Lenovo T430 PE4L 2.1b installation help

warhound

Hi,

I was sent here by the Lenovo support community as they could not help me troubleshoot the issue I had while making a external video card work. Im hoping someone here would be able to better help me. Basically I have a T430 machine with a discrete as well as a integrated graphic card connected to a PE4H. The steps im following are:

1) Disabled NVS5400m (dGPU) in bios -- cant see the graphic card in device manager

2) Disabled HD4000 in device manager

3) Nvidia GeForce GT640 is viewable in device manager

Even after all this, there is no output to the external monitor from the video card. The laptop monitor stays on. ANd yes, once i plug the express card in the laptop, I have to do a restart before the exclamation mark against the GT640 in device manager dissapears.

Would i need a install of setup 1.X ? from my understanding that was only required if there were error 12, memory allocation errors. I beleive my laptop has Nvidia optimus, but i disabled it in Bios so shouldnt really matter.

my system specs are :

Windows 7 64 bit

4gb ram

Nvidia GT640 eGPU

Dedicated ATX power supply

Thanks in advance.

Re-enable the HD4000 iGPU in Device Manager. Win7 cannot use the eGPU without the primary bootup video device, the HD4000 in your case, being active.

I have tried that combination several times as well. Both the HD4000 and the eGPU are visible in the task manager. Unfortunately, there is no signal from the eGPU to the monitor. I took all my hardware to a computer repair shop and he was able to succesfully run this hardware on a older dell laptop but not on my thinkpad T430 :(

anything else i can try ?

I have tried that combination several times as well. Both the HD4000 and the eGPU are visible in the task manager. Unfortunately, there is no signal from the eGPU to the monitor. I took all my hardware to a computer repair shop and he was able to succesfully run this hardware on a older dell laptop but not on my thinkpad T430 :(

anything else i can try ?

Remove all NVidia and Intel HD4000 drivers. Install latest HD4000 and NVidia desktop driver checking the 'clean install' option for NVidia. If still no joy then reinstall Win7.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
can you suggest if these latest drivers that im looking for should be off the lenovo website or from Intel/Nvidia websites. Thanks

Have you solved this? I have a t430 and I'm planning on building a setup for eGpu. I'd really like your feed on this thank you. and are you using the pci-express card slot or the miniPCIexp under the bottom cover?

PS: this is the only post I found that related to eGpu and t430 so I'm sorry if this is a bump of an old topic.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I am not too good with all of these terms and this whole process is one big puzzle to me and I'm sure some other people are feeling the same way.

First, my problem is my computer is not recognizing my egpu when I look for it in device manager. In a related issue, when I try downloading the nvidia

driver, it checks for system compatibility and quickly shows this error message: "graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

Here is everything I have:

• My graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5 2x DVI / HDMI / D-SUB PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card Graphics Cards GV-N65TOC-2GI
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US)
  • I have the PE4L with expresscard adapter
  • I am running Windows 7 on a Lenovo T430
  • CPU: Intel i7-3520M
  • Current graphics: Intel HD4000 with switchable graphics to Nvidia NVS 5400M

Note: My PSU and graphics card run fine and the fans seem full speed. But it is still not being recognized. In my BIOs, I saw the expresscard slot is ENABLED and for my Display option, I picked Integrated Graphics, the other two options were Discrete Graphics and Nvidia Optimus. However the question below this asks if I want automatic Nvidia Optimus to be turned on which it is aka ENABLED. My last note is the Power for expresscard slot or something, not sure if it was the power section. But it said Generation1 or Automatic. It was initially on automatic but I switched to Generation1, didn't make a difference.

