Acer Aspire TimelineX 5830TG, 4830TG and 3830TG

Nando

Yeah it sucks. What's the point on buying the newest laptop if you can't run it higher than *chuckle* 1.2 GHz each core? Might as well then just get some older core2duo from any of the outlet stores. Btw I almost puked from this amount of glossiness. And don't get me even started with M11x hinges.

I hope manufacturers take this as a lesson and try better in future laptops.

Wow that truly sucks... That's just like the average laptop has one fan instead of independent ones for each component. I have experience with Dell and HP computers throttling.

• 1 month later...
Guest Matthew Mark Luke

I've just bought this 5830TG and yeah it performs great on StarCraft 2 and other current games for atleast 10 minutes :( what I did is underclock the GPU a little and it'w working perfect now.. I'll try ThrottleStop as well, I'll see which one will give me a better result.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky for me that I got a Non-throttling 3830TG, that holds it's temp @ 87C details on high while playing Command and Conquer 4. Don't know if that's a credible game to test on. That's w/o using throttlestop. Design is awesome, build quality is below average. I can't complain though. It's the cheapest full SB dual core cpu with a legit gaming card for less than $1k. I am still saving and will be purchasing alienware in the future.

Some more testing is showing that Acer is using CPU throttling to cool their new Sandy Bridge laptops down because they cheaped out on the cooling solution. So far, Acer, HP and Asus are all pulling shit like this with some of their new Sandy Bridge laptops.

While gaming, the Core i5-2410M in the 3830TG first turned off Turbo Boost and dropped from 2700 MHz down to the default 2300 MHz. That's crap but 30 seconds later it's a real kick in the balls when it drops down to 1200 MHz and stays there. Frame rates go in the toilet after that. No use waiting for a bios update because this is just bad design. They are depending on consumers to be stupid and to put up with a new Sandy Bridge laptop that runs at less than half of its Intel designed speed while gaming.

Finally a chance to use the smiley that shows exactly how Acer is treating their customers.

:Banane56:

I played CounterStrike: Source the moment I got it out of the box, that's when I experienced the throttling issue and installed throttlestop. Then I installed Command and Conquer 4, propped the back part of the laptop about 2 1/2 inches above the desk, and played for 2 hours and didn't see any frame drops. I didn't even use throttlestop that time. I might have just lucked out on the models....

I might DL Battlefield Bad Co. 2 instead, I'll try that, since I have no copy of GTA4 or plan to get one since I am not a fan.. I have Mafia2 though, would that work? Well, I'll download it anyway, also Just Cause 2... maybe that will test the machine to the limits..

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest gustokonyan

The first time i used my 4830tg, there is a nice icon and level indicator whenever I adjust the screen brightness and sound using the function+arrow keys. Also, a nice wifi and bluetooth toggler when i use fn+F3.

Now they are all gone.

How can i get them back?

Thankss

Sound like you need to reinstall the hotkey driver to restore it function, maybe is a app/driver from Acer that had disabled. I think you need to look in the Acer Website and try to find the proper app that control the hotkey in the keyboard and reinstall it

• 2 months later...

4830TG optical drive over-enthusiastic

Jumped in with little research and bought this puppy two weeks ago. May have been a bit premature after reading some of these posts.

I have noticed that the optical drive regularly and randomly activates. Sounds a bit like R2D2 turning his head. I think its probably the drive for the laser but not 100% on this. I thought perhaps the bios may for some reason have given boot priority to the drive but no it hasn't. I then turned off all the auto play features I could find. No change. I note that 7 times out of 10 when I click on the drive in device manager, I get the noise. I never get the noise if the drawer is open.

It doesn't really bother me too much but it doesn't seem right and probably contributes to battery drain. Acer help desk was anything but. None of my previous machines have done this.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Edited by Sudsy

• Founder
4830TG optical drive over-enthusiastic

Jumped in with little research and bought this puppy two weeks ago. May have been a bit premature after reading some of these posts.

I have noticed that the optical drive regularly and randomly activates. Sounds a bit like R2D2 turning his head. I think its probably the drive for the laser but not 100% on this. I thought perhaps the bios may for some reason have given boot priority to the drive but no it hasn't. I then turned off all the auto play features I could find. No change. I note that 7 times out of 10 when I click on the drive in device manager, I get the noise. I never get the noise if the drawer is open.

