EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
emregezgin

ssd + Hd in ultrabay vs msata ssd + hd in regular bay

Just got my new lenovo y510p and i really need an ssd in it..

It has 1 regular 2.5" hd bay, one msata bay and 1 ultra bay..

I got a 120gb samsung 830 ssd (from my old laptop) and the problem is that its too small so thats why i need that + the 1tb harddisk at the same time..

My question is, will the 1tb harddisk work slower in an ultrabay/sata dock that fits in insted of the dvd drive? (in other words, should i go and buy a msata ssd and use that so the 1tb hd can stay in its normal bay) or should i save some money and move my 1tb hd to the ultra bay and install my normal 2.5" ssd inside??

What would you do??

Personally I have a normal 2.5" SSD inside (Intel 520 Series 60GB - shoulda got the 120GB), and a 1TB drive in my multibay. Sadly I do not have a mSATA slot or I would have a mSATA SSD in there as well for random programs / games. I like only keeping certain things on my OS drive.

I'd still keep my OS drive as a 2.5" SSD due to size / speed. Unless I had a computer with a M.2 slot wired PCIe, those things are absurdly fast (due to PCIe communication over the much slower SATA connection).

So: 2.5" SSD + data drive in multibay.

SATA speed might vary in the multibay. But don't be overly concerned about it.

Pic of CrystalDiskInfo (kinda big):

fRY4Aio.png

Just got my new lenovo y510p and i really need an ssd in it..

It has 1 regular 2.5" hd bay, one msata bay and 1 ultra bay..

I got a 120gb samsung 830 ssd (from my old laptop) and the problem is that its too small so thats why i need that + the 1tb harddisk at the same time..

My question is, will the 1tb harddisk work slower in an ultrabay/sata dock that fits in insted of the dvd drive? (in other words, should i go and buy a msata ssd and use that so the 1tb hd can stay in its normal bay) or should i save some money and move my 1tb hd to the ultra bay and install my normal 2.5" ssd inside??

What would you do??

It would be better if you can tell us which SATA ports it has. I will try through guess work.

Even if the ultra bay port is sata 1, it has 150 MB/s max transfer speed which your hdd wont even reach. On the other hand, the port where your hdd sat is most likely sata 2 which has a max transfer speed of 300MB/s which would probably result in less performance from your ssd as samsung claims that it can reach speeds of 520MB/s. Your msata slot is most likely SATA 3 but it could also be SATA 2 (unlikely but we cant be certain). If it is SATA 3, it would benefit you the most to put an msata ssd in this one.

It would be better if you can tell us which SATA ports it has. I will try through guess work.

Even if the ultra bay port is sata 1, it has 150 MB/s max transfer speed which your hdd wont even reach. On the other hand, the port where your hdd sat is most likely sata 2 which has a max transfer speed of 300MB/s which would probably result in less performance from your ssd as samsung claims that it can reach speeds of 520MB/s. Your msata slot is most likely SATA 3 but it could also be SATA 2 (unlikely but we cant be certain). If it is SATA 3, it would benefit you the most to put an msata ssd in this one.

Ah true. I looked around to see the SATA speed for the Y510P, I only came across this:

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Question. - Lenovo Community

@emregezgin, could you run CrystalDiskInfo to see the SATA speed of the drive currently in your system?

Look at the Transfer Mode section.

Ah true. I looked around to see the SATA speed for the Y510P, I only came across this:

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Question. - Lenovo Community

@emregezgin, could you run CrystalDiskInfo to see the SATA speed of the drive currently in your system?

Look at the Transfer Mode section.

Does crystal disk info tell you if there is an msata port that isnt being used?

I will try to use it tomorrow.. Both speccy and crystal disk info..

I dont need to put a harddrive in to run a test right? Because right now its just a dvd drive.. but that should not change the resault right?

I will try to use it tomorrow.. Both speccy and crystal disk info..

I dont need to put a harddrive in to run a test right? Because right now its just a dvd drive.. but that should not change the resault right?

No, it will just tell you which ports are SATA I , II or III.

i cant see the msata port speed.. I tried both Crystaldiskinfo and speccy..

