios flashed that and Unlocked the stock one as i was getting a wierd UEFI message before the system even posted and now i don't.

Glad your running the dream mate. I play crysis series as well and the card does really well. All i have to do is get a better CPU in the XM range.