Use P170EM motherboard in P170HM case

Hterag

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. One of my friends wants to part out his laptop and he offered to sell me a P170EM motherboard for a really good price. I'm currently using a P170HM and wondered if I could fit it in.

Is this possible? Are there any differences in port layout or the internals of the P170EM that would prevent this?

I'm using the following hardware:

Core i7 2960XM

GTX 580M (which I'd like to upgrade to a 680M if I get the motherboard)

2x 4GB 1600MHz DDR3

1x SSD

1x HDD (No RAID etc.)

1x BD combo drive

Intel 6230 wireless

Would any of the above cause issues? I know that the chipset is upgraded to HM77 vs. HM67 in the HM model so I'll reinstall Windows etc. but could there be any other issues?

Thanks in advance.

All your components will still be usable. Take a look here at the boards:

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo-sager/5573-%5Bhardware-mod%5D-improve-pch-vrm-cooling-2.html#post78065

It is possible, provided that you know how to use a soldering iron. You will have to

solder no backlight keyboard connector (24 pin) and flash the EC from P151EM and vbios from GTX675M. ;)

EDIT: the bottom case is also different DP vs eSATA

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies.

You will have to

solder no backlight keyboard connector (24 pin) and flash the EC from P151EM and vbios from GTX675M. ;)

EDIT: the bottom case is also different DP vs eSATA

Regarding these things, can I not just use the non-backlit keyboard? Do you mean the P170EM board comes with a different keyboard connector to the one on the HM? I suppose the P151EM doesn't have a backlit keyboard.

Looking at the photos of the P170EM, the port configuration is actually quite a bit different. The eSATA is on the left side instead of the back (replaced with a display port) and the mini firewire has been moved to the back of the left side instead.

Seems like more of a modification than I'm willing to make, perhaps it'd be better to pick up a used barebones P170EM... Thanks for the replies, anyway.

Shoot calculations which got better value for your money, with possible compatibly will buy barebones + motherboard, I have made a plan to G73 P170 mainboard, and is much modified, making new holes in the housing is not a problem, the problem is to fix the motherboard to the appropriate height to motherboard does not interfere with other components, plates of ports can freely expand but it costs a lot of time.