But primary sata port is sata3.. so i will use my 120gb ssd and install the 1tb in the ultrabay..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ReverseEffect
      3dMark11 Performance Preset Benchmark: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11262792

Required items:
      1.) Lenovo u310 (I have a Core i3 - Ivy Bridge, 8GB RAM)
      2.) 65CN99WW unwhitelisted.
      3.) eGPU (I used a EVGA GTX 750 Ti from another computer I had).
      4.) EXP GDC mPCIe Edition adapter (got from eBay - banggood seller).
      5.) ATX power supply (I used a 600W PSU from another computer I had).
      6.) USB wireless.
      7.) External monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Steps:
      1.) Obtain and install a unwhitelisted BIOS. If you are unable to obtain a unwhitelist BIOS, I think it might be possible to bypass it with Tech Inferno Fan's Setup 1.x (may need confirmation as I haven't used it myself yet.)
      2.) Shutdown computer and remove all USB devices, ethernet cables, power cables, card reader cards.
      3.) Remove mPCIe wireless card and detach antennas.

4.) Attach EXP GDC external mPCIe cable to the former wireless slot and screw down.

5.) Attach HDMI end of the mPCIe cable adapter to the EXP GDC device.

6.) Attach graphics card to the EXP GDC device (I moved my laptop off the desk and onto the side shelf to make room on the desk for the monitor/keyboard/mouse).

7.) Using the power cable adapters that came with the EXP GDC device, I hooked in my ATX power supply's 20 pin and CPU 4 pin cables. Then hooked the other end (8 pin) into the EXP GDC device. My EVGA 750 Ti also required that I use an additional PCIe power cable (6 pin) in the top of the card.

8.) Then I attached my misc devices (HDMI monitor, USB keyboard/mouse/wireless adapter), and hooked in my PSU and powered it on (below is image of final product, also moved HDMI cable out of the way).

9.) Power on your computer and let it install the standard VGA drivers and then install your drivers (I didn't have to go in the BIOS for any graphics settings, which it doesn't have anyways, nor did I have to disable iGPU in Device Manager before the card was added).

Extra Info:
      I found that most games will play on med settings with about 45 FPS with this particular card.
      BDO: Upscale on - Anti Aliasing on - SSAO off - med settings.
      Skyrim: Med-High settings.
      Fallout 4: Med settings.

(EDIT 5/19/2016) > Images added.

• By Klem
      If someone wants upgrade Wi-Fi card and remove witelist, or unlock hidden additional menus and settings, or unlocked vbios for overclock NVIDIA card, then you can post your request in this thread.

It's for Lenovo Z710, Z510 only!
    • By Andrew2009
      Please could you check if it is possible to unlock my A17 BIOS? I have Alienware 17 R5(2013). 120 Ghz 3D. gtx 980 m. I want upgrade to 1070 but I have dark picture. Turns on but does not start with 1070. 980m-All good. What could it be?
    • By IveGotRoot
      I have recently upgraded my laptop(an M6800 firepro 6100) and replaced it with an GTX 980m. Nvidia says that the latest driver(461) supports my card but i can only install up to 388.13 Ive tried to mod it but i can't figure it out. I can run the latest linux driver tho
    • By thinkdad
      Hi,

I need help in fixing my Thinkpad.

I just got a T440p yesterday. It was working perfectly until the following:

I reinstalled Windows and then I installed Vantage.

I installed all the latest drivers.
      I also choose to install the bios update. The bios update ran in Windows and it asked me to restart. After restarting, the screen was blank. I tried powering it off and on and I saw the Thinkpad logo but after that the screen was blank.

I tried powering on and off again and there's no Thinkpad logo now and the screen is just blank with the green power on. No sound, no nothing.

Here's what I tried:
      Pressing the power button 10 times and then holding it for 30 seconds. Unplugged and battery is detachted Detached the CMOS battery and the reattached it Removed the ram, harddisk and optical disk drive. Attached the battery and inserted the charger. I turned it on and there was a couple of beeps Tried pressing FN+R and created a bootable USB I'd like to ask: How do I fix this? What do I need to do?
      Can I reflash the bios in some other way? Do I need to buy a new motherboard? Will this solve the issue? It's my first thinkpad and I'm really excited but I was bummed out that this happened. Can you please help me?

Thanks in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.