Having trouble cloning my y510p hdd to Intel 520

sullyman86

Hey Everyone,

I am having trouble cloning my y510p drive to my new ssd. i a trying to use the intel data migration tool to accomplish this. I have the intle 520 240gb ssd in an external usb 3.0 housing, and the intel migration tool sees the drive. WHen i start the clone process it requires a reboot. I reboot and i have to hit f12 to go to the bootloader and select acronis image from there(required if you have an EFI bios). THe probllem is after it starts the acronis image it just says operation failed but i am not sure why? could this have something to do with the ssd being in an external usb housing?

i have tried Paragon pro demo--would not start the disk clone or os migrate process. kept receiving error. Intel data migration fails upon reboot. i go to boot menu, boot to acronis and then it fails. i got aomei to do a disk clone, but the ssd will not boot. I am at a loss as to getting this done. I have never worked with win 8 or this EFI serial key built into the bios.

I haven't used those software tools in quite some time. What I started doing is using something called a "toaster" which is a drive cloning device. You put both the drive you want to copy and the new drive in the device and it makes a clone. The new drive needs to have enough space in it to hold the old drive. For me this has worked perfectly several times. Toasters are pretty cheap. This is the drive toaster that I have. It isn't the best toaster that I've used, but the reviews of this particular one on Newegg aren't deserving.

I don't like using the cloning software because I've had the same issues that you're having. It can also be a bit complicated and I've just never liked the way that it's done. As I remember you also need to use software and reboot to a dos program to finish the job. I like the toaster because you just pop in both drives (like toast :D) and push the start button. Seems faster too! (especially if you're using USB 2 /gag)

I can't offer much help with the software. You might have better luck on a non laptop specific forum like Anandtech if you still want to go the software route. There are a lot of existing threads somewhere out there on issues like this.

Best of luck Sully!

Thanks kwaz. I really wish Lenovo didn't lock this stuff down. Its madening.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

This in particular actually has nothing to do with Lenovo. Every computer is like this.

I forgot to mentioned that one thing you might be able to do is go into the bios and turn off secure boot. That might be causing some issues now that I think about it.

In fact, it looks like there are some issues. Check it

I actually did turn off secure boot and put it in legacy mode. I kept getting an atheros boot loop. Quick question, if I were to get my hands on a windows 8 or 8.1 iso or install disk could I install windows 8 fresh and would the bios automatically recognize the serial for it?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

ok, so after 3 failed attempts at making my windows 7 ultimate ISO bootable on my windows 8 lenovo i finally gave my wife's windows7 laptop a try. Her laptop made it bootable first try. YES! So for now i am running my intel 520 240gb ssd in the y510p with windows 7 ultimate. I will stay away from windows 8 for a bit longer. Thanks for your help Kwaz!