It doesn't really bother me too much but it doesn't seem right and probably contributes to battery drain. Acer help desk was anything but. None of my previous machines have done this.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Have you done a clean windows install? Its possible that a program in the background keeps accessing it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

I agree with the above thought by Brian. If you have roxio or numerous other media burning solutions or players perhaps its is like said above a background service of one of them. If your not keen on the clean windows install perhaps uninstall/reinstall media type apps to see if it stops. Perhaps a media key is faulty and pressing a function like my mothers Dell Studio 15 has a faulty media panel on occasion presses itself and initiates an eject command. This happens randomly during use.. As I am sure your not having random eject command initiating it still could be media key like play pause etc and if that's a thing on your system perhaps disable it in device manager to see if problem continues. If it doesn't perhaps Acer needs to replace a faulty media button which keeps pressing itself by itself like the Dell Studio system in my example... just a thought. Was it purchased within return period... Perhaps complain now immediately and get a repair or RMA on the unit before they say blah blah not in return period etc... Don't expect it to go away though... This dell studio is years old and still does it hopefully you get resolution.

Thanks guysI have only installed Photoshop 7 and Office 2003 so far so I doubt that something is accessing the drive unless it is McAfee accessing the drive. It came loaded with Windows. Maybe a dodgy media key. I will investigate when I get back home. I have noticed a slightly sticky/catching right arrow key, so maybe the assembly of the keyboard is a bit dodgy.

Thanks guysI have only installed Photoshop 7 and Office 2003 so far so I doubt that something is accessing the drive unless it is McAfee accessing the drive. It came loaded with Windows. Maybe a dodgy media key. I will investigate when I get back home. I have noticed a slightly sticky/catching right arrow key, so maybe the assembly of the keyboard is a bit dodgy.

Actually now you mention the antivirus software you use it is VERY likely that McAfee is set in a option you will need to find to read disk drive for viruses too I suggest you make sure there is no such option on deep within its configuration because that would certainly cause unnecessary reads on the optical drive I have used a few other virus software's that do this too like Nod32 and many more. It may not be but it's worth looking into. almost every savvy security and virus expert says never use Mcafee... I had it on a system it came with and it caused bsods and even widespread bsods one year from a single McAfee update rendered many users non bootable. I as do probably most here recommend another software Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works great. If you need more advanced try Panda Antivirus. I hope you resolve this issue otherwise asap contact Acer for resolution to this matter as this is not likely to go away if it's not software related. Call em out on their dodgy hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually now you mention the antivirus software you use it is VERY likely that McAfee is set in a option you will need to find to read disk drive for viruses too I suggest you make sure there is no such option on deep within its configuration because that would certainly cause unnecessary reads on the optical drive I have used a few other virus software's that do this too like Nod32 and many more. It may not be but it's worth looking into. almost every savvy security and virus expert says never use Mcafee... I had it on a system it came with and it caused bsods and even widespread bsods one year from a single McAfee update rendered many users non bootable. I as do probably most here recommend another software Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works great. If you need more advanced try Panda Antivirus. I hope you resolve this issue otherwise asap contact Acer for resolution to this matter as this is not likely to go away if it's not software related. Call em out on their dodgy hardware.

I agree with you...McAfee sucks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok

turned off Mcafee and fiddled with the media keys--nothing. It appears unrelated to these. I shall run a few trials to get an idea of the current battery life of the machine. If the hours are down on what ACER claim (and I shall only be surfing web and emailing) then I'm assuming the actuator, drive, solenoid or whatever the little sucker is that wont stay asleep, is draining the battery. I'll do another trial with the drawer open to see if battery life is different and if it is I'm shunting it back for a warranty job.

Ok

turned off Mcafee and fiddled with the media keys--nothing. It appears unrelated to these. I shall run a few trials to get an idea of the current battery life of the machine. If the hours are down on what ACER claim (and I shall only be surfing web and emailing) then I'm assuming the actuator, drive, solenoid or whatever the little sucker is that wont stay asleep, is draining the battery. I'll do another trial with the drawer open to see if battery life is different and if it is I'm shunting it back for a warranty job.

i would go straight to warranty replacement and send that damaged unit back in that case. Good luck dont take no they try to act like they dont need to take care of it..

• 8 months later...

Welcome to Tech Inferno tkone. Nice what else have you played on it if you have? Throttle Stop is an awesome program and its creator is also a very nice guy.

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

• 1 month later...