Questions:

1. Can I do the 1.2xOpt Setup? If so, are there additional steps I need to do to activate/enable it? I believe I can but I am not 100% on this
  2. What steps must I go through with my setup to get it working, I think I read the 1,2xopt is simple, pretty much plug in and play
  3. Following number 3, do I need to configure anything in BIOS?
  4. MY BIGGEST QUESTION: How do I connect the power supply to the PE4L? Do I only have to hook up the floppy connector and 2pin dupont cable?
  5. And what is the 6/8 pin connector concerning power? I read about this and I have a 6pin port on my graphics card. So I plugged one of the plugs from the power supply into it and started my computer and there was a black screen.

Here are some pictures of my current setup:

post-21400-14494996786795_thumb.jpg

My power supply with all of these cables. What do I do with them? Are they okay the way they are?

post-21400-1449499679028_thumb.jpg

This is my PE4L with the graphics card in it. The floppy connector is plugged in on the right and the dupont cord is on the left.

post-21400-14494996792894_thumb.jpg

This is my expresscard adapter plugged into the slot

post-21400-14494996795498_thumb.jpg

This is the 6 pin port thing I am confused about which caused concerns as well as problems.

Please help me out, I spent weeks searching for threads but it didn't give me the full picture. I am sure this thread would help beginners like myself as well.

THANKYOU

Hello,

I am not too good with all of these terms and this whole process is one big puzzle to me and I'm sure some other people are feeling the same way.

First, my problem is my computer is not recognizing my egpu when I look for it in device manager. In a related issue, when I try downloading the nvidia

driver, it checks for system compatibility and quickly shows this error message: "graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

Here is everything I have:

• My graphics card: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5 2x DVI / HDMI / D-SUB PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card Graphics Cards GV-N65TOC-2GI
  • Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US)
  • I have the PE4L with expresscard adapter
  • I am running Windows 7 on a Lenovo T430
  • CPU: Intel i7-3520M
  • Current graphics: Intel HD4000 with switchable graphics to Nvidia NVS 5400M

Note: My PSU and graphics card run fine and the fans seem full speed. But it is still not being recognized. In my BIOs, I saw the expresscard slot is ENABLED and for my Display option, I picked Integrated Graphics, the other two options were Discrete Graphics and Nvidia Optimus. However the question below this asks if I want automatic Nvidia Optimus to be turned on which it is aka ENABLED. My last note is the Power for expresscard slot or something, not sure if it was the power section. But it said Generation1 or Automatic. It was initially on automatic but I switched to Generation1, didn't make a difference.

Questions:

1. Can I do the 1.2xOpt Setup? If so, are there additional steps I need to do to activate/enable it? I believe I can but I am not 100% on this
  2. What steps must I go through with my setup to get it working, I think I read the 1,2xopt is simple, pretty much plug in and play
  3. Following number 3, do I need to configure anything in BIOS?
  4. MY BIGGEST QUESTION: How do I connect the power supply to the PE4L? Do I only have to hook up the floppy connector and 2pin dupont cable?
  5. And what is the 6/8 pin connector concerning power? I read about this and I have a 6pin port on my graphics card. So I plugged one of the plugs from the power supply into it and started my computer and there was a black screen.

THANKYOU

1. All of those pictures, we don't have permission to view them, check the privacy settings on them.

We have a slightly similar setup hardware wise. Yours is just a generation newer. Although I know Lenovos can be finicky when it comes to eGPU.

For hardware connections see my image album here:

eGPU setup - Imgur

Not overly clear for some of the things, but you want the floppy power to the PE4L as well as the 6/8pin PCI power to the GPU itself.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes you can do 1.2Opt

2. 1.2Opt is pretty much plug n play once other criterion are met. You will want to set your ExpressCard slot to Gen2 (I guess Automatic is your choice here)

3. Not sure about your graphic option, would guess either Integrated Graphics or Optimus. I'd start with Integrated, but then again, Lenovo finickiness might require a different setting.

4. see pics and little blurb at beginning of my reply

5. Your GPU must have power, you will want to keep that plugged in.

Perhaps take a look at my guide and T901 guide here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5230-general-egpu-guide-fujitsu-t901.html

You might need (probably will) Setup 1.x:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-x.html

Mega nifty, would recommend.

