New a03 bios for m14x!

Sorry Michael. The link is down again. Dell support has been down for days now. I have called 3 times trying to get some stuff done to my m14x. I did have time to quickly download the file if someone needs it before it went down. Im a bit scared to apply it as I really like the performance so far and the options in the bios. I want to make sure they dont take them away before I apply.

• Founder

Yeah, i know what you mean, i remember the fiasco with A08 bios of the M17x-R2 where they locked down the performance of extreme CPUs, who's to say they won't do something similar with other models ?

Do you have A02 to roll back to ?

updated today... no problems... but there a only 4 fixes:

01.> Modify when playing games, system would shutdown in DC mode.

02.> Fix DTM test fail solution(ACPI driver resume time).

03.> Update NV VBios for Samsung 128Mx16.

04.> Fix FFS no function when resume from S3 with ATA mode.

as said... my A03 works fine !

• Thumbs Up 1

I read somewhere that in A03 they completely removed the ability to set the GPU to maximum performance while on battery.

I guess they figured it would be cheaper than providing better batteries or doing some kind of recall.

Regardless I'm happy with the laptop and the way it performs. I honestly only do my gaming anyways while connected to the A/C adapter. Whats the point of gaming on battery if you are just killing the lifespan of the battery and it only lasts less than 1 hour of heavy gaming.

Anyone of you think we're being cheated because of the faulty design? Come on, Bios update? that's it?

-No fan changes,

-Disabled max performance in battery mode, even then, still sluggish performance.

tsk tsk.

Just no way your going to get max performance for more than about 25 minutes (maybe 30 on extreme if your luckY) with our battery. Not trying to argue here but we would need a larger battery with more amp hours if Im not too sleepy to use the correct verbage.

I kinda wondered why alienware gimped this with the same battery from a smaller less powerful laptop. Maybe they will upgrade the battery in future and allow users to upgrade. Or it would be sweet if a third party company would put out a replacement with better specs.

time will tell... its a new product... let them work on it... (but i still think its really a shame that in the bios update is no fan change)

The m14x is going to be new until the R2. And after that, they're going to try to steal again all our moneys. And probably won't give us discounts..

Going to stick with A01 or now. No need for the bios to control my "battery" settings. I am doing fine on my own.

I'm doing the same. Unless there is a way to modify the bios to give us the other fixes sans the GPU Lock.