Asus k53sv with pe4l pm060a first mod

the7arts

Hy ! i'am new here and for some time i have been studying the possibility of adding a eGPU to my current laptop . Although i understand most of the stuff i read hear, i will be very grateful if you guys can give me some advises on how to get everything running properly and how to tune my system .

[h=3][/h]

My laptop has the following configuration :

i7 2630qm

sandy bridge HM65

integrated HD3000 and 540m 2gb running with optimus

8gb Ram

180 intel SSD

1 . I don't have an express card slot , i ordered pe4l 2.1b pm060a and plan to take out my wi-fi card and use the mPCI-e slot , until here i think i made the right decision .

2 . I plan to get an gtx580 for the system , i mostly do 3d renders, cuda based computing, video editing , i saw that in 3d mark and game benchmark scaling isn't bad compared to desktop configuration, i hope the same applies for cuda and 3d rendering, what do you think ?

3 . i want to run it to an external monitor, i'm not interested in making it work with the internal monitor, so hope you can help me configure it to run only external ( maybe i'll get some performance boost also )

4 . from what i read i'll get the most performance by running a x1.2opt setup ( or maybe 1.3 now ) , that basically means that i have to disable dGPU ( gt540m ) using setup 1.x and runing optimus with the new card ? ( some details here would be great )

5 . what are the most important steps to do a basic x1.2opt setup ( ex : when do i start the eGPU ? what config do i have to run trough setup1.x ? is it necessary to do PCI compaction and why ? do i have to rearrange PCI order from setup1.x ? will i lose the functionality of other devices that use PCIe like the gigabit ethernet ) .

Hy ! i'am new here and for some time i have been studying the possibility of adding a eGPU to my current laptop . Although i understand most of the stuff i read hear, i will be very grateful if you guys can give me some advises on how to get everything running properly and how to tune my system .

[h=3][/h]

My laptop has the following configuration :

i7 2630qm

sandy bridge HM65

integrated HD3000 and 540m 2gb running with optimus

8gb Ram

180 intel SSD

1 . I don't have an express card slot , i ordered pe4l 2.1b pm060a and plan to take out my wi-fi card and use the mPCI-e slot , until here i think i made the right decision .

2 . I plan to get an gtx580 for the system , i mostly do 3d renders, cuda based computing, video editing , i saw that in 3d mark and game benchmark scaling isn't bad compared to desktop configuration, i hope the same applies for cuda and 3d rendering, what do you think ?

3 . i want to run it to an external monitor, i'm not interested in making it work with the internal monitor, so hope you can help me configure it to run only external ( maybe i'll get some performance boost also )

4 . from what i read i'll get the most performance by running a x1.2opt setup ( or maybe 1.3 now ) , that basically means that i have to disable dGPU ( gt540m ) using setup 1.x and runing optimus with the new card ? ( some details here would be great )

5 . what are the most important steps to do a basic x1.2opt setup ( ex : when do i start the eGPU ? what config do i have to run trough setup1.x ? is it necessary to do PCI compaction and why ? do i have to rearrange PCI order from setup1.x ? will i lose the functionality of other devices that use PCIe like the gigabit ethernet ) .

ASUS A53SV is already implemented at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-18.html#post30125 . Yes, you'd disable the GT540M using Setup 1.x. Doing so would enable the Optimus features to be used by your GTX580 eGPU, including the important x1 pci-e compression. Setup 1.x is very easy to use once installed. No functionality of other pci-e devices would be lost. A sample of how the dGPU would be disabled and compaction of the eGPU performed is shown in the videos at these posts: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html#post27337 and http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x-4.html#post78919 .

Thank you very much for your replay ! can you leave me your email address so we can talk about how do i get setup1.3 ? (or send me a private message with your address, i can't send you private message here because i don't have yet 5 posts, thank you )

Thank you very much for your replay ! can you leave me your email address so we can talk about how do i get setup1.3 ? (or send me a private message with your address, i can't send you private message here because i don't have yet 5 posts, thank you )

No probs. Full details of how to obtain it inc my email address is shown at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html#post27337 .

• 2 weeks later...

The eGPU is up an running but i have one problem, i have tested the system with 2 different 9500gt cards and works perfectly, alsto tested with EVGA gtx580 ftw hydro 2 and works great , but with an asus gtx 580 direct CU II it doesn't detect it , any ideas ?

Today i did some testing, i started realizing that the gtx580 directCU doesn't get detected because it can't run in x1 mode, so to test my theory i took my desktop computer and pluged the evga and the assus gtx580 but before i tapped the pins on the boards to trick the mainboard in x1 mode, also i short the pins 1a an17b on the mainboard to set the lanewidth detect. Soooo the evga 580 runs without any problems and gpu z confirms that the board is runing in x1 mode, but the assus gtx580 direct CUii doesn't get detected and the mainboard gives some POST errors then boots into windows but my monitor is black, so the board can't run in X1 mode .

I tried flashing the bios from another manufacturer but still no luck . Any ideas on how to make the board run in X1 mode ?

Problem solved, fore some reason for the gpu to start it wanted some data transmission lines to work, those lines where out of the x1 connector, so to trick the board i sent some dummy signal trough the pins and voila now it works perfectly . initially i thought that it wanted all the ground pins that where out of the x1 connector of the pe4l 2.1b to be grounded , but as it turns out that wasn't the case, just two wires soldered and some signals and now it works great . first test stock speed in 3d mark 11 -5900 pts

• 4 months later...

Hello,

New user here!

After reading a couple of days now about how nice it will be to gain access to an external graphic card for my laptop,i decided to give it a try but before i rush and purchase the items plus a buff graphic card i got some questions regarding technical issues:

Laptop model is Asus K53SC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Type Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-2670QM, 2800 MHz (28 x 100)

Motherboard Name Asus K53SC Series Notebook

Motherboard Chipset Intel Cougar Point HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge

BIOS Type AMI (09/26/2011)

Video Adapter Intel® HD Graphics 3000 (1854822 KB)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX (1 GB)

Network Adapter Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 100 (192.168.0.100)

Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2

IDE Controller Intel ® Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I don't have an expresscard slot ,i made the same decision as the user the7arts proposed: to take out my wi-fi card and use the mPCI-e slot so is this what i need PE4L-PM060A ?http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4L%20V2.1.html

2. I will like to connect 3 monitors. Any suggestions/advise on the adapters that i will need to use in order to achieve this ?

3. System Memory 4006 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM - Right now ) I read somewhere that this particular Asus laptop is limited just for 8000 Mb / 8 Gb some people claim to have upgraded it to 16 Gb! Any adivse or i should just plug 2 8 Gb in and just see if this is true ?

So please if you have any ideas or suggestions for this question i'll appreciate them! Thanks

• 1 year later...

To >>> the7arts

Hello! I'm new here, and I have similar problem with my MSI GTX 970 4G video card, it isn't recognized by my system at all (I'm using PE4C V3.0 + DIY eGPU Setup 1.30). So, I have a question for you, how did you managed to send signal to video card? I want to try that trick with my card.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.