Pretty sure someone else has a eGPU on a T430. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Hope that helped! Lemme know if you got any more questions.

---

EDIT: came across this

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5454-lenovo-t430-t530-w530-etc-30series-ivy-bridge-pay-attention-solving-tolud.html

Assuming he did everything correctly. This isn't too promising. Not sure the allocation space you need with your particular eGPU though. Allocation requirements are not my forte.

If you want me to try a DSDT override for you lemme know. Check the links in my guide about it to help walk you through. The one to my DSDT guide has a dl link to some programs to help facilitate the process. All DSDT tables vary, I know one I looked at I couldn't perform a DSDT override. Hopefully you won't have that issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thankyou, I will fix what you said. Hopefully you can see the pictures now. My problem is with the last picture, that small 6pin port thing. Does there need to be a power cable inserted in there along with the fact that the floppy connector is already hooked up to the PSU in the 2nd picture. Other than that, I am not sure what is wrong. I'll update real soon!

Thankyou, I will fix what you said. Hopefully you can see the pictures now. My problem is with the last picture, that small 6pin port thing. Does there need to be a power cable inserted in there along with the fact that the floppy connector is already hooked up to the PSU in the 2nd picture. Other than that, I am not sure what is wrong. I'll update real soon!

I personally don't have the little 2 wire thing hooked up. Honestly no idea what it actually does lol.

You need the PSU hooked up to the 6pin on your GPU as shown in the last picture. Without it your GPU won't actually work at all. Once that is all hooked up then it's the software side to deal with.

You will have various errors and first, you just gotta go about finding one, fixing it, rinse and repeat.

Lemme know what you come across. Check with the main post (troubleshooting section) and my guide to see if you can discover any fixes. If you are still stuck, feel free to ask!

I GOT IT TO SHOW UP! So now everything is okay with my graphics card besides the fact that I have the error 12 lol.

This is what I did, before I mentioned that when I plug the PSU into the 6pin port on my graphics card, and turn on my computer I would just get a black screen. This is while the floppy connector is hooked up to the PE4L board as well. So I did the same thing but I let my computer fully boot to the home screen and then I plug in the adapter with my eGPU already turned on. I don't know how, but it was finally recognized and I was able to install the driver.

But now I have error 12. What are my options for this? And what is Setup 1x? Is it complicated because it seems pretty complicated?

Congrats!

Error 12 is the memory allocation issue. Since it is a Lenovo I'm not exactly sure how to fix. You will probably need Setup 1.x and/or a DSDT override.

@Tech Inferno Fan (Ping!) I'd want you to take over from here. I don't wanna steer him the wrong way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I keep seeing @Tech Inferno Fan pop-in on other things but perhaps he didn't get the ping in my post. He is the only I know to steer you the right direction. So I'll bump the thread for ya (count this as the 1 bump per 24hr rule).

inb4 Tech Inferno Fan shows up and ninjas me with input.

I keep seeing @Tech Inferno Fan pop-in on other things but perhaps he didn't get the ping in my post. He is the only I know to steer you the right direction. So I'll bump the thread for ya (count this as the 1 bump per 24hr rule).

inb4 Tech Inferno Fan shows up and ninjas me with input.

@angerthosenear , nscherer31 was sorted with Setup 1.x several days ago. We're just seeing a lag in progress feedback. Patten I see is users get it all working, then become busy gaming away and tell me a considerable time later, if at all, that it's all good :)

@angerthosenear , nscherer31 was sorted with Setup 1.x several days ago. We're hust seeing a lag in progress feedback. Generally when I don't hear anything back the user has got it all working and is too busy gaming away :)

Oh okay. I thought he was still in the dark. I know since it's Lenovo sometimes it can be finicky. Hopefully he'll get back to us since this would be the first T430 I know of. Probably the case - "testing it out." Thanks for the headsup.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.