M18x graphics burned now small problem waiting for a new one

bentouch

Hi!

As topic says one of my gtx580m burned (literally flashed and smoked when we tested it with dell technician) so now I am without the primary card. Even though the secondary 580m is still in my bios doesn't see any card besides Intel Sandy Bridge which is obviously integrated IntelHD.

Now when i tried to run my system, windows loads, but I can't get to the desktop cause all I get is a white screen. It's the same on safe mode and even when I tried to run Linux from the USB. Is there any option to change integrated graphics as my primary without getting on windows for fn+f7?

It's white screen all the time...

Any ideas? Thanks, Tycjan.

@bentouch

Sorry to hear about this. That's a bummer. Hopefully, your machine is still under warranty and it will get fixed or replaced. My assumption is that you are covered since this happened while you were received some sort of guidance with a Dell technician.

In the meanwhile, simply remove the bad card. If you have 580M SLI, put the good GPU (assuming both are not fried) into the primary slot and leave the burned one out. If you have only on 580M or both of them are fried, simply remove the MXM module(s) and the system should automatically default to using the Intel HD Graphics when you power up the machine.

Hey, thanks for Your reply.

Yes I am under the warranty but technician with new GPU is comming on Monday and I am totally bored (I am in Denmark atm and got nothing else to do). So what he did is he just took out the fried one and left the other one in because as he said he mustn't move the other one (cause it is illegal in some way) but I can do it myself - the next problem is I didn't take any of my screwdrivers with me so I can't really do it myself :D

That's why I am asking for some other way to force the system to start on Intel HD ;s

Video is private and cannot be viewed. If it does it even with integrated graphics, then there may be something wrong with the LVDS (display) cable or the display panel itself. Obviously, replacing the video cards is not going to fix it.

I just set the video so You can watch it. Today I got my new GPU but as we expected it didn't fix anything. BIOS now recognize both cards, but white screen is still appearing. Technician called some dell guys and they came up with changing the MOBO again. Obviously when we changed it the first time, the bad GPU had to destroy it while it was burning. So tommorow morning we start again xd

Okay there boys! Good news! We just changed the MOBO and my M18x is working again! I am so happy :D So white screen was a result of broken MOBO - but now everything fixed. I think You could change the topic and add "Fixed" and maybe close the thread? Thanks!