New Y50 and Y40 announced at CES 2014

nemofunk

Hey all,

Not sure if any of you saw or care but Lenovo has announced 2 new models closely related to the Y500 and Y400,

Spec wise they seem to be pretty sound, With the option of getting a 4k screen too also the ability for touch.

A Nvidia gpu was stated but wasn't said which one it would be, but there is also going to be an option of an AMD

R9 m270 w/ 4gb as well, some rumors abound that there also will be an SLI version too (although un-confirmed).

-4th gen i7 (not stated which)

-up to 16gb of ram

-many hard drive variations HDD, SSD and SSHD were all mentioned.

Pretty standard fare considering the models it is "replacing",

Launch window is May 2014

not sure if I can, due to me being new but a quick google search will lead you to the spec sheet and announcement

from Lenovo.

~nEmo

Won't be a gaming lappy no more.

The GPU will be utterly trashed at 4k resolution.

Tis' True, but you can always bring it down to a lower res. In my opinion i think that the slimmer profile is something to look forward to. I wonder when they are going to come out with 4k Movies... =] that would be pretty awesome for this laptop. the underbelly base feature sounds pretty awesome too! =D

Hate that I'd have to pay for a touchscreen, but a 4K display would be cool, even if the laptops would be around $4000 if it could handle it with gaming.

Perhaps this will be for 4K movies primarily?

Even so, I'd recommend waiting. Every time they raise the bar on display quality the processors have never caught up to handling them and they lag horribly. Hold out.

Hmmm, interested to see what GeForce card they go with in there. The spec sheet I looked at, it made it seems like the AMD R9 was only going to be an option on the Y40 and not the Y50. Looks like a launch of April or May. Not clear but do these have an UltraBay like their predecessors?

Also lets hope they decouple the cooling of the main GPU and CPU...

I would agree, the slimmer profile is nothing but a good thing.

Wouldn't want to game at 4k res. anyways, I don't need to kill my eye sight before Im 50, unless Im playing slower paced games like Sim City or something of the like.

Touch I could go either way, if it was there Alright but it wouldn't be something I would actively seek out.