Need a new slim laptop!

CukieL

Question

15 answers to this question

I just bought a Lenovo Y510P, but I was looking at the Dell XPS 15. I checked it out at the Microsoft Store and it's slim but still has nice specs:

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7-4702HQ (Haswell)16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM

1TB 5400 rpm HDD+ 32GB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics (2GB)

15.6" LED-Backlit Touchscreen

QHD+ 3200 x 1800 Native Resolution

Not sure what your budget is but, I've seen this model run from $1700-$1900 depending on the site.

If you want the thinnest yet expandable Haswell notebook then consider a 14" Dell Latitude E6440. It has a socketted CPU allowing a user-upgrade i7-quad such as i7-4800MQ, 900P LCD option, expresscard option (for hosting a desktop video card - eGPU), H8690M dGPU option, 3/6/9-cell battery option. Optical drive can be swapped out for second HDD/SSD, probably giving RAID-0/1 option with primary drive. One gen-older Ivy Bridge 12.5" HP 2570P with similar feature set minus 900P LCD and dGPU at a lower pricepoint.

What about Macbook Air, the slimmest laptop in industry :) And one of the best specs.

I wouldn't say that. I have a Mac Air and had a Samsumg 900x3c Ultrabook, the Sammy was smaller with the same screen size. The Sammy was an awesome Machine, only complaint was the battery life could have been a bit better.

Depending on what your planning on doing a Macbook Air or Samsung ultrabook are pretty good. If you want more power though you may be a bit stuck as power + slim don't go together very well due to the cooling restraints of a small chassis!

sorry, but the y500 is not a slim laptop by any means! Its thick and heavy (I'm typing from one right now lol), but its a gaming beast!

If you want something cheap, slim, cute and awesome, I'd go for a refurb Asus Q501LA. I recently bought one, and although it is not for gaming, the IPS screen is beautiful, battery life is great (almost 10 hours with SSD), and it's almost 1/2 height of the Lenovo.

Gaming wise... I'd say the Lenovo Y50 is a pretty good laptop. It came out this year (I forget what month sorry), and is considerably thinner than the Y510p, with the only caveat according to Linus Tech Tips being the display. Other than that, Razer is currently doing Back-to-school sales (I believe with the purchase of a Blade, you'll get $50 in credit for their store). MSI GS60s is a good laptop, other than that... I"d have to say the Lenovo Y50 is the most budget-oriented laptop.

If you are just doing business work on the laptop, get something with battery life. Try to lenovo yoga, the only thing I don't like is the function keys lcd, switching back and forth is annoying. Dell XPS 15 is a good choice as well, if the price is too steep, you can get older model used but in crisp condition online.