Benefits of running A08 unlocked vs A05

derdy

I have an M14xR1 w/ gt555M here. Trying to get it running as fast as possible with zero reliability issues. I have determined the RAM is bad as I constantly have issues with file extractions and Windows Memory Diagnostic reveals errors, also Memtest86 reports errors. It hast he standard 4GB Micron 1333mhz RAM across two slots.

Which BIOS would be better for this laptop? I've ordered up some new RAM to see how it goes. Thanks

I have an M14xR1 w/ gt555M here. Trying to get it running as fast as possible with zero reliability issues. I have determined the RAM is bad as I constantly have issues with file extractions and Windows Memory Diagnostic reveals errors, also Memtest86 reports errors. It hast he standard 4GB Micron 1333mhz RAM across two slots.

Which BIOS would be better for this laptop? I've ordered up some new RAM to see how it goes. Thanks

Hi, I have 16GB HyperX 1600Mhz Ram, Win 8.1 and Evo Samsung 500gb ssd, with bios A05, and all I works well, the only problem is that when you start R1 takes about 1 minute, but then everything is fast and no bsod and freeze.

Ciao :Banane49:

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, 1 minute is long for an EVO. My son's EVO is about 8-12 to login and 3 seconds to full functionality. I find that enabling the "Rapid" mode in Samsung Magician no faster loading. Of course, he is only 6 and uses his for gaming only, unbloated.

FWIW, I personally run a Toshiba SSD on a unmodded A08 Bios (Sata II) with about 20-25 seconds tops with 94 processes.

• 3 months later...
IMHO, 1 minute is long for an EVO. My son's EVO is about 8-12 to login and 3 seconds to full functionality. I find that enabling the "Rapid" mode in Samsung Magician no faster loading. Of course, he is only 6 and uses his for gaming only, unbloated.

FWIW, I personally run a Toshiba SSD on a unmodded A08 Bios (Sata II) with about 20-25 seconds tops with 94 processes.

I do not know what might have happened, but after upgrading to 8.1 Update1 win, M14XR1 starts in 8 seconds, now with the A08 Bios Mod, I no longer have any kind of problem.

Ciao :joyous:

- - - Updated - - -

can't boot up with A05 with a Samsung ssd, don't know why

I with evo 500gb, I've never had any problems with bios, it A05/A08 with original Dell, and even with A08 Mod

Do you use Win7 or Win8?

ciao :)

No complaints guys but I may be misunderstanding this 5 posts thing? I have been trying to get my five posts together and now have those 5 posts and am wondering when I am going to get the upgrade in order so I might be able to get the bios fix for my m14xr1? I guess I am having some of the same issues with the A08 bios intel rst is showing 3gbs and under the a05 I could not get my GT555m to stop yellow triangling or to get it to work. Any help or insight would help out I am just trying to use this for work and the faster it loads the faster I can get to doing my job. Like I said not complaining but I would like a clarification on the 5 posts or 5 quality posts as there are two statements on the site and like I said I do have 5 post well now 6?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No complaints guys but I may be misunderstanding this 5 posts thing? I have been trying to get my five posts together and now have those 5 posts and am wondering when I am going to get the upgrade in order so I might be able to get the bios fix for my m14xr1? I guess I am having some of the same issues with the A08 bios intel rst is showing 3gbs and under the a05 I could not get my GT555m to stop yellow triangling or to get it to work. Any help or insight would help out I am just trying to use this for work and the faster it loads the faster I can get to doing my job. Like I said not complaining but I would like a clarification on the 5 posts or 5 quality posts as there are two statements on the site and like I said I do have 5 post well now 6?

I'm having the same problem. It's rather frustrating. In the meantime I've settled running the stock A08 bios just to keep Nvidia happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just out of curiosity, can the M14X R1 run 16gb of ram?

I've been checking out some forums that states that the R1 can only handle 8gb of ram.

Even so, will 16gb of ram have a significant impact on performance over 8gb?

actually amount of ram has nothing to do with performance unless you run out of ram with your usage patterns. Ram speed and ram timings are the real deciding factor on perfomance. So it is up to you if you really need like 2gb,4gb,8gb,16gb or 32gb or any combo between.

on the market most go for minimum of 1333mhz but there are great benefits going to 1600,1866 or 2133mhz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...