Lenovo Y580 Power Consumption

schranzmaster

I noticed that the CPU, the i7-3630QM, starts to throttle while I'm playing really demanding games like Crysis 3.

But the temperatures are good, because I repasted my Y580 some time ago... (->no thermal throttling)

post-10385-14494996774791_thumb.png

(CPU throttles down to 1500Mhz, Throttlestop made no difference when turned on, in this picture turned off)

So I thought about why the CPU throttles down although the temperatures are good. I saw some tests about the Y580 which present the power consumption in really demanding games/under full load.

It was about ~111W... And the AC-adapter is about 120W

But I don't run the GPU, the GTX 660m, at stock clocks. I overclocked it to 1200Mhz on core and 3000Mhz on memory... The vBIOS forces the 660m to stay at 1,1V for maximum stock stability...

That's why I was pretty sure, that the power of the 120W AC adapter isn't enough for my machine.

I tested it and I bought a replacement adapter for Asus Notebooks (G73JW-TZ087V, G53JW-SZ098V, G53J, G53JW-IX159V, G73JW-91121V, G73Jh, G73JH-TZ091V, Asus Lamborghini VX7) (it has the same connector 5.5*2.5 mm, and 19V) which has 150W, for like 25€.

That should be enough power for my overclocked GPU and prevent the CPU from throttling...

THE RESULT

With the stock adapter (120W) the power consumption of my overclocked Y580 goes sometimes up to 143W. Thats the moment when the CPU starts to throttle.

post-10385-14494996775202_thumb.jpg

With the new adapter (150W) the power consumption goes sometimes to a maximum of 162W. But the new adapter manages this and I noticed no more throttling.

post-10385-14494996775726_thumb.jpg

post-10385-14494996776169_thumb.png

I just used FurMark and Prime95 for screenshots. In games like Crysis 3 the power consumption is ~10 Watts lower.

I'm happy with my new purchase, now my machine is complete throttle-free :)

Merry Christmas, dudes

Extremely interesting! Great find. Now I'm curious if my Y510p has the same issue with its two graphics cards. The cpu should use less power as it's a fourth gen though. The adapter that comes with the Y510p is a 170w

If your graphics cards are also overclocked, then it is quite possible.

And a new power adapter isn't expensive, you just have to make sure that it has the correct values ​​and the correct connection.

So good luck :)

That they are :rapture: