i7 4770K Overclock

Are you running cooler on die? Or delid, repaste, relid? From what I've seen there is a spacing issue with the IHS.

Don't forget with Haswell there was a pretty meaty transistor increase so even though it may have a slower clock it is actually faster due to the increased transistor amount.

And as Brian said: Hurry up and get dat GPU!

• Founder

I tried to apply the waterblock directly to the cpu die but yeah the mobo couldn't recognise the cpu, probably uneven and not enough pressure on the cpu so I had to relid and apply ICD on both sides....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Guessing you removed all the fun adhesive that attached the IHS to the PCB of the CPU.

Here was the infos on the spacing issue I was talking about. For the 3770K, might be true for the 4770K as well.

Main post:

Delidded my i7-3770K, loaded temperatures drop by 20°C at 4.7GHz - AnandTech Forums

Post showing how reduction of the spacing (removal of IHS adhesive helps dramatically):

AnandTech Forums - View Single Post - Delidded my i7-3770K, loaded temperatures drop by 20°C at 4.7GHz

---

4770K on die cooling differences vs delid+repaste but still with IHS:

Haswell Delidded - [H]ard|Forum

--

Still might be worth trying to get your on die cooling working. But as others said, OC'ing a Haswell isn't going to work that great. I'm just used to fretting over temperatures; my little volcano of a laptop loves running extremely hot to the point it warped the whole left side of my laptop <_<

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Thanks for those links, I had them all checked out before I decided to delid mine... I encountered the exact same problem with the guy that tried to mount the waterblock directly to the die.

I just ordered 2 tubes of Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and I will make another attempt to lower temps.

Also one of those would be awesome...

post-3-14494996783545_thumb.jpg

screenshota005.jpg

• 2 months later...

Whelp. The stock cooler is less than adequate for a 4.5Ghz OC (what a surprise).

IvdhoN0.jpg

4.5GHz @ 1.26V

Waiting on the end of the NZXT Cable Management Challenge to see if I won the Kraken X60. If I don't then I'll be buying a X60 >_>

I can't even hit 4.2 with that voltage....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Oh man really? That's horrible ;-;

I'm non-delidded and stock cooler / paste. @BlitzXFire is on a custom water loop and can't even hit 4.1 @ 1.3V (he didn't bother de-lidding since there is no OC potential really).

Thanks for those links, I had them all checked out before I decided to delid mine... I encountered the exact same problem with the guy that tried to mount the waterblock directly to the die.

I just ordered 2 tubes of Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and I will make another attempt to lower temps.

Also one of those would be awesome...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10080[/ATTACH]

screenshota005.jpg

What is this thinger called? And where can I get one?

No idea... if you find out let me know as well...

From what I can find, it was supposedly supposed to come with the Asus Maximus VI Extreme, but that didn't happen (I have a friend with this board, and he didn't get one).

No idea on how to get one.

I'll probably order some CLU and delid and put it on both sides of the IHS whenever I get a cooler. Still waitin on the NZXT contest to see if won the Kraken X60 (ends the 31st).

What else can I do (beside increasing core voltage) to increase stability for OC?

I managed to get to 4.7GHz @ 1.29V by lowering my RAM speed to 2133 from 2400.

What else can I do? I'unno what these other voltages are that I can change.

---

nm [email protected] | 2133 wasn't stable

What else can I do (beside increasing core voltage) to increase stability for OC?

I managed to get to 4.7GHz @ 1.29V by lowering my RAM speed to 2133 from 2400.

What else can I do? I'unno what these other voltages are that I can change.

---

nm [email protected] | 2133 wasn't stable

Turn off spread spectrum for an extra .25% clockspeed if you haven't already. For IVB sometimes it helped to have VCCSA and VCCIO close together. You can also raise those 2 for higher memory overclocks. Also turning off C-states may help you get higher.

I can confirm, I have purchased two Maximus VI extreme boards and they do not have it.

The top I get get my haswell is 4.9ghz but I had to go through 8 cpu's to find one that clocks decently.

PS: Greek power! It is always nice to find a fellow Greek.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I can confirm, I have purchased two Maximus VI extreme boards and they do not have it.

The top I get get my haswell is 4.9ghz but I had to go through 8 cpu's to find one that clocks decently.

PS: Greek power! It is always nice to find a fellow Greek.

Greetings from Athens @oni222, glad you joined T|I. What's your voltage and what cooling did you use for that frequency? Btw how did you manage to cycle through so many CPUs to find a good one? I am really tempted to sell mine but what's holding me back is the thought of getting a worse OCer than that...

• Thumbs Up 1

Greetings from Athens @oni222, glad you joined T|I. What's your voltage and what cooling did you use for that frequency? Btw how did you manage to cycle through so many CPUs to find a good one? I am really tempted to sell mine but what's holding me back is the thought of getting a worse OCer than that...

I used to live in Palio Faliro but now I live in Florida. I used Amazon to return "Bin" the cpu's with free overnight shipping, I love Amazon!

My cpu is delided with Cool laboratory liquid meltal. My case is a corsair 900D and has more fans than Justin Bieber :P

I used the corsair H100i for cpu cooling until I get a proper custom loop setup. I have my exact build in another forum but I am not sure if I can post their link as my sig, so I won't try it :P

I can hit 5ghz but it will not survive a 24 hour stress test so it is not a true OC. 4.9ghz is my cap, for a true over clock that can run for week without a BSOD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hehe... that's a nice way to cherry pick a CPU indeed... that's almost impossible here... so I am stuck at 4.4GHz as my daily driver...

Trust me I know how you feel! I used to spend most my time near the Polytehnio trying to find good prices on computer parts and having to deal with near impossible return policies.

Luckily now I live in the states and you can literally get anything if you complain enough..... Yep that is the American way lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Add me to the list of poor overclocking Haswells...

Brand new 4770k...

Can't seem to get it stable at 4.4GHz. I've got it at 1.31v right now after my last WHEA just happened at 1.3v

Not happy. Corsair H100i is keeping it relatively cool (75C under load with AI Suite on the silent fan setting) but I'm going to replace this POS with a Devil's Canyon. Sucks that I literally just got the chip yesterday (actually built the whole machine yesterday - the H100i is noisy as hell, praying it doesn't fail because the NZXT Phantom 410 does not make it easy to do anything with the water cooler... I'd have to pull out the entire mobo. It doesn't seem too bad on silent mode though and temps are acceptable so I'm not terribly concerned about that but the voltage... I don't know, I think when you can't get it stable at 1.3v, its time to get a new chip or accept that it just won't go there.

It won't even do a stable 4.2GHz overclock on stock voltage. -_-

EDIT: Wow, OCCT trashed it. That Linpack AVX is no joke. Hit 86C in a minute, 45 seconds and stopped. By the way, its actually 4.2GHz when all 4 cores are going (apparently the BIOS unlinked the cores, I had it set for all cores, not per core) and its still WHEA... this is one seriously horrible chip.

Luckily ASUS went against Intel and released a BIOS update to add Devils Canyon to their upper tier Z87 boards so I don't have to give up my VI Formula just yet. I turned off the OC for now. No point.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk