Looks like a meaningless annual refresh. 20nm is still several months out.

At least it will drop 780m prices.

I'm looking for something that's 2x the performance of the 680m and plan on going with whatever that card is in SLI (980m perhaps - 20nm Maxwell?).

I'm just surprised nVidia decided to release the 880m as a third time around rebrand. Curious to see what the 128-bit lineup will be.

Granted I also plan on moving this year as well as taking my kids to Disney next year, so this whole desire may not fit in my plans. :P

I was hoping for GK110, but I guess they won't do such a thing again after the 480m... :D

880m makes absolutely zero sense at this time, but looking back at Fermi it seems that this is the way it works nowadays... 485m -> 580m -> 675m. Heck, they even sold at least one Fermi chip named as 700 series.

This situation is similar, Nvidia is just milking the cow, even worse than AMD. There was no reason to wait one year for the 780m, the could have done that from the very start.

Now if they released a GK110 based mobile card, say with 10SMX, that would have been an impressive move. But this 8 GB version of the 780m makes no sense at all. Every 780m can handle the increased clocks easily 24/7.

EDIT: Btw., 8GB will overclock worse than 4GB. Especially if they stay with Elpida, hahaha

• Thumbs Up 2

I was hoping for GK110, but I guess they won't do such a thing again after the 480m... :D

880m makes absolutely zero sense at this time, but looking back at Fermi it seems that this is the way it works nowadays... 485m -> 580m -> 675m. Heck, they even sold at least one Fermi chip named as 700 series.

This situation is similar, Nvidia is just milking the cow, even worse than AMD. There was no reason to wait one year for the 780m, the could have done that from the very start.

Now if they released a GK110 based mobile card, say with 10SMX, that would have been an impressive move. But this 8 GB version of the 780m makes no sense at all. Every 780m can handle the increased clocks easily 24/7.

EDIT: Btw., 8GB will overclock worse than 4GB. Especially if they stay with Elpida, hahaha

Can you explain why an 8gb card will overclock worse than a 4gb one? I think you are right about the memory, I dont know any game which uses above 2.5gb vram on a single 1080p screen and I really doubt whether these things are powerful enough for 4k. Unless you count modded skyrim.

The memory will overclock worse, in general high-density chips overclock worse than such with lower capacity.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I wonder what AMD has planned for the top card in the annual marketing refresh? Do you think there's any chance that they'll put a tahiti on a mobile card? I think it could be done with a substantial voltage and clock drop to get thermals down to say 580m levels, but I don't think they'll put such a big expensive die on a mobile card, especially since nvidia did the marketing BS of putting 8GB on a card, so AMD will have to waste money doing the same or else people who don't know better will get the nvidia since it has more memory.

It'd be a hell of a fun card though :)

Well, I dunno, I once read about an R9 M290X, but that seemed to be a renamed 8970m. Thaiti surely would be a lot of fun, I was hoping for a mobil GK110 from Nvidia.... but noooo. I guess it won't happen from team red either. :( AMD didn't never push any current / last gen mobile card except the 8970m / 7970m... even though the 7870m would have made a great MXM card.

AMD didn't never push any current / last gen mobile card except the 8970m / 7970m... even though the 7870m would have made a great MXM card.
Could you explain that last part about making a great MXM card? Isn't it already MXM (and I assume you meant 7970M instead of 7870M)?

Well 20nm seems unlikely to be out until the 2nd half of 2014, so maybe we will get a big chip on a mobile card. There has been no significant improvement since the 7970m released in may 2012...

Could you explain that last part about making a great MXM card? Isn't it already MXM (and I assume you meant 7970M instead of 7870M)?

The 7870M was never actually released. It would have been great as it would have been an ideal compromise between power consumption and performance. If I remember correctly, Samsung was the only manufacturer that used that chip in one of their notebooks.

The 7870M was never actually released. It would have been great as it would have been an ideal compromise between power consumption and performance. If I remember correctly, Samsung was the only manufacturer that used that chip in one of their notebooks.

Interesting, thanks.

Can you explain why an 8gb card will overclock worse than a 4gb one? I think you are right about the memory, I dont know any game which uses above 2.5gb vram on a single 1080p screen and I really doubt whether these things are powerful enough for 4k. Unless you count modded skyrim.

A greater probability of one of the memory chips not being able to handle the overclock, as all the chips will have to run only as fast as the slowest one can go. The more chips you have the greater the chance of having one included that won't overclock well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Darn i was really hoping that this card would be more impressive than a refresh. nvidia keeps teasing Maxwell but so far they aren't delivering the hype

for two months show Refreshed Clevo models, as it is known will also 880M, maybe also will update cooling? , Maybe Memory Cooling By the way will be on the other side of the PCB, that was a big surprise for pushing their clocks

I saw how it looks ES :peaceful: first looks = OEM product :acne:

is the OEM look and will not be cooling the bones of VRAM on the other side hmmmm SLI+XM look interesting

Maybe I shoulda skipped the SLI'ed 765's after all... I'm shooting for at least a ten-year service life on my P370SM (Sager NP9380) with two projected mid-life rebuild/upgrades assuming parts are still available that far out.

Hmmm... been slobbering over this since I first spotted it a couple days ago. Starting to wonder if I shoulda skipped the 2x 765M SLI upgrade...

A grand each for an i7-4940MX and two of these... figuring out how to afford it all is really gonna suck.

Maybe I shoulda skipped the SLI'ed 765's after all... I'm shooting for at least a ten-year service life on my P370SM (Sager NP9380) with two projected mid-life rebuild/upgrades assuming parts are still available that far out.

Hmmm... been slobbering over this since I first spotted it a couple days ago. Starting to wonder if I shoulda skipped the 2x 765M SLI upgrade...

A grand each for an i7-4940MX and two of these... figuring out how to afford it all is really gonna suck.

Considering that 20nm Maxwell is likely going to be coming out towards the end of this year why don't you wait for 20nm. It could give you almost twice the performance of a similar 28nm part. Then upgrade again sometime during the backend of Volta perhaps in about 3-4yrs from now. Haha, long range plans, ok, maybe it's a bit hard to predict 4yrs down the line!

The 4930mx costs so much that I'd go with a P370EM for a $400 3920xm instead. Just as fast CPU wise, but no 780m support (680m is close though). The P370SM has better cooling, but with the cash saved you can buy that separately and still have over $500 in savings.

• Thumbs Up 1