[HARDWARE MOD] Improve PCH & VRM cooling

daheadtuzi

hello,

maybe i'm the newest owner of p157sm in this forum

4700mq and 780m are rly impressive, those little monsters lol

and their temps is rly good, about 40@idle and 70@dota2

but I found dat PCH cooling is rly poor, about 70@idle and nearly 100@any game, and its temp is so hard to drop

so is there any solution to save this poor PCH?:06:

It's high, but I don't think it matters. All hm, em, and sm laptops are like that. Remember that while hot, this is a low power chip, so there aren't hot spots on it like a cpu that are even hotter than the temp readings. Also the temperature changes slowly, so I don't think the solder bumps get stressed.

hello,

maybe i'm the newest owner of p157sm in this forum

4700mq and 780m are rly impressive, those little monsters lol

and their temps is rly good, about 40@idle and 70@dota2

but I found dat PCH cooling is rly poor, about 70@idle and nearly 100@any game, and its temp is so hard to drop

so is there any solution to save this poor PCH?:06:

I'd be a bit worried about 100 during any game. Have you run into any shutdowns yet? It might be worth looking into repasting to get a drop of a couple degrees

I saw in the service manual that the PCH was on the top side of the motherbord a few milimeters below the plastic under the keyboard. If you put a thermal pad between the PCH and that bit of plastic you may get a temperature drop. Plastic doesn't conducte heat very good but it's better than nothing... I think that a 10 degree drop is possible with that methode.

ye but there is only 1 PCB between dat 70c PCH and 780m, the high temp maybe do no harm to PCH but i think the heat will go to 780m too

I think it's insignificant compared to the amount of heat from the 780m's backside memory and VRMs.

If you really want to cool it I suppose you could throw a thin copper plate on it which will drop the temperature like 5C, but I don't think the risk of having something that can be dislodged and short out something is worth it. To really drop it we need to get airflow across something touching the pch, which I don't think is possible.

So how hot does your pch get with it?

Temperatures range from "OW!" to "Dayuuuuummm that's hot"

Prema plays on his lappy with gloves on now.

--

Note: I don't really know where the PCH is so I'm guessing from this thread it's on the top side of the mobo underneath the palmrest?

Perhaps you can do something like Prema and cut a little hole. Then use some super glue (I use Loctite Super Glue Gel Control) and some mesh to prevent large things from falling in. I used a kitchen strainer mesh for my fan intake hole.

There is Artic Silver two component Thermal Adhesive, the thermal pads also have their own double sided thermal tape.

It couldn't move even when put on loose, as there is no space to any side to move.

All heat is going into the copper block, which has no physical contact with the keyboard, and then taken out by the fan directly next to it. It's running an estimated about 10-20c cooler...

P1xHM:

clevop150hmservicemanua.jpg

P1xEM:

clevop150emservicemanua.jpg

P1xSM:

1xpw.jpg

Ha ha ha, right I mixed things up since I have a copper block on both. Cooling the voltage regulator had the bigger impact on my system OC stabillity with 330W PSU so I had my mind set on it. The VR doesn't require a cut-out, the PCH is the one with the cut-out.

Sorry! :)

Not fond of the perceptively over-heating PCH; might even go so far as to call it designed failure. I have a 9380-s, pch is directly under the keyboard (right side almost squarely underneath the enter and \ keys).

There is absolutely 0 air flow here, so adding a copper mini heatsink does nothing on its own (just adds something else to absorb heat, but doesn't really dissipate it)

I actually have the screws for the keyboard out, when im going to be playing a game that hits 100c+ i flip the keyboard up and away (so its face down over the awful trackpad), temp's drop 20c+ with just 'access' to air.

I was actually thinking about adding some small screened vents on both sides of the keyboard, maybe a led or two as well, would look pretty nice and allow for SOME air flow.

Maybe im just too old school, but 100c is too much for me to feel comfy with, just too much heat being absorbed by various smaller components.

^wow that doesn't sound right, I have the "regular" 9380 and my PCH doesn't go above 75C even after gaming for several hours. And I'm playing a fairly demanding game (Sleeping Dogs) with everything on max settings too.

I don't think games should make the PCH hotter. Something like a lot of SSD access I think should though.

I'm not sure, but my PCH averages around 55 C when just web browsing, and climbs to about 75 C under heavy gaming, but turning the settings from max to high seem to drop the temps by about 5C.

If you look at the P370SM service manual, you can see that the MB has a few cut-outs right under the master GPU fan. I wonder if those cut outs are to allow some air to be moved under the keyboard area, where the RAM and mSATA (if installed) + the PCH is? Might also explain the temp difference if I turn the settings down, because the slave GPU gets much cooler.