how not to cooooooool a grahpic card !

upgrademonkey

• 6 months later...

Wow lol what a mess and I'm surprised it still worked after that silver thermal paste as well. Users who don't have experience shouldn't just jump right into a DIY project without getting some practice and reading some common basic knowledge on computers and proper cooling techniques unlike the above.

• Thumbs Up 1

No it really isn't an advised way. Majority of thermal interface material are thermal pastes and they usually need contact pressure to perform well, something you shouldn't really do to a vram module is adding the same pressures you would have on the cores die. The vram needs to be cooled just like the core but the pads work well as long as they make full contact. Cooling the core die is recommended with thermal pastes. Enthusiasts might throw on some thermal paste but usually they need to fill a gap that is bigger than any die to heatsink contact and as you can see can cause the paste to be able to spread where it should not be off those vram modules. I'm glad the Upgrademonkey's card was recoverable. In fact the core was pasted there with an excessive amount of paste as the OP says is conductive and it spread onto all those sensitive areas that's should not be electrically connected to each other which could cause serious damage due to shorting out those circuits. Where as the core die in the center is no issue at all to be covered with paste. It only needs to be like a lentil sized peace of paste maybe slightly bigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrademonkey I didn't know you were on these forums. While I am here I would like to ask you about the verbiage that you use in your eBay listing for your cards. You say "one at a time only" for SLI machines. Does that mean you can install the cards in SLI machines but only one of them will work and they will not work in conjunction? I didn't think that is what you mean but it makes me wonder. Also, are the cards you have new?