SSD Tweaks comparison on HM67 Chipset

Michael

• Founder

I decided i'd compare the performance of two famous tweaks done to the OS to improve SSD performance.

Those tweaks became famous due to the previous generation of laptop chipsets that were limiting SSD performance to preserve battery life.

I'll be comparing a Vertex 3 240GB SSD on SATA III (6 GB/s) interface inside the Alienware M17x-R3.

(Note : Even though the tests were made on the M17x-R3 the results are almost identical with the M18x, since they use the same chipset. I confirmed it with [MENTION=5]Brian K.[/MENTION])

I measured the performance with CrystalDiskmark in three cases.

• Default install without any tweaks
  • JJB processor power state tweaks via windows power management
  • IntelPPM tweak, brought to us by our own @StamatisX which for previous chipset models brought the best performance increase.

So without further ado, here are the results.

4lFlV.jpg

As you can see, no much gain there.

Here's another look at the results, the graphs are improvement in percents over the default result in read and and write.

JXEIH.jpg

We can see that the best performance increase is achieved with the intelPPM tweak, at 4K reads. Rest of the improvements are quite negligible - under 5% in in some cases i even saw a decreased performance.

One note about intelPPM, it does seem to disable turbo boost on non-extreme CPUs so, it's quite unusable for most of us.

You guys can draw your own conclusions of course, but for me, those tweaks are not worth the trouble.

Another conclusion is that the current HM67 chipset does not seem to suffer from bad SSD performance, at least not as much as the previous chipset was.

Opinions ?

• Thumbs Up 2

Very nice comparison, thank you!

I don't think the differences are noticeable in everyday tasks. It's nice to know that the new chipsets have a better SSD performance than the first gen i7 boards. It isn't necessary to apply any of these two tweaks with the new chipsets imo, not even with the 2920xm.

Maybe I did something wrong, but when I applied the IntelPPM tweak on my M15x it didn't function anymore after a reboot and the multi was fixed on a low value...

• Founder
Maybe I did something wrong, but when I applied the IntelPPM tweak on my M15x it didn't function anymore after a reboot and the multi was fixed on a low value...

Yes, that's exactly the problem with that tweak, it seems to disable turbo boost and the cpu gets stuck on some low multiplier.

But i though that it does work fine with the 920XM CPU. I know that @StamatisX runs with this tweak on his rig, and he has the 920XM too with Turbo Boost on.

Maybe worth asking him...

Thanks for testing this Michael.

So it looks like HM67 is 50% slower in 4k writes than P67. That is powerfully disappointing for me in my line of work. I guess I have to wait for the R2 and hope for Z68.

-Ash

• Founder
Thanks for testing this Michael.

So it looks like HM67 is 50% slower in 4k writes than P67. That is powerfully disappointing for me in my line of work. I guess I have to wait for the R2 and hope for Z68.

-Ash

why? does this drive get to 90mb/s 4k writes?

• Founder

Very interesting findings Michael, I wish we had a user with an R2 to check with the same SSD drive, I want to see if the difference is because of the SSD controller or the new chipset desing.

It's SATA 2 performance is not the best from what I read

Well that just sucks... seems to say buy sata 2 for sata 2 and buy sata 3 drives for Sata 3 compatible.