16F1 + GTX 675M stuck at PCIe 1.1

Bugii

Hello,

I've run into a problem, hping someone would have any idea what to try...

basically some time ago I've upgraded GT660R (16F1) machine with a GTX 675M card.

Card is working but its not fully utilized. At first I thought it was i5 CPU bottleneck but I have noticed its running at PCIe 1 all the time.

Even when stressed (both game and gpu-z render test) shows the card runs at PCIe v1.1 x16

When idle, it drops to PCIe v1.1 x1

The card never reaches more than 70-80% load and CPU is not stressed.

Any ideas why ? In other laptop the card runs at PCIe v2.0 x16 and load goes up to 99%

Accordng to intel - 1st gen i5 460M should support PCIe v2.0

Mobo has HM55 chipset I think.

Tried reseating the card, flashing different vbios and bios, completely reinstall system.

v1.1 x16 shouldn't be bottlenecking the card, but yes 2.0 should be working. Games can be CPU limited even if the device manager is not reporting high CPU utilization.

This will not improve performance at all, but turning off pci-e link state management in control panel->power options-> "change advanced power settings" should make the link never drop below x16, and maybe even get 2.0 running.

Your problem is a weak CPU, not pci-e. Also you have a very power hungry GPU, so maybe it's overheating.

Well I've tried many games and benchmarks.. even the "render test" in gpu-z wont get the card loaded more than 80% and CPU is literally idle.

Maximum temperature I've seen on the card in this laptop was ~75°C (I know the card can get up to 86 when running at full load, but thats the problem, it wont get higher than 80% load ever.)

150W acad - the card was running @pcie2 using the same 150W acad in a different laptop (MSI 1761)

I do admit CPU is quite weak, but I cant believe it will behave this way if it was bottleneck...

I will try the "trick" in control panel tonight...

Hmm this is weird since synthetic stuff like gpu-z shouldn't be cpu dependent. I clocked my cpu down to 1.5ghz and still had 98% gpu utilization in the gpu-z test.

I assume that fps is low as well?

Well, ..define "LOW" ...

it's 80% of what it could be :D

By that, I mean that the same card runs at full load and performs better in different laptop.

That different laptop is MSI 1761.

This one (16F1) has HM55 compared to HM67 chipset.

It has 1st gen i5 @2.9GHz compared to 2nd gen [email protected]

Same amount of ram tested in both, raid0 in both.

So yes, the overall config is slightly worse, it's just... the CPU is not stressed at all so it shouldnt be a bottleneck.

The only difference I see is that it runs at PCIe 1.1 copared to PCIe 2.0

So I was wondering if THIS can cause the card not to get 100% load.

So let me ask the question in a different way:

Can PCIe 1.1 cause that the GPU is not fully utilized comparing to the same card running PCIe 2.0 ?

HM55 and i5 should support PCIe 2.0 so I don't know... maybe its defective mobo or CPU.

Maybe it's the "PCIe slot" itself...

I will try GTX 770m in 16f1 when I got the chance...

When the card is running at idle (desktop) it should be running at 1.1, when opening 3d application or games it will automatically\force to run at 2.0.

Well, thats the problem here, it will not.

- - - Updated - - -

No, PCI-E 1.1 will not cause the card to not run 100% load. You will have a hard time finding anything that results in even a 1% performance drop in 1.1 vs 2.0.

Okay, so the problem is elsewhere...

Thank you anyway guys.

I'd recommend (in this order)

reflash last bios

Install intel INF

and Management engine drivers

Make sure you check the power profiles for Windows (there is a selctive GPU setting inthere/ and or NVIDIA's own power saving check...i have 7970M so i can't tell you where exactly you might find the option to disable power saving)

hit us back if issue still persisting

Well, thats the problem here, it will not.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so the problem is elsewhere...

Thank you anyway guys.

I'm thinking that the reason you are never hitting 2.0 is because the utilization never gets high enough for the driver to decide to double the PCI-E speed, so once you figure out why your utilization is low, I think you'll get pci-e 2.0 working as well.

I'm thinking that the reason you are never hitting 2.0 is because the utilization never gets high enough for the driver to decide to double the PCI-E speed, so once you figure out why your utilization is low, I think you'll get pci-e 2.0 working as well.

Hmm, this is actually very clever!

I will try somehow...

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
2.0 on 1st core i is available only on quad cpu not i5/i3/ pentium

Can I have a link ?

Or where did you find this out ?

I've looked at ark.intel.com and couldnt find anything like this.

It does actually make sense.. So that's one mystery solved...

• 3 weeks later...

known from personal testing on i3-380m and 920xm

that's strange... because intel says even 380m has PCIe rev. 2.0 [url=http://ark.intel.com/products/50178/Intel-Core-i3-380M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_53-GHz]ARK | Intel® Core[/url]

PCI Express Revision

PCI Express Configurations 1x16
Max # of PCI Express Lanes 16

May the motherboard be the limit ? I think northbridge is in cpu..so it shouldnt be a mobo issue, however im not sure if first gen. i-Cores features northbridge as well.

Anyway, since you tested and it didnt work, I guess intel is listing wrong data...

I'll try i7 then.

Thank you.

Yes i know that every Core I 1gen should have 2.0 pci-e in CPU but not - maybe it's connected with missing iGPU in quad cpu ?

Also according to eGPU users NB use only pcie 1.1 not 2.0 - sandy bridge cpu (mean 2gen cpu core i) have 2.0 pci-e in NB

also 2.0 don't help in any way :) it's more bandwidth that's for gaming isn't really necessary