mSata SSD with Y510p

kaster

Hi guys,

I got my Y510p recently and wanted to swap that 24gb msata driver that come with the laptop with bigger one. did anyone had luck swapping it for higher capacity drive? Lenovo claims that this laptop can't use higher capacity drive.

Thanks

My 510p doesn't have the msata connector thanks to Lenovo's brilliant decision to completely remove it on 510p models that don't come pre-installed with such a drive. However I don't see any reason a larger capacity drive wouldn't work. Here's a fellow on Youtube that installed a 60gb msata drive (it's terrible quality video, brace yourself).

Hi guys,

I got my Y510p recently and wanted to swap that 24gb msata driver that come with the laptop with bigger one. did anyone had luck swapping it for higher capacity drive? Lenovo claims that this laptop can't use higher capacity drive.

Thanks

I am running a y500 and can't imagine the design to be that different from the Y510p. Mine came with a 16gb mSata, and I replaced it with a 256gb mSata as the primary hdd. Works fine for me.

I use this one.Amazon.com: Lite On Plextor M5M 0.85-Inch 256GB mSATA Solid State Drive (M5M 256GB): Computers & Accessories

I have the laptop and their isnt a msata connector, i ended up just replacing the hd with a solid state drive. I looked into soldering a connector but the pin setup they incorporated isnt even msata, its a new standard connector designed for turbo cashe and the drives slated for release dont go over 40 gb so it would be pretty lame as an os drive and im assuming the price is going to be through the roof.

If it's the m.2 connector (which the Y410p's have) I use a 128GB drive in mine I grabbed off Amazon, price wasn't too bad but it was a no-name brand. Loaded the OS on it and it after some brief arguments with the EFI BIOS it works fine.

That said, probably not worth soldering a m.2 connector on there for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

only some of early Y510P have m-sata socket. most of Y510p have 42*22mm ngff socket.

as you mentioned, you have a preassemble 24 ssd,it seems to be ngff.

42*22 ngff ssd is very limitted and quality is not so good.but it has up to 128g capacity.

my suggestion is to swap your hdd with a 2.5 inch ssd,and place you hdd in dvdrom

• 4 weeks later...

I am running on of the MyDigitalSSDs in my Y510p and it works perfectly as my boot drive. I did a fresh install with a new copy of windows on it so I can just put the old SSD/HDD back at anytime and have it back to stock. Currently I have the 128GB M.2 as my boot drive and a Crucial M400 as my D drive (replacing the 1 TB HDD).

• 4 years later...

It is pretty unfortunate that it's a M.2 2242 form factor. It's shorter than 2280 and does not provide much of replacement choice and normally more expensive. I got just hdd swapped out with a 2.5" ssd due to limited options 2242 provides.

• 2 weeks later...

On my Y510P I'm using Transcend MTS400 128GB M.2 drive and it is running very well for 3 years already, working fast and never had any problems with it. On our laptop the only length of M.2 which will fit is 42mm (currently known as 2242 type). At the moment, the maximum capacity that I could find is 240 GB with price of approx. 110 USD.