Help me Build my little bro a computer

My little bro got a GTX 650 Ti boost 1gb as a gift, at the moment it's in his old computer but he thinks it's time for an upgrade.

I want to help him build a budget computer, and for the most part we have some partst laying around so there's no need for a new HDD, Disk bay, or PSU. So that leaves the important stuff (new MB, CPU, RAM and a new case)

I was trying to get these parts for 200-300 and I have put together a part list with pcpartpicker:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-Siberian-01 51.9 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Video Card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card (have already)

Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: 600W ATX Power Supply (have already)

What do you guys think?

You should at least provide a price range and usage profile.

I don't know if the 6 core processor is necessary. I own one myself and found it difficult to make use of all those cores at first. I now use it in a server where the processing power is really used.

If your ego doesn't require a 6-core CPU you should consider a 4-core. I realize the AMD FX-6300 is not much more expensive then a AMD FX-4300, but if you look at the clocks it is 3.5GHz vs 3.8GHz (both 4GHz boost) which is certainly worth thinking about.

However you could spend some money on memory, 4 GB is pretty low end these days. I think a 2x 4 GB configuration should give you enough breathing room for now and the near future.

• Thumbs Up 1

You should at least provide a price range and usage profile.

I don't know if the 6 core processor is necessary. I own one myself and found it difficult to make use of all those cores at first. I now use it in a server where the processing power is really used.

If your ego doesn't require a 6-core CPU you should consider a 4-core. I realize the AMD FX-6300 is not much more expensive then a AMD FX-4300, but if you look at the clocks it is 3.5GHz vs 3.8GHz (both 4GHz boost) which is certainly worth thinking about.

However you could spend some money on memory, 4 GB is pretty low end these days. I think a 2x 4 GB configuration should give you enough breathing room for now and the near future.

^+1

@h0m3g33:

4core processor should be sufficient, the cpu cooler should then be ok too. If you go with the 6core I would recommend a bigger respectively more efficient cooler.

At the moment you have an ATXsized motherboard, there are also mATX versions, probably have a look at them (e.g. M5A78L-M LX V2, M5A78L-M LX PLUS, M5A78L-M LE,...)

• Thumbs Up 2

Awesome thanks guys, I'll look into that.

usage will be gaming, and some video/sound editing along with normal school work.

Price range is $200-300. The items that are needed are the CPU, MoBo, RAM, Case.

@Conker what are the reasons for a mATX vs ATX? I'm also looking at MSI 970A-G46 ATX b/c of the opportunity to SLI later on.

@Conker what are the reasons for a mATX vs ATX? I'm also looking at MSI 970A-G46 ATX b/c of the opportunity to SLI later on.

hmm...ok, if you want SLI then you should of course stick with an ATX Board, because almost all mATX motherboards have only one PCIEx16 slot.

What resolution does your monitor have? or at what resolution do you play games? Because if you have a graphics card with 1Gb vram I doubt SLI gives a satisfactory refresh rate gains, because the memory amount is the limiting factor. An upgrade to a more powerful model from AMD or Nvidia would make more sense in my eyes. If you would buy an AMD card, you could use the GTX 650 Ti Boost as PhysX card if you don't want to miss this proprietary feature from Nvidia.

Considering your budget, any aftermarket CPU coolers would be more beneficial than the stock but IMO not entirely necessary; could just use stock fan to save some $$$ and possibly upgrade something else. You should also try to upgrade the RAM to at least 8GB and the computer will run much smoother.

• 3 weeks later...

I veto OP for 4gb ram and a six core, as if he isn't playing some intense games while watching YouTube or tabbing to another game, 4gb of ram is usually more than enough. If you want to really compromise for price, decent FX, apu, or phenom 2 quad core (not really sure which ones am3+ supports). 3gb of ram is usually quite a decent amount for a smooth running system with medium requirements, as seen by the choice of video card and motherboard. A single chip of 2gb lasts a while too, with space for more upgrades and such. The stock cooler, as already said, is cool. All this should be able to result in more money to be able to be spent on something useful like a decent 2nd hard drive, better motherboard, or even SLI on the spot.

I would go with what you've got there but would, if I could stretch the budget out, Go for 8 gig of ram simply because windows loves ram (it is stated in the post some video/audio editing). Short of that I would spend every last cent on a second card to run in SLI. Sure the memory is a limiting factor but at 1080p resolution you will be better off with SLI in future as you already have one card (just place an order for the same card now to keep some in stock at your local retailer or get them to retain one for you for a minimal deposit I'm sure they will). So when the time comes to upgrade you have a place to go to get what you need.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...