[THUNDERBOLT NEWS] Silverstone T004... Now the ASUS XG2

Jamie1986

Good find Jamie.

I submitted the TomsHardware article after finding it yesterday to Anandtech, ArsTechnica and TheVerge with a hope that one of them might write this up.

The problem is that these product managers seem to be poor problem solvers:

- Get Intel to sign it off for Thunderbolt 2.0 by certification for using one of their 'approved' purposes i.e. Certification for one of those professional camera interface cards. Also stress on the product web page that it is strictly only for supported PCIe cards and any use of unsupported cards is at the consumers risk as it is not intended for this.

- Start selling it and 'leak' it to forums that it also works for standard consumer video cards.

- Profit.

"Gigabyte hopes to get something working by Computex"... yeah, right, more waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

"We were told that Asus is working further on enable Apple/Mac support, but there are presently no guarantees".

No shit. I would actually bet a million dollar that Apple will never help to make an eGPU solution working on their products. It goes totally against the core of their philosophy of integrating everything and making things obsolete in less than 2 years, so you have to buy new.

I bet we will see no eGPU solution this year either. Seems like a total deja vu from last year.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I have contacted SilverStone Technology and asked them about the status of this project, after I told them how excited we are about it.

Unfortunately the response was the one we all expected but hoped to not be true.

"Currently the development on the external Thunderbolt GPU box is on hold due to licensing issues.."

"..we're forbidden to sell this product because Intel doesn't allow it or support it.."

and about the involvement of ASUS

"...we were trying to resolve the licensing issue with Intel by co-branding with Asus. However, Intel seemed to postpone this project indefinitely for the moment.."

At this point we all know that waiting is useless, I write this to ask you if maybe we could start a petition or a kickstarter campaign, anything?

I think we can create a precedent and things might change in the long run

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone,

I have contacted SilverStone Technology and asked them about the status of this project, after I told them how excited we are about it.

Unfortunately the response was the one we all expected but hoped to not be true.

"Currently the development on the external Thunderbolt GPU box is on hold due to licensing issues.."

"..we're forbidden to sell this product because Intel doesn't allow it or support it.."

and about the involvement of ASUS

"...we were trying to resolve the licensing issue with Intel by co-branding with Asus. However, Intel seemed to postpone this project indefinitely for the moment.."

At this point we all know that waiting is useless, I write this to ask you if maybe we could start a petition or a kickstarter campaign, anything?

I think we can create a precedent and things might change in the long run

I have begun a pettion at change.org. Here's the URL: https://www.change.org/petitions/intel-allow-silverstone-and-asus-to-sell-the-asus-sg-station-2#share

• 2 weeks later...

The same situation for the new "G4" devices of Village Instruments (ViDocks)... their Thunderbolt-device also has not passed the Intel certification process. ^^

I found another Thunderbolt solution... called nanoCUBE. Unfortunately this device is quiet expensive with $435 (incl. case) but it seems to be available.

• 6 months later...

man I have signed the petition you made months back, now it only needs 3 signatures more to reach 200 sigs!

will this bring change really? can this petition be taken seriously by Intel?

• 2 weeks later...