Proposed SandyBridge Gamer

rickss69

I have been conducting tests for the past week or so on components for this build and have pretty much settled on this configuration:

Biostar TP67B+ mb

Intel 2600K cpu

Sapphire 5970 gpu

The Biostar mb has all the features I need and there are no glitches in the bios like the Asus models have. I tested two 5970's in cross-fire but decided it was overkill and not needed for my purposes. I flashed the 5970 bios to 950/1200 clocks and the results were outstanding. I will be cooling the cpu with a Boreas TEC and may include the 5970 in the loop if for nothing else than to rid myself of the fan noise. I have a custom LianLi case inbound and due this morning that may house these parts. I will update this thread as the build progresses.

Newegg.com - LIAN LI PC-P50WB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

BiostarTP67B004.jpg

1155gamer005.jpg

3D11-proposedgamer1card.jpg

singlecard-BOs.jpg

singlecard-COD4.jpg

singlecard-FEAR.jpg

• Founder

That's a beast of a system. I love lian li cases too, I had a silver one that I modded from the top (built a custom grill up + dual fan rad to exhaust heat and a reservoir cut out as well). How is the pump holding up for the Boreas? I heard they've been prone to problems. Once you get that system built up, a nice forum review would be awesome! Speaking of which, we need to create a forum specifically for custom desktop build reviews + pics.

wow (2x5970) that's a hell of a system you got there, keep it coming man!

btw what drivers are you using for the GPU? If I can see clearly from the GPU-Z 10.10? if yes then give it a try with the 11.2

Yes. 10.10 - The 5970 is picky about drivers for some reason. I will continue to upgrade as I go.

That's a beast of a system. I love lian li cases too, I had a silver one that I modded from the top (built a custom grill up + dual fan rad to exhaust heat and a reservoir cut out as well). How is the pump holding up for the Boreas? I heard they've been prone to problems. Once you get that system built up, a nice forum review would be awesome! Speaking of which, we need to create a forum specifically for custom desktop build reviews + pics.

This particular case is one I won in a contest at Coolit and has been customized. I will see what they did sometime today. I have four Boreas's with pumps ranging from stock to aftermarket, but I have experienced no failures as of yet. Great idea for a build section as I was confused where to post this.

• Founder

That's a pretty sweet price you got. Good to hear about those pumps, it was on another forum I read about it so I figured it may have just been anecdotal evidence. BTW new subforums were made, let me know what you think.

The LianLi case finally arrived and I loosely fitted the parts together for a trial spin. Along with the case Coolit sent me a couple of extra parts...a Vantage cpu cooler and a Omni gpu cooler. The Omni has a 5870 backplate so I will not be using that here. I had intended to use a Boreas TEC in this rig until I saw the Vantage unit... I decided to give it a chance. So far these are the parts installed:

LianLi PC-P50 case

Biostar TP67B+ mb

Intel 2600K cpu

4GB GSkill DDR3 2000

Silverstone Decathalon 1000w psu

Coolit Vantage cpu cooler

Lite-On DVD burner

Sapphire 5970 gpu

WD 1TB hdd

SuperTalent 32GB ssd

Silverstone HDDBoost

Creative X-Fi sound card

LianLigamer001.jpg

LianLigamer003.jpg

LianLigamer004.jpg

LianLigamer005.jpg

The Omni gpu cooler which will not be used here...

LianLigamer008.jpg

If I intend to use the Vantage unit I will have to do some surgery to the top panel so it will fit around the rad/fans...

LianLigamer007.jpg

I was skeptical of the Vantage cooler at first, but after some online gaming and benchmarks at 4.5GHz I was impressed with the little unit's performance. I'm thinking I will roll with it for this gamer.

newgamer-1.jpg

LianLigamer-Vantage.jpg

• Founder

Those are some awesome vantage scores. That lian li case is pretty sweet looking too. The CPU temperatures are shockingly good considering how small the Vantage radiator is and the clocks you have the CPU at. Are you going to replace it with the TEC unit or stick to this WC setup? I'm looking forward to seeing the final build and accompanying pics + benches.

• Founder

Sweet!!! I wish I could maintain half of your CPU's multiplier on my laptop during prime95... LOL

As a side note, wouldn't you be better off without the HDDboost? I mean use the SSD for the OS and the most frequently used apps and the HDD for storage? Do you see any gains by using it?

I will most likely just keep the Vantage cooler in this one...it's doing such a good job on it's own.

LianLimemory.jpg

I have found that the HDDBoost most often results in quicker boot times and general overall snappiness compared to using the ssd alone.

• Founder

Interesting... I thought that due to the overhead and the extra layer added (slower access times), it would make it a bit slower than a seperate SSD but a lot faster than a single HDD with the gain of the extra space.

• Founder

I found old pics of my lian li watercooled system w/custom reservoir etc from 3 years back. I don't have the case anymore but I'll put up the pics later tonight, it still looks good after all this time.